1 ... 10 11 12
tuna55
tuna55 Dork
4/11/11 8:02 p.m.
JThw8 wrote:
skeze wrote: OEM to the car you are building....that's what i'm talking about. the car i'm attempting to make is a car that has already been made but i'm trying to do it and stay within budget...possible YES!!!
You may be reading too much into that. You are allowed to replace the OEM components with new OEM components on the brake system without a penalty, so new rotors with new stock rotors, new calipers with new stock calipers, of the same type that were on the vehicle, not some magic setup that was offered OEM on a higher performance version. The reason for the rule is to ensure brake parts are in good order and not overlooked creating a safety issue in the name of budget, it is not something to exploit for a performance gain. There are some odd exceptions which we had to explore with our car since our entire suspension was from a different car so we used the OEM from the donor, not the original car but our car was a rather odd exception. Any grey area stuff should definitely be run past the staff before you commit budget.

I know this is old, but it's a really good point. In other series, like NHRA Super Stock, you can swap out a 307 powerglide combo and swap in a 396 4 speed combo and be legal. The challenge is intended to replicate what you can actually buy. Just because an JDM Acura Y-type type R edition 3, which Honda built 2 of came with 18" calipers stock doesn't mean you can air ship them here for a cost of $2,432 and claim them under OEM replacement parts.

unevolved
unevolved Dork
4/11/11 9:27 p.m.

Our Nismospeed Miata is entering chapter two of its life.

In hindsight, it was foolish to think we could have ever gotten that car to the 2010 Challenge in the first place. We had nothing but hand tools, no shop to work in, no trailer, and about half the money we needed.

We're in a new building with more funding and better tools this year. This car is going to be at the $2011 Challenge.

Corbin just reassembled our motor with fresh rings (bearings aren't OEM spec, exactly, but they're definitely GRM spec) and I just spent an hour poring over FSM wiring diagrams to wire this monstrosity more or less from scratch. Hopefully this week I'll be able to update our build log with some more current pictures.

speedbiu
speedbiu New Reader
4/13/11 6:36 a.m.

In reply to unevolved:

Glad to here your making progress.Were installing our roll bar this week and hope to have the engine back together the following week.No where close to wiring at this point.

tb
tb GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/13/11 11:11 a.m.

I really wish that I was working on something for the challenge this year, but I am just too busy with other projects to do another solo entry.

If anyone near Boston wants to form a team, I have both the garage space and the desire to build something ridiculous inside it...

Pat
Pat Reader
4/13/11 11:34 a.m.

I'll probably be there, but even if so, likely not with anything all that spectacular.

Time is tight this year and I have a ton of other crap that has been put on hold since the Challenge got it's hooks into me.

May be time to take a year off.

oldtin
oldtin Dork
4/13/11 12:08 p.m.

In reply to speedbiu: my 2009 car might make its debut in 2011

ronholm
ronholm New Reader
4/13/11 12:20 p.m.
Pat wrote: I'll probably be there, but even if so, likely not with anything all that spectacular. Time is tight this year and I have a ton of other crap that has been put on hold since the Challenge got it's hooks into me. May be time to take a year off.

I don't think so....

don't make me quote you from earlier in this thread....

turboHLS30
turboHLS30 New Reader
4/13/11 12:38 p.m.

I'm going to be entering the Challenge solo with my Z. I think I'll be the youngest person to ever enter.

Raze
Raze Dork
4/13/11 12:46 p.m.

I'm bringing:

First shakedown to the GT Autoshow netted following repairs:

Need a proper exhaust clamp, not just a U-clamp, cheap, easy.

Needed to tighten and rebleed brake system, $3 bottle of fluid later and screw driver, and an hour doing it myself, done.

Needed to clean ignition cap and points, run new ignition wire, $0.50 and 30 minutes later, done.

Needed to tighten one coolant hose and add a smattering more water, 5 minutes, done.

Need new blinker relay, it's toast, $5 part, just have to get one.

Now I need to spend from now until the event driving it, tuning it, and making sure nothing blows up!

eastsidemav
eastsidemav Reader
4/13/11 7:39 p.m.

