1 2
No Time
No Time SuperDork
1/11/22 12:30 p.m.

The title says it, would I be crazy to consider this as a replacement for my sons SX4 if we throw in the towel on it after investigating the knock it developed? 

Link

I should probably search for something like a Prius, but stumbled across this and had a moment of insanity thinking it might be fun. 

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
1/11/22 12:38 p.m.

Yes, you're nuts.

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
1/11/22 12:40 p.m.

Nuts and about $1500 overpriced. 

No Time
No Time SuperDork
1/11/22 12:52 p.m.

In reply to dculberson :

I didn't realize they dropped that low. 

03Panther
03Panther UltraDork
1/11/22 1:09 p.m.

In reply to dculberson :

I cannot comment about the dependability of a bmw with over 200k on the clock. But $1000? For anything that would pass an inspection, and drive around the block? That was hard to find before the current crazy asking price market! 

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/11/22 1:10 p.m.

Yep, crazy talk.

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/11/22 1:15 p.m.

I didn't think any of these lasted 200k

I'd pay $500 for one, maybe $1000

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
1/11/22 1:17 p.m.

I'd do it. Anything that would have failed on that car has failed already. Two or three times. If it's straight and runs fine, send it. 

The 2005-06 s manual was about the best of that generation, and they're a lot of fun. 

Also I've owned one and I hated it. I want another one. 

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
1/11/22 1:21 p.m.

There are no lower priced running MINIs in my neck of the woods. Running ones , complete with the OEM tail light bucket rust are going for $3500 or more.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/11/22 3:20 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

Yes, you're nuts.

Remember this comment next week.

calteg
calteg Dork
1/11/22 3:27 p.m.

Yes, you are certifiable. 

something something nothing more expensive than a cheap Porsche. Also goes for Mini/BMW/Land Rover/et all

ojannen
ojannen Reader
1/11/22 3:29 p.m.

I am not convinced a 200K mile mini is worse than a 100K mile mini.  At 100K miles, everything has failed once already, some things twice.  What is the difference at 200K miles when they have failed 4 or 5 times?  Is the 3rd clutch that different from the 5th clutch (brings back memories of my mini)?

Watch out for rusty fuel tank accessories and fuel lines that are NLA with no old stock left.  You need to pick replacements off of a junked car.

Aspen
Aspen HalfDork
1/11/22 3:37 p.m.
Antihero (Forum Supporter) said:

There was an old dude in Florida with half a million miles on one.  Mostly highway and no road salt.

hoffmaw1
hoffmaw1 New Reader
1/11/22 4:05 p.m.

I bought one with 200k and it was pretty strong, just had a bunch of maintenance issues. The first is every rubber seal in the engine will leak and most people don't replace them, the front control bushings rot and leak fluid, the coolant reservoirs crack and can leak, and all the power steering hoses are probably leaking. The other issue is the supercharger will probably have to be serviced. It isn't hard to do and Mod Mini has videos on how to do most things. These cars are pretty durable, they just have a lot of little things go wrong that people neglect to replace. If the engine is good then $2500 isn't too bad of a price (especially if it doesn't have the tailight rot), but a car like this would have been cheaper pre-pandemic.

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
1/11/22 4:12 p.m.
03Panther said:

In reply to dculberson :

I cannot comment about the dependability of a bmw with over 200k on the clock. But $1000? For anything that would pass an inspection, and drive around the block? That was hard to find before the current crazy asking price market! 

I meant, at the current mileage and anticipating the costs involved in keeping it operational. Sorry I was not more specific. A 200k mile mini is fully depreciated and will break so much. So, so much. "Everything that would fail has already failed," except all the other stuff that hasnt' failed yet but will soon.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/11/22 4:22 p.m.

I've known a few with over 200K miles.  One is even a Cooper model with the original CVT.  Another was a heavily modded S that commuted to NYC on the LIE daily by an owner who tracked the car regularly.  My ex's '03 (bought new) has over 130K, but has been retired from DD duty, so it doesn't see a lot miles these days. 

I agree $2500 seems like a strong asking price, but these days I wouldn't be surprised if they get it.  If I had the room/time, I'd be tempted since it looks like a no-sunroof car and might be a good rallycross candidate. For better or worse, I do not...  It does have a strange combination of options - like heated seats, but no MFSW (no cruise control).

pinchvalve (Forum Supporter)
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/11/22 4:26 p.m.

I knew a guy with a stable of Minis, all of them autocrossed, and some had well over 150K miles. Still looked and ran like new. YMMV

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/11/22 4:43 p.m.
Aspen said:
Antihero (Forum Supporter) said:

There was an old dude in Florida with half a million miles on one.  Mostly highway and no road salt.

I'm surprised by a half million miles

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
1/11/22 5:13 p.m.

Can you light it on fire and walk away 5-10K miles from now. If not then not a chance. 

No Time
No Time SuperDork
1/11/22 5:25 p.m.

In reply to wearymicrobe :

Good point. While it wouldn't be a financial catastrophe, I wouldn't be happy about it.

I'm deeper into the SX4 at this point, but did get 18 months and probably 25k miles:

$2500 purchase, $500 accident repair, $500 tires, $300 transmission, $300 clutch/flywheel, plus other maintenance and repairs. 

slefain
slefain PowerDork
1/11/22 5:45 p.m.

Go smack your toes with a ball peen hammer, it will be cheaper and get the self harm itch out of your system. I'm currently fixing up a 250k E46 but only because the entry price was free. No way I'd drop $2,500 on a grenade with the pin pulled that far out on a Mini.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/11/22 5:50 p.m.
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) said:

I knew a guy with a stable of Minis, all of them autocrossed, and some had well over 150K miles. Still looked and ran like new. YMMV

Apparently so.

No Time
No Time SuperDork
1/11/22 6:09 p.m.

Wow! I appreciate everyone's honesty.

I know it's a bad idea when there is no enabling from this group.

Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter)
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/11/22 6:52 p.m.

Looks like a bargain to me in the current climate.  My best mans daughter (also close friends with my youngest) has an 03 (I think) R50 that has been dead reliable for the last couple of years with well over 100k miles on it. Even on it's original glass 5 speed transmission.  Biggest issue is it spit out a spark plug needing a helicoil (with the head still on).  I think once a car gets to this age and mileage most of the 'known' issues either aren't going to happen to that car and/or have been taken care off.  As other have said, if this was in MI it would have been a fair price 18 months ago before the crazy prices.  IF anything this is cheap enough to be suspicious based on the low price.

03Panther
03Panther UltraDork
1/11/22 7:06 p.m.

In reply to Antihero (Forum Supporter) :

Where are y'all finding these $500 cars that are drivable as is? I don't  even see $1000 asking prices, for anything but major projects. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Y9h9QZ2ANnnkZqvvCf1sPwGTBs1fOIqpb2lmT9M1r5fVZ2VT5Ik4yuPfixJwwjv6