1 2
dollraves
dollraves New Reader
9/26/10 9:15 a.m.

The $2010 Mazda 323 GTX is on the road! Since I'm leaving a week later than I'd hoped, I'm skipping the family tour and going I-5S to I-10E to Florida. Once I get to Texas, I'll be caravaning with Jonny Pruitt and his Yugo.

Keep your fingers crossed for me, guys. :D

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/26/10 9:37 a.m.

outstanding! congratulations and good luck! Jonny is like Allstate.

unevolved
unevolved HalfDork
9/26/10 12:08 p.m.

Wait, there's a caravan leaving from TX? Which way are y'all going?

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/26/10 12:35 p.m.
unevolved wrote: Wait, there's a caravan leaving from TX? Which way are y'all going?

can i be the first to say "East."

dollraves
dollraves New Reader
9/26/10 5:22 p.m.

HA! Thanks, AC. Yes, east. I-10E, specifically. :D

waves to folks as she picks up I10 in Los Angeles

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/26/10 5:27 p.m.

Drive safe and good luck.

unevolved
unevolved HalfDork
9/26/10 11:36 p.m.

There will be breakfast burritos at my place at 7AM Wednesday morning if y'all can make it. Just sayin'.

dollraves
dollraves New Reader
9/27/10 8:39 a.m.

Trying! I'm still 20 hours from you or Jonny at this point. Made it to Phoenix last night.

Going to drive a few hours, work during the worst heat, then drive some more. Having no AC in 90-105F temps suuuuuucks.

Pat
Pat Reader

Good luck! See you there!

Derick Freese
Derick Freese HalfDork

It's called a convoy. And you have to listen to the song on repeat the whole trip. The one that cracks first buys the beer.

dollraves
dollraves New Reader
9/27/10 12:21 p.m.

I'll never crack. My mom loved "It's a Small World" when I was a kid and we got stuck in the ride for 3 hours. I am forever immune to earworms now. :D

Currently taking a break to work from a Starbucks in Tuscon, AZ...

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte Reader
9/27/10 12:56 p.m.

Keep the hammer down Rubberduck, Sounds like your making good progress. Check in often with the savory road trip details.

fastclown
fastclown Reader
9/27/10 1:11 p.m.

You're nuts, in a good way! Be careful.....

m4ff3w
m4ff3w GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/27/10 1:36 p.m.

Is Jonny running in the Challenge this year?

dollraves
dollraves New Reader
9/27/10 1:37 p.m.

In reply to m4ff3w:

My understanding is yes...

dollraves
dollraves New Reader
9/27/10 1:54 p.m.
fastclown wrote: You're nuts, in a good way! Be careful.....

This shouldn't be news... :P

Being as careful as possible. I've done the coast-to-coast trek three times in the last few years. It's a lot easier in a car that has air conditioning, though! The biggest problem is staying hydrated vs. staying caffeinated. :D

InigoMontoya
InigoMontoya Reader
9/27/10 3:03 p.m.

Get thee to Tucson, should be about 10-15 degrees cooler, glad to know you are still on the road!

oldtin
oldtin HalfDork
9/27/10 3:10 p.m.

Keep the updates coming. I'm rooting for your longest drive win. Road trip pics are good too...

dollraves
dollraves New Reader
9/27/10 3:35 p.m.

http://www.fatcat.com/323/car_duckies.MOV

Lookee...I made a movie for y'all!

Haven't had a chance to process it, so it's bigger than I'd like. Still...enjoy!

GVX19
GVX19 New Reader
9/27/10 8:36 p.m.

In reply to m4ff3w:

Yes im on my way! Got a trans installed Friday! Now to see if they will let me run it.

Its not as EZ to find a Yugo trans as it sounds It took months to find 1. In of all places,Longview TX. Now i found 1 in killeen. life is funny some times.

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte Reader
9/27/10 8:59 p.m.
dollraves wrote: http://www.fatcat.com/323/car_duckies.MOV Lookee...I made a movie for y'all! Haven't had a chance to process it, so it's bigger than I'd like. Still...enjoy!

I didn't here "Convoy" playing in the background.

m4ff3w
m4ff3w GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/27/10 9:13 p.m.
GVX19 wrote: In reply to m4ff3w: Yes im on my way! Got a trans installed Friday! Now to see if they will let me run it. Its not as EZ to find a Yugo trans as it sounds It took months to find 1. In of all places,Longview TX. Now i found 1 in killeen. life is funny some times.

I'm very glad to hear.

dollraves
dollraves New Reader
9/28/10 12:12 a.m.
TRoglodyte wrote: I didn't here "Convoy" playing in the background.

No radio installed - unnecessary weight. :D I promise I made a Pandora playlist using Convoy as the seed!

Bedding down in Van Horn, TX, tonight. There's just so damn much Texas out there...

egnorant
egnorant Dork
9/28/10 12:24 a.m.
GVX19 wrote: In reply to m4ff3w: Yes im on my way! Got a trans installed Friday! Now to see if they will let me run it. Its not as EZ to find a Yugo trans as it sounds It took months to find 1. In of all places,Longview TX. Now i found 1 in killeen. life is funny some times.

Didn't know you were looking! I have one in Hallsville! I think he would make you take the whole car though...sorry.

Bruce

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
9/28/10 6:51 a.m.

Heh, i was just in texas a couple days ago.

BOOOORRRRIIINNNGGGGGG to drive through. Good luck!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
a8iFHJClrO06W3F8NZWkZYgqdv8wRXTp0kmzn9kcYdyOrcEsjbLAmrA1HQ3k0ClA