Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
5/27/21 9:46 a.m.

Spring is in the air. Temperatures are up, bluebonnets are blooming, and the latest tire updates are here. 

A new season brings with it a fresh start on events, builds and equipment, with tire makers keen to market their latest offerings. In particular, the wildly popular 200tw segment continues to evolve with new players, new sizes and new tweaks to …

Read the rest of the story

thashane
thashane GRM+ Memberand New Reader
5/27/21 10:38 a.m.

Great comparison, leaning towards the 660s as the next tire from A052s, just for the size options (more tire (width), more better?). I would've purchased 660s, but they wouldn't have arrived in time for the next event, and didn't want to use 340tw Firestone Indy 500's as an excuse.

The internet (and this article) proclaimed that A052s don't do well on camber limited cars, I would agree. We'll see how they do once I get camber plates and B6 struts on.

And to be honest, I had more fun on the Firestones, just because the limit was clearly defined. I had difficulty defining the limit on the A052s, from "could I have gone faster?" To completely over driving them, and imagining the tire shoulder desintigrating.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/27/21 10:45 a.m.

Lots of new options for 200 TW tires. I just bought the same tires I've been using, 225/45-15 Rival 1.5 for my ES Miata. I know they work despite being limited to a six inch wheel width. 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/27/21 12:24 p.m.
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) said:

Lots of new options for 200 TW tires. I just bought the same tires I've been using, 225/45-15 Rival 1.5 for my ES Miata. I know they work despite being limited to a six inch wheel width. 

Lots and lots of options plus more on the way. That's what got us working on our upcoming tire guide. What we tried to do using our data and analysis: Help you pick the right tire for your situation, whether you're doing autocross, track days, time trials, endurance, etc. The A052, for example, delivers on the autocross but isn't the top endurance tire. The RS4 seems to work best in enduro situations. 

In addition to the 200tw field, we also look at true R-comps, 100tw track tires and even the tires found on One Lap--fast tires that aren't quite as extreme as the 200tw models. 

I think this article will help people do some shopping. (We're doing the final proofing of it now.)

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/27/21 1:54 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

This is a good example of how much GRM gives back to us. 

Thanks to the entire team. 

David S. Wallens
5/27/21 2:47 p.m.
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to David S. Wallens :

This is a good example of how much GRM gives back to us. 

Thanks to the entire team. 

Thank you. We have a great team.

Also in the August issue: Valino's new VR08GP track tire vs. Yokohama Advan A052 and Falken Azenis RT660 plus a little guide for Radwood-approved tires--if you're going to rock an '80s car, you need the appropriate tires, right? 

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/27/21 2:53 p.m.

All this content is awesome.  Thanks team!

Andy always delivers excellence in these tests.

malibuguy
malibuguy GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/27/21 3:25 p.m.

Ill still stick with my Federal Pros...I have become one with them

bobbylaw
bobbylaw GRM+ Memberand New Reader
10/11/22 3:17 p.m.

Just switched from Azenis 615K+ to RT660. One difference I noticed is the 660s don't track in the groves in the road during normal street driving like the 615s did which is nice.  Looking forward to trying them in my next autocross in a about a week. I did get Tire Rack to 'heat cycle' them.

David S. Wallens
10/12/22 9:52 a.m.

In reply to bobbylaw :

Yeah, the RT660s are rather civil. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yfoAzjpHaYMKNQABAkvQNd4DkP8wJUFptH8us0Je9vE7O0rbF74tup8XWGVbRVWa