1 2 3
ThePhranc
ThePhranc Dork
5/30/12 6:00 p.m.

Finally after a few months I can get back to working on the Spirit. Too bad I have to fix all the things the woman who rear ended me first.

Most of the work is already done for me. Its an 80 AMC Spirit with Chevy small block, th350 trans and Ford 8.8 posi housing 410:1 rear gears.

It doesn't show in the picture but every piece of that trim is broken. Prices are crazy to replace and down right retarded for NOS. That emblem is $80 on ebay and the Buckets are close to $200 for one. SO those I will try to repair. Or make custom parts.

The first thing to fix was the dead battery. Replaced that and the car started right up. Relief but I have to run down a serious draw issue. Just not enough time in the day. After thats done I will install this:

It's everything I need to install the headers and side pipes. Tomorrow I take a sawzall to the mangled mess of exhaust that there now. And since what is there was a custom welded painted exhaust I will be replacing it with welded tubes. My HF welder crapped out so I got this:

It's an Eastwood 175 unit. Rather impressed with it so far. The gun for alum is very handy. It came with a helmet too that got some sticker treatment

With all the old exhaust gone and out of the way I will put a starter blanket on the starter and some heat sleeve on the wires leading to it. The headers will also be getting wrapped. The underhood temps are bad.

More to follow like extra elec fans, MSD w/rev limiter, spoiler ( awesome score. needs paint and a crack repaired but I have just the right chemicals to fix that), custom front lip, drop plates and lowering blocks, sway bars.... and more

It take a bit of work to transform someones old bracket racer into a good street machine.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/30/12 6:57 p.m.

Subscribed!

PM/Email me if you need AMC parts though, the family is sitting on bucket loads of that stuff. Might have what you need for cheap.

ThePhranc
ThePhranc Dork
5/30/12 6:59 p.m.

Will do.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid SuperDork
5/30/12 7:06 p.m.

Nice

Will keep tabs on this project

DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade SuperDork
5/30/12 7:35 p.m.

Side Pipes? I'm in.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet Dork
5/30/12 8:59 p.m.

I approve of this thread.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/30/12 9:08 p.m.

Nice

fastEddie
fastEddie SuperDork
5/30/12 9:23 p.m.

Ooo, I'm in!

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero Dork
5/30/12 10:53 p.m.

Awesome!!

How do ya like that welder thus far?

ThePhranc
ThePhranc Dork
5/31/12 5:47 a.m.

The welder is great. I've only tested it on 16g aluminized steel in prep for the exhaust and .040 alum and it did really well for thin stuff. The adjustability is very nice.

EricM
EricM SuperDork
5/31/12 7:32 a.m.

So cool

peter
peter Reader
5/31/12 8:29 a.m.

My grandma had a '79 (I believe) in that exact shade of ... maroon?... except with a reddish velour interior. Did NOT have a large Chevy engine in it, but one of the first cars I ever drove. I always thought doing something like this would be fun.

I was always amused by the gas filler behind the license plate.

Watching this, especially if yours could be traced back to a little old lady in Michigan...

ThePhranc
ThePhranc Dork
5/31/12 9:03 a.m.

The colour is "sparkling poop brown". I believe the factory called it "dark brown metallic".

I may get another small AMC like a Concord coup and put a nice inline 6 with modern Jeep parts. I really like this platform.

Javelin
5/31/12 9:04 a.m.

So when are you going to pull out that Chevy for a real (AMC) motor?

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury UltimaDork
5/31/12 9:09 a.m.

awesome thread!

ThePhranc
ThePhranc Dork
5/31/12 9:29 a.m.
Javelin wrote: So when are you going to pull out that Chevy for a real (AMC) motor?

I bought it for the exact reason it didn't have an AMC motor. If something breaks I can walk to the speed shop and get a part instead of spending days sourcing stuff.

I would love to have an 68-70 AMX with AMC V8.

Cotton
Cotton Dork
5/31/12 9:31 a.m.

I love it

Javelin
5/31/12 11:40 a.m.

In reply to ThePhranc:

There isn't a single AMC V8 part that's NLA. You can pick everything up at NAPA, O'Reilly, etc. let alone Summit, RockAuto, etc. Seriously. It isn't 1992 anymore. New blocks, new heads, new pistons, rods, cranks, cams, bearings, all of it is available. Cheap, too (not SBC cheap, but getting down there, cheaper than Olds, Buick, BBC, BBF, B/RB ChryCo, etc).

bravenrace
bravenrace PowerDork
5/31/12 11:45 a.m.

In reply to Javelin:

I can't even walk into Summit and get a small block ford part most of the time. I seriously doubt they stock AMC parts. But they probably do drop ship from the manufacturer or distributor warehouse. That said, I'm for engine swaps when they make sense. This one may from purely a cost perspective, but in every other way that car needs and AMC mill.

ThePhranc
ThePhranc Dork
5/31/12 11:53 a.m.

My local speed shop isn't a Summit :(

Ebay has lots of AMC stuff too but none of it is within walking distance of the shop.

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA Dork
5/31/12 11:58 a.m.
ThePhranc wrote: 1980 AMC Spirit build thread

That's a combination of words I thought I'd never see. I love build threads. Looks like a fun one. On with the show...

DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade SuperDork
5/31/12 12:37 p.m.
bravenrace wrote: That said, I'm for engine swaps when they make sense. This one may from purely a cost perspective, but in every other way that car needs a LSx!

Fixed that for you. I'm sure it was a mistype.

bravenrace
bravenrace PowerDork
5/31/12 12:49 p.m.
DoctorBlade wrote:
bravenrace wrote: That said, I'm for engine swaps when they make sense. This one may from purely a cost perspective, but in every other way that car needs a LSx!
Fixed that for you. I'm sure it was a mistype.

You couldn't be moar rong.

ThePhranc
ThePhranc Dork
5/31/12 12:54 p.m.

I'd rather a TT fuel injected small block over an LS.

There is plenty of room for it.

DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade SuperDork
5/31/12 2:06 p.m.
You couldn't be moar rong.

Of course I could, just not about how cool LS engines are.

I'll quit hijacking the build thread, even.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8gUTWmmVIHMJbNIJNB5CHAP09VfyPEHgfZKVyZ4vgA28Vxo5ede1ZZntxYJ8p0Cd