Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
7/17/17 9:25 p.m.

So, i may have found my mazda6. 2004, auto, bad motor. 4cyl. $200 asking price.

In looking at car-part.com, they are asking if it has a riof or glass antenna. Wtf? Can tje engine actually be different?

Also, am i limited to an 04-05 engine for replacement? Assume that this would ve a pure appliance to rack up miles while not sucking what soul i have left. So simple and reliable and efficient are the parameters here. As much as we all love wild swaps, not the end game.

Wgat says the hive?

In short, learn me mazda 2.3

NGTD
NGTD UberDork
7/17/17 9:53 p.m.

Keep in mind that Car-part is only going to show engines that are a direct bolt in replacement, including sensors etc.

That may explain the roof vs. glass antenna question. Some slight difference in the car.

Strizzo
Strizzo UberDork
7/18/17 1:30 a.m.

2.5 swap. not a direct drop in but it's not rocket surgery, and the stock 2.3 Ecu supposedly will run it pretty good till you get it reflashed.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/18/17 6:23 a.m.

You can pull the 2.5L out of the Fusion/Milan if you want. There are a few things you need. This gives a pretty good rundown: http://www.mazda3forums.com/61-powertrain-2004-2009-mazda3/692793-how-mazda-ford-2-5l-swap.html

It's written for the Mazda 3 but the 6 setup is very similar.

The 04-05 2.3L use a different cam timing setup from the 2006+ models. So if you get a 2.3L or 2.5L from a later motor you'll have some additional work to do. It's not horribly hard but you will have to replace the intake cam.

1kris06
1kris06 HalfDork
7/18/17 7:47 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13:

only the 2003 models had the radio antenna integrated into the back window. AFAIK, only the exterior was refreshed for 1.5 gen (06-08). As others stated, the engine from the fusion/milan will work, although I think you need to reuse the top or bottom end from the mazda motor (can't remember which off the top of my head).

I'd check out 6crew, there should be a full thread on engine swaps.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
7/18/17 8:31 a.m.
Strizzo wrote: 2.5 swap. not a direct drop in but it's not rocket surgery, and the stock 2.3 Ecu supposedly will run it pretty good till you get it reflashed.

Can you tell me more about the reflash?

Looking at prices and writeups about the 2.5 swap, it almost seems like a no brainer.

Blaise
Blaise Reader
7/18/17 9:44 a.m.

Just FYI, the failure for these engines is usually oil starvation. I bought one with 'bad fuel pump' which of course meant 'I ran it without oil.'

Worst part is that the engine has NO keyways for the cams or crank. Everything can just spin once disassembled (or say... when you have no oil). I had to make up tools to clock everything correctly to time it. Both cams and the crank.

I wouldn't want to do it again. That's my opinion on the 2.3.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/18/17 10:57 a.m.

You don't need to reflash unless you are looking for max performance. My 2.5L was running just fine on the 2.3L ECU and passed all emissions. If you really want it, there are a few good tuners out there.

I've got the tools to clock the crank and cams. If you need them just holler and I'll toss them in a box for you. I won't be using them for a while.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
7/18/17 11:09 a.m.

Awsome guys. Ill be looking at the car Friday night. If the rest of it is in good shape, I'll be starting a new build thread.

Dmac420
Dmac420
8/26/19 7:37 p.m.

In reply to bmw88rider :

Hey I just finished a 2004 mazda 2.3 to 2.5 and the car is running but at idle it's running awfull and stalls, when driving works awesome. Will the ecu work that out in time? 

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/26/19 8:33 p.m.

FYI - the antenna question is to determine Sedan versus Hatchback, not that it makes a lick of difference to the motor. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VJ6G9M4A6W2Oq2DYaYoAnjL7X0EIsTHCJlc9HTOEntk0So7oAnOEU8vKQaQkTnUG