1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 23
Spinout007
Spinout007 GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/15/10 4:22 p.m.
SVreX wrote:
Per Schroeder wrote: Paul once again 'gets it'.
Too bad the one thing I can't "get" is a project entry finished.

I've got to agree with you there Paul. Though I'm sure the schwin would take top honors somewhere!

I spent a few days reading the build thread for the Vorshlag car, I haven't seen anything yet, they've just started and completed more than most on their build. I personally can't wait to see how they do at the UTTC against the big dollar machines with their "crapcan". And as for who's a shoe in for 1st....well I'm not putting money on anyone yet. Gutty was simply amazing last year, I want to see where that crew goes from there, and I'm still waiting to see Andy put something together turns on a dime, and goes like stink at the drags. I won't put him out of the running for top honors ever, the guy is too good at making things go fast in a straight line.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
7/15/10 9:49 p.m.

Andy is always on top in my book.

He will also always have the issue that he understands that great straight line shooters (which he is VERY good at building) need to be LOONG.

Stuff that turns on a dime has shorter wheelbases. It's a foundational contradiction.

But I still want to see him win!

Honestly, if I was guessing at a top honors car (which everyone knows is incredibly foolish), I wouldn't choose either of them as a shoe-in. There are at least 4 other teams I know of with a very good shot at it.

bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/21/10 8:30 p.m.

In reply to SVreX:

if the Wartburg isn't on the list, it should be. It's quite the package

CLynn85
CLynn85 Reader
7/22/10 7:24 p.m.

Alright, time to poll the masses:

We acquired this explorer for scrap, and I plan to use it as a donor for our entry. Can I estimate it's value at current scrap prices for budgeting? I have a signed letter from the company we acquired it from stating it was to be removed for scrap, and it has no title.

The local scrap yard is paying $250 for complete rolling vehicles, is this fair?

Here's a photo of the victim for reference (trust me, the photo makes it look WAAAAY better than it is IRL):

unevolved
unevolved HalfDork
7/22/10 10:13 p.m.

That's how I interpreted the rules. We're doing something very similar.

Pat
Pat Reader
7/23/10 8:24 a.m.
CLynn85 wrote: Alright, time to poll the masses: We acquired this explorer for scrap, and I plan to use it as a donor for our entry. Can I estimate it's value at current scrap prices for budgeting? I have a signed letter from the company we acquired it from stating it was to be removed for scrap, and it has no title. The local scrap yard is paying $250 for complete rolling vehicles, is this fair? Here's a photo of the victim for reference (trust me, the photo makes it look WAAAAY better than it is IRL):

You said you aquired it. How much did you aquire it for?

CLynn85
CLynn85 Reader
7/23/10 9:23 a.m.
Pat wrote:
CLynn85 wrote: Alright, time to poll the masses: We acquired this explorer for scrap, and I plan to use it as a donor for our entry. Can I estimate it's value at current scrap prices for budgeting? I have a signed letter from the company we acquired it from stating it was to be removed for scrap, and it has no title. The local scrap yard is paying $250 for complete rolling vehicles, is this fair? Here's a photo of the victim for reference (trust me, the photo makes it look WAAAAY better than it is IRL):
You said you aquired it. How much did you aquire it for?

$0. We hauled it for free, so per rule 5 I'm trying to assign a fair market value to a junk pos exploder :)

unevolved
unevolved HalfDork
7/23/10 1:04 p.m.

Considering I wouldn't pay more than $100 for an Exploder like that, I'd say that's a good starting point.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
7/23/10 1:45 p.m.

If you're just using metal off of it, weigh it now. Take what you need. Scrap it. Collect money. Use basic math to determine what the value of the metal you actually used was.

weight of metal used/weight of car = x/$$$$ given for remainder of car.

That may be taking things a bit too far, but hey. You know. Just sayin'.

CLynn85
CLynn85 Reader
7/23/10 9:10 p.m.

We're using the 4.0 lump/harness. I've already started selling parts off so I'm pretty certain it will be zero'd out anyway, just wanted to get a consensus on a fair number for our balance sheet

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
7/24/10 1:03 p.m.

