1 2 3
taparsons
taparsons New Reader
11/23/14 12:54 a.m.

This may or may not be the correct forum to post this on but i would like to hear from adults with experience rather than opinions of kids. That being said i have read a lot of other forums and have grown tired of sifting through crap. I am an adult and used to be a tech. I want to be able to rip 13s at the drag strip. The car is a 96 integra ls. Any help would be appreciated.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
11/23/14 1:02 a.m.

ITR pistons, gsr head, CTR cams, CTR valve springs.

taparsons
taparsons New Reader
11/23/14 2:57 a.m.

In reply to Swank Force One:

Have you ran this before? Any reliability issues? How would i go about tuning it? I have other cars but I would like to daily drive this car which means here in NC i need to pass an OBDII inspection.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 SuperDork
11/23/14 6:46 a.m.

Can you tune the obd2 with chrome?

At least the part of nc im in doesn't do a close visual.

Id also think that you should be able to do it cheaper and easier with forced induction. Use a piggyback so the pids in the computer stay happy.

wbjones
wbjones UltimaDork
11/23/14 8:57 a.m.

if I understand Dusterbd13 correctly … and if I understand NC testing correctly ….

some of our counties don't test for emissions, and unlike Cali. I don't think, even the emissions testing counties have any "hey look at this" visual inspections … it's only what the OBDII hookup shows

I live in a emissions testing county and have never had anyone ever look under the hood

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
11/23/14 10:13 a.m.

In reply to taparsons:

I ran something similar in an ek civic. No reliability issues, tuned on Crome.

Ran it on a p28 ecu though. Don't know what your obd2 tuning options are these days.

taparsons
taparsons New Reader
11/23/14 12:56 p.m.

Exactly. I need to know something I can tune on and still pass obd2 or will a jdm ecu and engine such as the F20B or h23a pass.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
11/24/14 9:43 a.m.
taparsons wrote: Exactly. I need to know something I can tune on and still pass obd2 or will a jdm ecu and engine such as the F20B or h23a pass.

I highly doubt it.

The OBD2 --> OBD1 conversion is literally a patch harness though. You could convert back to stock ECU and limp through emissions testing in about... 10 minutes.

chiodos
chiodos New Reader
11/24/14 11:55 a.m.

B20 with vtec head is a stout one, I put one in a 99si with b16 head and ctr cams. But on the other end of the stick I also put a h22 in a eg hatch and that was a riot. If your motor is good a simple turbo setup should do what your looking for

poopshovel
poopshovel MegaDork
11/24/14 3:08 p.m.

OP: How much do you want to spend?

wbjones
wbjones UltimaDork
11/24/14 6:15 p.m.
poopshovel wrote: OP: How much do you want to spend?

that's the other have of the saying …. "speed costs money" … "how fast do you want to go"

taparsons
taparsons New Reader
11/24/14 6:32 p.m.

I'm looking to keep it under 2k. The Aem piggyback looks like it would work well and still pass emissions. I would prefer to be all motor h23a or F20b it just seems like it would be more reliable. I would like to be run down ls1 camaros and hopefully the new 5.0s.

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/24/14 7:07 p.m.

In reply to wbjones:

emission testing is mandatory on all cars 1996 and newer. in 48 NC counties NC Counties that Require Emissions OBD Inspections Inspections, Safety & OBD, are currently required in the following 48 counties, essentially where most big cities are:

Alamance, Brunswick, Buncombe, Burke, Cabarrus, Caldwell, Carteret, Catawba, Chatham Cleveland Craven Cumberland Davidson Durham Edgecombe Forsyth Franklin Gaston Granville Guilford Harnett Haywood Henderson Iredell Johnston Lee Lenoir Lincoln Mecklenburg Moore Nash, New Hanover, Onslow Orange Pitt Randolph Robeson Rockingham Rowan Rutherford Stanly Stokes Surry Wake Wayne Wilkes Wilson Union

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
11/24/14 8:53 p.m.

In reply to taparsons:

You don`t have enough budget.

wbjones
wbjones UltimaDork
11/25/14 6:21 a.m.
MrChaos wrote: In reply to wbjones: emission testing is mandatory on all cars 1996 and newer. in 48 NC counties NC Counties that Require Emissions OBD Inspections Inspections, Safety & OBD, are currently required in the following 48 counties, essentially where most big cities are: Alamance, Brunswick, Buncombe, Burke, Cabarrus, Caldwell, Carteret, Catawba, Chatham Cleveland Craven Cumberland Davidson Durham Edgecombe Forsyth Franklin Gaston Granville Guilford Harnett Haywood Henderson Iredell Johnston Lee Lenoir Lincoln Mecklenburg Moore Nash, New Hanover, Onslow Orange Pitt Randolph Robeson Rockingham Rowan Rutherford Stanly Stokes Surry Wake Wayne Wilkes Wilson Union

that's what I was getting at … less than half the state requires emission testing … was hoping he lived in one that didn't … but Stanly Co. is an emissions county … so as long as he's set on a 96 or newer, he will have to pass the tests

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 SuperDork
11/25/14 6:35 a.m.

How did you pick stanly county? Looking back, I never saw him mention county. I happen to live in stanly county, but didn't see myself mentiin it.

Sorry, just suprised.

wbjones
wbjones UltimaDork
11/25/14 6:56 a.m.

I had thought that he'd mentioned that he lived in Albemarle …. (can't find that post) and it turns out that it's you that live there …

my bad

and your location is re. in your profile … somehow I confused the two of you … so we still don't know where he lives

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 SuperDork
11/25/14 6:59 a.m.

Its ok.

On a completely thread-jacking jaunt: if any of y'all come this way, bbq is on me.

Piggyback should pass nc emissions. 2k budget should be enough to boost a honda, right?

wbjones
wbjones UltimaDork
11/25/14 7:03 a.m.

probably … I've never boosted any of mine .. but there's a tuner shop here that does lots of that stuff, and this county is an emission county … so he should be good to go on both regards

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltraDork
11/25/14 7:58 a.m.

A co worker of mine bought what I thought would be an extremely E36 M3ty turbo kit on ebay, then put down a reliable 230whp on his LS. For like $550.

taparsons
taparsons New Reader
11/25/14 8:27 a.m.

I appreciate all the help. I actually live in Randolph county. Boosting does seem the most viable option. But i also want it to be reliable.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
11/25/14 8:51 a.m.

Anything done right is reliable.

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand UberDork
11/25/14 10:03 a.m.
wbjones wrote: probably … I've never boosted any of mine .. but there's a tuner shop here that does lots of that stuff, and this county is an emission county … so he should be good to go on both regards

Did that work well going through the front wheels? I'm assuming he had an LSD in the front axle.

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/25/14 10:42 a.m.
Dusterbd13 wrote: Its ok. On a completely thread-jacking jaunt: if any of y'all come this way, bbq is on me. Piggyback should pass nc emissions. 2k budget should be enough to boost a honda, right?

My car has been inspected recently and iirc it isn't a load based emission test, they just put the tester in the exhaust at idle and make sure it isn't throwing a check engine light, it take like 10 mins max for emissions and safety.

wbjones
wbjones UltimaDork
11/25/14 11:53 a.m.
taparsons wrote: I appreciate all the help. I actually live in Randolph county. Boosting does seem the most viable option. But i also want it to be reliable.

then I'd keep the boost to reasonable levels … 40" of boost .. maybe not long for this world … keep the levels down and go have fun

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
GCd1IaVW1gY0G46toU8QhVakC9H60tKRN6PUXrWhop4jcPoDAZna80Y9nOn5HvJW