Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso SuperDork
11/16/21 2:26 p.m.

In my quest for a decent DD, I found a 2008 Merc c300 AWD with 168k for $7k. Priced a little high but it's got new tires and a new inspection. I need something to pickup and drive to work.

Should I run away? I know nothing of German automobiles. Are these GRM friendly? 

glueguy (Forum Supporter)
glueguy (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/16/21 3:31 p.m.

That was around the time that the wiring was awful.  My 2009 SLK, every time I touch something to change a headlamp bulb, more insulation just crumbled off.  Not as big/helpful of a support community as with BMW.

79rex
79rex HalfDork
11/16/21 3:44 p.m.

Im going to vote for the option of run away

Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter)
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
11/16/21 3:48 p.m.

I came here to say what's already been said.  MErc were known for granite like build quality and gravity levels of reliability, but things really went South in the late 90's.  They seem to be getting better now, but I wouldn't touch a 00-15 ish Mercedes with a 99.5' pole.

wae
wae UberDork
11/16/21 3:55 p.m.

I think a cocaine habit would cost less and be better for your stress levels in the long term.

But then, I'm a bit biased....

Sonic
Sonic UberDork
11/16/21 4:16 p.m.

Not all M-B of that era are poorly put together.  The base model C300 is most likely to be.  My 07 CLS63 was excellent and held up really well when I had it, and has continued to be good for the new owner who is a friend.  They are not a Camry and require more maintenance and fixing stuff occasionally, but non AMG specific parts are quite reasonable and the car (and subsequent 2017 E400 I have) have proven to be logical to work on when needed.  

As with most euro cars, you are buying the previous owner as much as the car itself.  

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso SuperDork
11/16/21 4:48 p.m.

Well alrighty then. Thanks everyone! 

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/16/21 5:10 p.m.

Those are good cars. 

I think people should probably educate themselves on different Mercedes if they're going to make recommendations. Especially if they tell people to run because of their experience with one that shares none of the same parts (Wae), I know you've been burned badly, but they didn't mean you gotta beat everyone away from Mercedes lol. Or they tell them to run because they are drawing their opinion from a car from 1999 that gave them hell.

Sometimes an S-class of a certain year can be total E36 M3 but an C-class of the same year be super reliable or vice versa. Those c300's are everywhere and the owners that I know say they aren't too problematic. They're about as equipped as a comparable Lexus or Acura of the same year so not a whole lot going on (simple) . 

Any Mercedes after 2004ish won't give you catastrophic issue unless it's one of those bluTEC or whatever diesels (Wae). Oh and the 2007 5.5 v8's had a design flaw for that year only.  And we all know about the 6.3 headbolts the may or will go bad in certain years. Avoid 2000-2002 v12 cars lol

The one in this post is overpriced though.

wae
wae UberDork
11/16/21 7:22 p.m.

I fully admit that I have slightly elevated scorned girlfriend level biases here!

irish44j (Forum Supporter)
irish44j (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
11/16/21 7:25 p.m.

the owners that I know say they aren't too problematic.

That's rather faint praise, lol.  

I guess it depends on whether you emphasize the word "too" or not :)

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/16/21 7:46 p.m.

In reply to irish44j (Forum Supporter) :

In my opinion every car WILL have problems, even ones yall deem indestructible. 

fornetti14
fornetti14 GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/17/21 6:37 p.m.

I'll chime in for those who stumble upon this post in the future. 

I own a 2012 C300 4-Matic Sport.  I was looking for a nice daily driver Volvo/Audi/Subaru but came across this and fell in love during the test drive.  Mine had 65k on it and was owned by a retired couple.  It was the best example I could find.  Here are my thoughts after a year and 20,000 miles...

You have to be eyes wide open in terms of repair cost.  And cost they do!  I expected a $2,500 repair bill every 6-12 months and so far I have been correct.  Propeller shaft u-joint failed and I was lucky to catch it before it broke completely.  Fixed it myself for $600 but wow it was a tight work space.  Shops were $2,000 but I had youtube so off I went with fixing it.

Second large repair avoided was the electronic steering lock mechanism.  I did it myself for about $350 but was quoted $1,800-2000.  Damn near had to take most of the dash apart to get to it.

I have a few buttons that don't work in my radio center cluster (no screen, just buttons).  Mercedes dealer quoted me $2,000 to replace it with a new unit.  They said they are coded to the vin of the vehicle to prevent theft.

I'd buy mine again.  I love it, wife loves it & my kid is always trying to borrow it.  I love the look of the facelifted '12's.  It's not super fast with the 228 HP V6 but the 7-speed gets it moving just fine.  It will cruise at triple digit speeds with no drama and it has me considering used AMG's.  

I hope to get $6k for my car when it reaches 160,000 miles.  I'll be ready for an AMG upgrade or used Macan GTS by then.

For parts and maintenance items I'd recommend FCP Euro.  They are fantastic.

Jay_W
Jay_W SuperDork
11/17/21 7:56 p.m.

Geez my wife has put near 100k on her 2011 c300 4matic and it has needed, in the 6 or 7 years she's had it, oilchanges, tires, a secondary air pump, a headlight bulb, and a new cabin air blower fan. That's it. It has been the most atomic bomb proof car I've ever had the pleasure of not having to work on. 

But yeah I've heard similar issues with the 2008 or so era...

P3PPY
P3PPY GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/17/21 8:42 p.m.
wae said:

I think a cocaine habit would cost less and be better for your stress levels in the long term.

But then, I'm a bit biased....

...because of how much you LUV cocaine??

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0V78UUR9i9PlHPaY33NN0IriCPxmCZ4H8AQ8ER5tmcNNh9e7qNLQrnryU3FTaejl