1 2
Per Schroeder
Per Schroeder Technical Editor/Advertising Director
9/11/09 5:33 p.m.

mmm. Beer.

zoomx2
zoomx2 Reader
9/11/09 6:09 p.m.

Me thinks you guys already found the beer.......

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
9/11/09 7:22 p.m.
Per Schroeder said: EMod. Would compete against a bugeye sprite with a turbo'd rotary.

Wouldn't it fit slightly better in X Prepared? If the engine fits under the hood, and the body fits in the rules, its in XP!

Per Schroeder
9/11/09 7:59 p.m.

Yea, probably---I thought those were still required to have stockish engines as the basis of the build. But..now that I think about it, you're right. Hmm. Cool!

mw
mw Reader
9/11/09 8:14 p.m.

I was there for my first nationals experience. Tom's Car looks great. I finished 31st out of 33 in a very underprepped CSP miata. I will definately be back next year.

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
9/11/09 8:17 p.m.

XP basically has a rule that allows any engine and transmission of any manufacture (provided it was a production engine) so long as it fits under the hood without modification to the firewall. LSRX7s fit there quite well.

I am thinking one day I may do something off the wall like a fully built LSJ with a T56 in my EP mustang...just to be different.

modernbeat
modernbeat HalfDork
9/11/09 9:04 p.m.

Per, did you break your LeGrand?

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
9/11/09 10:13 p.m.

Final results 9/11: of my fellow SCR drivers, one won ASPL, 2nd in FSPL, 7th and 19th in FSP, then several trophies in A Stock. Way to go, guys and gals!

One day I'll drag my E Mod car up there so Kiesel can whip my butt too.

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/11/09 10:45 p.m.
Per Schroeder wrote: Yea, probably---I thought those were still required to have stockish engines as the basis of the build. But..now that I think about it, you're right. Hmm. Cool!

Thanks for the information. I hope to have such a beast in the near future.

modernbeat
modernbeat HalfDork
9/11/09 11:57 p.m.

XP is a class with super loose allowances. The tub has to be a production tub, but some cutting is allowed, and any strengthening is permitted. The block and head castings have to be sources from an automotive engine, and can't be welded on, but anything else in the engine is fair game. The track can't be any narrower than stock and the wheelbase has to be within some dimension of stock. There's a minimum weight based on drive wheels, engine location, displacement, NA or FI. The suspension, brakes, wheels-tires, controls and electrics are all free. The body has to resemble the original shape, but all the panels except the rockers, pillars and roof can be replaced with alternate material. On convertibles, the windshield frame can be cut off, but they require a rollbar. The firewall and floorboards are semi-sacred and have some restrictions.

The way the rules are written are sort of wonky. XP gets all the regular Prepared allowances listed in the Prepared section, AND all the XP specific allowances in the Appendix for Prepared.

Per Schroeder
9/12/09 5:32 a.m.
modernbeat wrote: Per, did you break your LeGrand?

Mine didn't get back together in time. I'm still waiting on some new uprights (see the project car updates). Joe's car was enough like mine (including the twitchy spool handling) to make it doable.

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
9/12/09 7:01 a.m.

I thought about building the Abomination to XP rules but the 'no firewall cut' thing interfered with my plans for balance. At the time, it didn't occur to me just how expensive a class XP could be to run.

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
9/12/09 8:03 a.m.

oh, it would be expensive, but I think it is about the most fun production car based class there is.

Thinkkker
Thinkkker SuperDork
9/12/09 9:35 p.m.

We are within a hour or two from home. Good trip!

I can't complain with where my car ended up, 7th in ESP. I havent driven on R-compounds in a year, so the day one was a shock!

With the talk of the food and beer earlier, you should bring your own chefs....we do. back of the paddock with the huge BBQ pit, TX crew

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Marketing / Club Coordinator
9/12/09 10:03 p.m.

I made it from Lincoln to Murfreesboro Tenn before deciding sleep is good. I'm still about 8 hours from GRM HQ.

Paddock BBQ you say? Sorry we missed it. Next year we should plan a GRM get-together.

Thinkkker
Thinkkker SuperDork
9/13/09 12:24 p.m.

Oh I do say. The worst part is that I run at the end of the week, and I am sure that I lost some power to weight in the car because I gained some!

Excellent job to all those up there!

InigoMontoya
InigoMontoya Reader
9/13/09 2:03 p.m.

Friend that I got into Autox won XP for the second year in a row, by a good margin I might add. If I did not have school right now I would have been his tirewarmer.

Gonzo_Bmod
Gonzo_Bmod New Reader
9/13/09 2:35 p.m.

Don't let Per's 10th place fool you, there was a whopping 0.752 seconds between his 10th and the 6th place guy! Talk about a competitive class. Also since the car was set up for me and my skinny butt son, Per was running at about 100# over min weight. He done good.

RobL
RobL Reader
9/13/09 11:03 p.m.

I don't know who was running what numbers but I caught one of you two - http://schumachertaxiservice.com/vids/nats09/SANY0083.MP4 (10meg.) Slow motion of the car through the showcase on the west course.

Gonzo_Bmod
Gonzo_Bmod New Reader
9/14/09 8:50 a.m.

In reply to RobL:

Very cool. That's Per. Never seen the car in Slo-mo. Thanks!

Josh
Josh HalfDork
9/14/09 2:19 p.m.

Is that actually CORN growing just beyond the fence on the edge of the site? Did they want to make sure you all knew you really were in Nebraska?

jstein77
jstein77 HalfDork
9/14/09 3:07 p.m.

The B Mod times are just amazing - the top 4 are all faster than the fastest A Mod time. Was weather a factor there?

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
9/14/09 4:01 p.m.
jstein77 wrote: Was weather a factor there?

Yes. AM ran in the rain one day.

Per Schroeder
9/14/09 7:48 p.m.

But the times were still competitive with them when both were dry. Aside from Clemens's simply outstanding times, the rest of the gang was pretty tight and competitive. I can't wait to see what our car (and Joe's) will do with a proper differential. We had the only spool car there.

Here's a video from both courses. We'll be hosting them on our site shortly as well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raf7X_sZmI0

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
k9oGvKC3J6cfCEayPY3kNQGOJhIeK11UdnHHZsElV0yYos7GbodfgEyxnHSQp3Cf