You didn't aquire it for $0. You aquired it for $0 PLUS the cost of hauling. Figure the fuel you burned, and call it a day (your time is not counted).

FMV is a method for assigning a value to stuff you already own which is unrelated to the project. You HAD a cost associated with buying this- it was the transport cost.

unevolved
unevolved HalfDork
7/24/10 7:00 p.m.

Unless it was a "friend deal," right?

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
7/24/10 7:23 p.m.

Right.

Then FMV + transport.

unevolved
unevolved HalfDork
7/26/10 10:14 p.m.

unevolved
unevolved HalfDork
8/2/10 12:29 p.m.

We've got some rampant canoe-ing in this thread.

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Webmaster
8/2/10 1:51 p.m.

No, just one active canoe.

Actually, none now.

unevolved
unevolved HalfDork
8/2/10 5:51 p.m.

Thuper.

MrBenjamonkey
MrBenjamonkey Reader
8/7/10 10:53 a.m.

I'm super excited to see you guys' stuff when its done. Unevolved, do you guys have a build page?

unevolved
unevolved HalfDork
8/7/10 11:19 a.m.

Yessir, saeintl.tamu.edu/grassroots/miata

psychic_mechanic
psychic_mechanic Dork
8/7/10 4:52 p.m.
CLynn85 wrote:

I just saw a clean and running '96 Eddie Bauer 4x4 go for $300 at auction last weekend because the A/C wasn't working, so I would say yours is wirth much less than that.

BlacktalonAWD
BlacktalonAWD New Reader
8/7/10 10:04 p.m.

I have a question, I am very new to this, so I apoligize if this has already been answered.

I bought a car a few months ago for $1000, it has some nice pieces on it, since then I found another car that had alot more done to it that i decided to buy instead for $2000 since it already had alot of the things done to it that i was going to do to the first car.

I decided to part the first car out, and have arranged to sell the engine/trans for more than i paid for the whole car. Since i basically would have no money in the first car, can i use left over parts from that one to add to the second car i bought?

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
8/8/10 10:16 a.m.

Yes you can.

However, the bookkeeping might not work in your favor.

The way the bookkeeping would read:

Purchase price: $2000

Parts car: $1000

REcoup: Parts sold off parts car (maximum allowed): (-1005)

Total spent: $1995

Balance in budget: $15

If the car is ready to roll as is with the parts you are scavenging off the parts car, then you are good to go. But if not, you've run out of operating budget.

BlacktalonAWD
BlacktalonAWD New Reader
8/8/10 10:47 a.m.
SVreX wrote: Yes you can. However, the bookkeeping might not work in your favor. The way the bookkeeping would read: Purchase price: $2000 Parts car: $1000 REcoup: Parts sold off parts car (maximum allowed): (-1005) Total spent: $1995 Balance in budget: $15 If the car is ready to roll as is with the parts you are scavenging off the parts car, then you are good to go. But if not, you've run out of operating budget.

OK, i might be able to work with that, next if i just hold off on selling other parts from the parts car, just keep it at what i have sold right now ($1000) i would not have recouped all the money ($1005) and could use some of the parts from the parts car to trade for what i need?

also do i have to include fuel and entry fees into the budget or is that not counted

Pat
Pat Reader
8/8/10 9:23 p.m.
SVreX wrote: Yes you can. However, the bookkeeping might not work in your favor. The way the bookkeeping would read: Purchase price: $2000 Parts car: $1000 REcoup: Parts sold off parts car (maximum allowed): (-1005) Total spent: $1995 Balance in budget: $15 If the car is ready to roll as is with the parts you are scavenging off the parts car, then you are good to go. But if not, you've run out of operating budget.

I'm pretty sure you can only recoup up to the cost of the purchase. Therefore, if you paid $1000 for the parts car, the cap of what you can recoup off of it is $1000.

camaroz1985
camaroz1985 New Reader
8/9/10 8:31 a.m.

But if you still want to trade parts then just don't count some of your recoup money. Example: Sold 23 parts for a total of $1000. Only count the 22 that were sold for a total of $995.

1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 23
Our Preferred Partners
pCMVnuV1BrkWegrnkwZRDUBnIdaRhxcnyOdGXJxfSea2S8j5enHnIFPGBEyBpqqS