AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/19/21 7:28 a.m.

In reply to wawazat :

I still have my Nike Volleyball hoodie!

9/26/21 3:59 p.m.

Might as well keep this thread going. I'm still a little tired of working on daily drivers, so I paid my buddy Steve to do timing belt, water pump, serp belt, and coolant replacement. One day turnaround, and putting cash in a brother's pocket instead of paying the man.

I did the first belt at 101k with the full Aisin kit. I was surprised to *not* see Aisin on the list at RockAuto, so I ordered ContiTech. Opened the box and the water pump is Aisin. I LOL'd.

202k and ready for another 100.

dj06482 (Forum Supporter)
dj06482 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/26/21 5:33 p.m.

Th Aisin kit has been Out of Stock at Rock Auto for a good chunk of the year, but today was the first time I haven't seen it listed on the site. I try to only order my Aisin kits from RA to avoid the counterfeit ones.

9/26/21 7:57 p.m.

In reply to dj06482 (Forum Supporter) :

Word. Continental is a brand with which I've had good luck, so I went with it. I was surprised to see Aisin contents. Did Continental buy a sector of their business? Or maybe this is just a situation where Conti wanted to round out their catalog without investing in tooling, so they buy and repackage the Aisin kit?

9/26/21 7:59 p.m.

Also, remember that thing you said about the seal? I'll give you one guess who's Ody has a leaky axle seal. Hint: it's me.

9/26/21 8:22 p.m.

Ugh, I was hoping that wasn't going to be the case.  When our original transmission went out, it was replaced under warranty with a used one that had a bad seal. I wasn't crazy about the work of the shop who replaced our transmission, so I just bought a new drive axle (the original had 195k) and replaced the seal. Thankfully that seal was much easier to replace than the spark plug tube seals when I did the valve cover gasket!  

I searched for the Aisin kit on RA under the Aisin part number, and it showed out of stock. You can check the box to have them email you when it's back in stock, but I remember doing that months ago and haven't seen an email from them. I wonder what's causing the supply issue in this case. I have another timing belt job to do on my wife's Pilot in the next year or so, so I'm watching the inventory closely.

Glad to see your kit included the Aisin water pump!  

10/2/21 12:11 p.m.

File this under "damn, Angry is pretty clever": disassembled a hammer store sliding plier for pulling axle seal.

looks old and busted:

but is actually new hotness:

10/3/21 4:24 p.m.

Transaxle is still dry, but there's some wetness inside left front rim. It's brake fluid! WTF?! Looks like it's coming from the banjo fitting, so I shoot with brake cleaner and get a helper to press the pedal While I observe. sure enough, it's leaking between the banjo bolt and the crush washer. Before cleaning:

I have owned this van for seven years and 160,000 miles, and the banjo bolts have not had a wrench on them in that time. So I put a wrench on it, and it took 1/4-turn to achieve torque. Tested with engine on and full Leg Day applies, no more leak. After:

WTF? I've never seen a leak develop at a crush washer after its been leak-free in service.

11/16/21 9:02 p.m.

flat4_5spd
flat4_5spd New Reader
11/16/21 9:31 p.m.

Winter tires- I'm a believer in them almost to the extent of hanging out in the airport and evangelizing to strangers. "Would you like to learn about something that can change your life? Have you heard the good word about specialized winter tires?" 

Not to Subaru-jack the thread, but how is your kid's Forester doing? No build thread updates= good news?

11/16/21 9:40 p.m.

In reply to flat4_5spd :

AK1 is away at school and the Forester is away with her. I ordered $600 in parts for her today, gonna R&R front struts plus the LF hub and bearing, LF knuckle, and LF LCA over Thanksgiving break.

also, you'd be preaching to the choir here:

• WS90 going on the Ody this week;
  • Forester is already wearing WS80;
  • E92 is sporting the Dunlop WinterSport4;
  • Saab is shod with Sumitomo Ice Edge.
11/20/21 6:39 p.m.

I got home from the plant at 9:30 last night, went out for breakfast with the family this morning, then got busy winterizing the van. Broke down the old Blizzaks, mounted and balanced the new ones. Then back home, and it's off with the summers:

and on with the new winters. Gotta say I'm a little disappointed with Tire Rack this time. Here we are in about the 47th week of 2021, and they shipped me tires dated 1019. IE they're over two and a half years old. Weak.

