AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter)
AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
1/12/23 11:27 a.m.

I have had a '72 Porsche 914 on FB Marketplace for a few days. No cash offers yet, but a couple trade inquiries. The plan is to sell a few cars to have space and time to finish priority projects.

Today while clicking a few "Yes it's available." responses, a message came in asking if I'd trade for two 1970 VW Camper Busses. 'Seller' says that the white bus is worth saving and the other is good for parts (has drivetrain). Here's pics:

Aside from the obvious 'two busses for one 914 is not downsizing', what does the all-knowing GRM Hive advise?

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UltraDork
1/12/23 11:37 a.m.

What are you asking for the 914 ?

Those are Westfalia campers  , 68-70 with drum brakes , 

it really matters how much rust needs fixing , but you can buy all the repair panels , 

it shows a stock looking 1600 motor , easy to work on but underpowered ,  you are just going to be in the slow lane and down shifting for hills , 

I have put 100,000 miles plus on  old VW camper buses ,  these would sell out here if they were not too rusty.

1/12/23 11:58 a.m.

In reply to californiamilleghia :

$2k for the 914. It has all the rust, but is complete except for a few peripherals and has a clear title. Cranks, but fuel system (at least) needs to be gone through before running.

One of the busses has a California RV plate on the side and both have a "good VIN" - I don't think that means they come with a title, but  an 'Oklahoma Court Ordered Title' isn't hard to get.

cfvwtuner
cfvwtuner Reader
1/12/23 2:24 p.m.

both early westies, both missing pop top and thus just have big sunroff holes in the roof.  Slow, dangerous, underpowered, but highly collectable if drivable.  He should have no problem selling those if they arent too bad, but they are probably too bad.  As an avid Aircooled fan with a 70 westy hidden away in moms garage.....I wouldnt take that trade

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UltraDork
1/12/23 2:32 p.m.

See if he has the rest of the Fiberglass pop top roof and if the camper stuff is still in the back , 

Rear bumpers are also normally missing , 

But really unless you want a VW Camper you are just trading for a big job , 

1/12/23 2:40 p.m.

In reply to cfvwtuner :

They are both missing the top, but at least they have been covered for a while with strapped down plywood. I expect that a proper restoration is pretty expensive, but parts seem to be available.

I informed Mrs AAZCD what I was considering and she said yes to a VW bus (I may not have been clear there was also a parts car). 914 is being marked as Pending and we plan to execute the deal late next week.

Tom1200
Tom1200 UberDork
1/12/23 3:02 p.m.

No no and no.

The point  was to make space and time to finish projects........and when exactly are you going to finish these would be projects??

As someone with actual ADD (not just the automotive kind) I will tell you if you ever want to finish a project it's one at a time. Very few people have the ability to juggle multiples.

Unless you plan on flipping them the next day because they are easier to sell than the 914 (they are not) then the answer is NO!

1/12/23 3:04 p.m.

I am familiar with driving a VW that is challenged by hills. I had a diesel VW Transporter in the late '90s in Germany. Fun car around town, but 50 km/h with a load going up hill.

Tom1200
Tom1200 UberDork
1/12/23 3:11 p.m.

In reply to AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter) :

If the wife has agreed there is pretty much no turning back..............

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
1/12/23 3:18 p.m.

Nope. Bad trade. 

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
1/12/23 3:22 p.m.

A $2000 914?

Why haven't you listed it here?

1/12/23 3:28 p.m.

Before I had it marked as Pending a local cash buyer said he wants to get it this weekend (unseen). If he buys it cash, good. If not, I get two busses.

1/12/23 3:33 p.m.
SV reX said:

A $2000 914?

Why haven't you listed it here?

I didn't exactly list it for sale, but did say it was for sale in my 'too many builds thread'.

JThw8
JThw8 UltimaDork
1/12/23 6:27 p.m.

value for value it may be an even trade but you are in for a world of sadness with those two busses.   Neither will be easy or cheap to get anywhere near a driveable state.

RacerBoy75
RacerBoy75 New Reader
1/12/23 8:48 p.m.

I felt nauseated when I saw the picture of the engine compartment! 

I'd say no, just too much work in those busses.

Hey, I'm an air-cooled VW guy.

No to those buses.  Run away, run away fast.   Have patience selling the 914.

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
1/13/23 7:57 a.m.

I'm an air-cooled VW guy too. My first car was a 1966 split window bus. So was my 2nd. 

Purple Frog is right. You will drown in those 2 buses. Have patience with the 914. 

1/13/23 8:22 a.m.

I now have a cash buyer planning to meet tonight after work to buy the 914. This is one that I chose not to restore because of the extent of the rust, but I have seen worse cars restored on 914world.com.

Meanwhile I deleted my week old ad for an '04 Sequoia. In the current sub $5k market here, it seems like everyone wants to trade or offer 60% of market value. It's only a couple weeks until Tax return time. The third row seating will sell easily to someone with a pocket full of child tax credit money.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/13/23 8:29 a.m.
AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter) said:

The plan is to sell a few cars to have space and time to finish priority projects.

Just repeating this in case you need to hear it again. I'm in a similar boat - spread too thin to enjoy anything. 

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
1/13/23 8:33 a.m.

That's good

captainawesome
captainawesome Dork
1/13/23 10:40 a.m.

I sent you a text about that Sequoia. It may be something I'm looking for.

1/13/23 11:07 p.m.

The 914 is sold for cash. Captainawesome inquired about the Sequoia, but learned it is not 4x4 and lost interest. My pockets are full of cash and I plan to work on current projects on my days off next week. I'm going to step back from being a used car salesman until February.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
BUZK8AVjAprCIJstG58wOZesoYSL3C3lX5SepICvb7KW3IXql6wa7pG21nuW5sd8