RichardSIA
RichardSIA Dork
9/11/21 4:16 p.m.

Have a chance to buy an RX7 convertible that runs (150K miles) but has a bad clutch.
CA car, faded paint but no obvious accident damage, basket weave wheels.

Do these bring enough money to bother with a rescue and clutch replacement?
Or just let it go to scrap?

Greg Voth
Greg Voth Dork
9/11/21 6:29 p.m.

Probably worthwhile even if it's just to part out. The value of RX7s and parts have gone up pretty sharply in recent years. 

RichardSIA
RichardSIA Dork
9/11/21 6:38 p.m.

By the time I pay fees and transport I would be into it for about $2K.
No idea what a clutch cost or how bad to replace.

Real question would it be worth more than $3K as a driver?
Seems to be a somewhat rare car since I could not find any others for sale as comparison.

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/11/21 7:41 p.m.

to most people FC verts are parts cars/engine donors, i personally like them but i never see them go for more than 4k for a decent driver. the engine if it has good compression and everything is likely worth most of that 2k.

RichardSIA
RichardSIA Dork
9/11/21 8:25 p.m.

I will never "Get" Japanese cars if the somewhat rare convertible version is LESS valuable.

Ah well, maybe I will chase after the 88 Fiero GT instead.

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/11/21 8:42 p.m.
RichardSIA said:

I will never "Get" Japanese cars if the somewhat rare convertible version is LESS valuable.

That's true of Mustangs, C5/C6 Corvettes, 997/991 Porsches, and M3s too.  Cutting the roof off a performance car hurts the performance.

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/11/21 8:46 p.m.
codrus (Forum Supporter) said:
RichardSIA said:

That's true of Mustangs, C5/C6 Corvettes, 997/991 Porsches, and M3s too.  Cutting the roof off a performance car hurts the performance.

even 240sx's, camaro's, etc.  Unless it was designed as a vert first, it is worth less money. 

johndej
johndej Dork
9/11/21 9:01 p.m.

The verts seem to hold their own on bring a trailer. My brother has an 88 manual vert with like 70k and agreed value policy of like 10k on it.

amg_rx7 (Forum Supporter)
amg_rx7 (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
9/12/21 1:01 p.m.

Clutch is reasonably priced and fairly easy to do. Not much more difficult than working on a Miata. 
verts are rare at this point. $3k should be attainable but depends on your market 

Context: 

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/d/cars-trucks/search/cta?query=rx%2A7&srchType=T

RichardSIA
RichardSIA Dork
9/12/21 1:39 p.m.

So not a lot of margin without making it a show car.
150K miles, looks like I will pass on it.

Just as well since I made a deal on five more Spridgets and working on getting a Bugeye as well.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
WYSenYep8UGdWoXYRqjQgzet6smBJdMU74q5GIVxztqQ1PAYxWxFB4slQZETDWvw