Still had energy and a little bit of daylight after tire installation, so she got fresh oil and filter and a 3 quart ATF drain and fill. I do this with every oil change, so the ATF (on average) never has more than 30k miles on it.

Quick trip around the block and the TPMS light went away. Summers don't have sensors, because I'm cheap. She's ready for the next few months, 205k and counting.

3/20/22 7:30 p.m.

Oil change monitor said 10% so I used that as an excuse to spend a good chunk of the day on van stuff. A couple years ago I realized there was no front crash beam, no doubt from a low-budget repair on a front hit at some point in the first 4 years / 48k miles before we bought it.

A few months ago I got a JY beam, plus a new RF fender liner and under tray, so today all that went on.

she also got oil and filter, 3 qt ATF drain and fill, and the Blizzaks came off for the summer.

I'm exhausted. Probably not doing anything on MonZora tonight.

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
3/20/22 7:59 p.m.

I was doing front anti-sway bar links on my wife's '10 Odyssey today.  I didn't swap out the summers yet.  Just finished making and overseeing dinner clean up.  Now back under the Cougar for a bit.  

3/20/22 8:05 p.m.

Smart man on the frequent ATF changes, on our '05 Odyssey I did the 3X drain and fill every 30k with the Honda ATF and the transmission went out at 164k.  The 2010s have the far better transmission! 

On our '17, I did a 3x drain and fill when we got it, but I'm now trying the Valvoline MaxLife ATF (semi-synthetic) instead of the Honda ATF.  Just finished up the 3x drain/fill with the MaxLife (with some driving in-between), I was going to go to an ATF drain/fill every other oil change.  I typically ignore the maintenance minder and just change the oil every 5k. 

Interestingly enough, I've spent a bunch of time monitoring ATF temps via TorquePro and they get the highest during an extended idle.  I installed an aftermarket ATF cooler in-line with the factory cooler in the radiator and the ATF temps stayed in the 160-170F range, even driving down to FL in 95+ degree heat with all six of us, a Yakima Skybox, and all of our stuff.

I just replaced our front undertray a few months ago, our original one was trashed!  The Lisle 35260 is awesome at removing those clips!

Front end is creaking, so I spent a little diagnostic time today. Didn't take long to isolate it to RF LBJ.

berkeley you Mevotech. I bought this LCA from RockAuto in July of 2021. Less than a year, and about 16k miles.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
6/5/22 7:23 p.m.

If there is one sure sign of junk parts, it's those blue boots.  Any manufacturer, the blue boots suck.

One other sure way of buying garbage is to get it in a box that has Mevotech written on it.

So I did what I should have done when the part was new. No, not "buy a better brand." I drilled and tapped and installed a Zerk and gave it a shot of grease. It's quiet now.

Old and busted (LH for reference):

New hotness:

I'll add Zerk to LH later, or maybe later tonight. At least that boot isn't totally horse-berkeleyed yet.

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

berkeleyin' A. I won't do it again.

8/29/22 4:00 p.m.

More miles, more maintenance:

That was one dirty-ass engine air filter.

11/12/22 3:13 p.m.

Today was Ody maintenance day. AK2 got in on the action, and we did oil and filter change, plus a new cabin air filter and installed winter tires.

Ball joints haven't healed themselves, so I'm ordering Moog control arms and I'll swap them Thanksgiving week.

223k and climbing.

11/12/22 7:28 p.m.

Curious to hear how the Moogs work out. From OdyClub, the current advice is "OEM Honda or don't bother", but the front LCAs for the '11-'17 are an eye-watering $567 each (plus shipping) from my favorite online Honda dealer.

11/12/22 11:36 p.m.

OEM LCA for mine is slightly cheaper:

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/12/22 11:42 p.m.

Majestic has them for much less. Still pricey but 30% less. 

Also notice the last two digita on the part number are switched, either Conicelli or Majestic has it off, but the part is correct. 

1 2 3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6f6dr0pSWVtMTctZTREXXFFj96d9BEC6MPJiAECzEiS1aPfGh2p24u2S6hzP27xZ