Just got the fireturd running for the first time in a year and a half. Its got its cop motor (88 Caprice police package) in it now, and that seems okay, however, either I can't rebuild a carb or tune a carb (or both). We couldn't get it to settle into an idle below 1500 RPM, and even then it was a bit rough. We've got another carb that is good, but its a little small, and it'd blow the budget. Will probably put it on just to make sure the engine is alright.

Had an oil leak from a valve cover that smoked us out of the garage.

Heated the thing up enough with multiple runs that the coolant overflowed. We attempted to resolve this by using a paperclip to jump the electric cooling fan.

And the alternator either isn't charging, or isn't keeping up since we're just idling the dang thing, because the battery went dead. So, it goes on the charger for a while.

But it finally ran.

Derick Freese
Derick Freese Dork
4/13/11 9:51 p.m.

I don't think I'm going to have the funds to run a car this year. Sucks, because I already have the car.

Mental
Mental SuperDork
4/14/11 8:00 a.m.
Derick Freese wrote: I don't think I'm going to have the funds to run a car this year. Sucks, because I already have the car.

Get some buddies and split the gas/hotel costs. The GRM folks feed you in some form or another mist nights, the hotel has a complimentary breakfast in the morning, there is a gas station with cheap beerjust up the street.

Promise them the best gearhead weekend of their lives. By Sunday morning you will have delivered and the drive home will be filled with talk of what you are all gonna build for next year.

Trust me, even if you just spectate, the Challenge is a festival of speed and fun that cannot be duplicated at any other budget. It's about the peaple, you need to go.

Pat
Pat Reader
4/14/11 8:26 a.m.
ronholm wrote:
Pat wrote: I'll probably be there, but even if so, likely not with anything all that spectacular. Time is tight this year and I have a ton of other crap that has been put on hold since the Challenge got it's hooks into me. May be time to take a year off.
I don't think so.... don't make me quote you from earlier in this thread....

I'll be there, I just think I'm going to take a year off from going berzerk trying to build a car.

speedbiu
speedbiu New Reader
4/14/11 8:19 p.m.

In reply to Derick Freese:Are you the one with the Honda and Mazdas??

imd240zman
imd240zman New Reader
7/21/11 7:52 a.m.

Well,... this looks like a competitive year already. I'll be taking my 1970 Opel GT.

spin_out
spin_out Reader
7/24/11 6:54 p.m.

The Hello Kitty TR7 got paint today. :)

speedbiu
speedbiu New Reader
7/31/11 5:06 p.m.

Well I tried to load some pics of mine up here and cant get them to.I have the project on facebook if any of you are interested.Its running and driving and should make the challenge this year.

speedbiu
speedbiu New Reader
7/31/11 5:24 p.m.

OK lets try this heres the pic of it when I bought it and here it is now if you want to see the complete build just friend me on facebook.2011 challenge vettePhotobucketPhotobucket

turboHLS30
turboHLS30 Reader
7/31/11 5:53 p.m.

Wow! That is really cool!

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
8/1/11 8:06 a.m.

Im Kinda digging the Firebird-esque nose treatment. Looks great!

miatame
miatame HalfDork
8/1/11 9:50 a.m.

Wow that's a great looking Challenge car. If it goes as good as it looks you should be in the top half of the pack.

Mgriz
Mgriz New Reader
8/8/11 8:28 p.m.
skeze wrote: also i read somewhere in a build thread for a grm challenge car that oem brakes and safety items do not count against your budget...

Maybe this is clarified somewhere but I'm not finding the answer... I see the above statement in the rules but how is that interpreted?. I'm assuming I can replace an OEM brake part with generic stock type replacement brake part without accounting for it in the budget. i.e. Does it have to be OEM or can I order stock replacement parts from rock auto? Thanks!

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
8/8/11 11:13 p.m.

It means similar to OEM. Performance brake pads or other components must be included in the budget.

The idea is that there should be no excuse to bring a car without working brakes similar to the ones it came with, as long as there is no performance advantage.

1 ... 10 11 12

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MkQWNTs9zoaBblAQ8LSCvAUx8QaBCAWjuexucjFwLGJKLkU1BWVNhoi38kJiRquy