nderwater
nderwater PowerDork
12/13/10 2:04 p.m.
feature_image

It's more expensive than the WRX you guys tested earlier this year - how do you feel the two stack up? From an enthusiast's perspective, the 'as tested' price for this Lancer just doesn't make sense - the same money will get you an Audi A4, Nissan 350Z or Mustang GT. Yeah.

Read the rest of the story

Robert Bowen
Robert Bowen
12/13/10 3:02 p.m.

I really like these cars, and I have spent a lot of time between the wheel of all versions. Yeah it's pricey but street prices are a good $3000 less than the sticker. And mostly you are buying that transmission - there are not many cars in that price range with an automated-manual like the Ralliart's.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
12/13/10 11:35 p.m.

Yeah, Robert raises two good points--and you are paying for that transmission. I know that we all like to roll our own, but the twin-cluch transmissions are very cool.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/15/10 3:18 p.m.

When will we see three and four clutch transmissions? How about a clutch for every gear? Just kidding. I don't see the Ralliart as much of an alternative as the WRX is to the STi.

dsycks
dsycks Reader
1/5/11 5:43 a.m.

I think Mitsu needs to understand that most of America has no idea what they are paying for (as far as the twin clutch goes) and others of us who do, don't care. They try to make the Ralliart a cost effective option to the Evo and in turn take on the WRX at a strong price point but go and add extras that harm their ability to meet the bottom line.

Strip it out, keep it simple and bring back a car in the spirit of the Evo RS and I'll own another one.

wemay
wemay None
4/26/12 5:35 p.m.

Absolutely the best car i have ever owned (including EVO VIII, Cooper S, WRX). The Ralliart strikes the perfect balance for the enthusiast that also uses his car for family outings, outdoorsmanship and working 9-5, dealing with traffic on a daily basis. But on the weekend when the cones are set up, its as aggresive and engaging as anything on the road in its same class. Cudos Mitsubishi! The TC-SST is wornderful.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
12/10/13 12:00 a.m.

Contrary to popular belief, the Lancer lineup contains more than the Evo. It's true. There's also the standard-issue Lancer, and the Ralliart is the hottest version.

The Ralliart package adds a 2.0-liter turbo engine with front-mounted intercooler, all-wheel drive, helical front limited-slip, mechanical rear limited-slip and 18x7.5-inch wheels. Only one gearbox is available, a twin-clutch Sportronic shift transmission. The rest of the car receives a few other sporty touches, including an aluminum hood, Yokohama Advan summer tires and a leather steering wheel.

Why not just get the fire-breathing Evolution? Well, the Ralliart is a bit less expensive: $28,445 base price versus $34,755 for the Evolution GSR and $37,955 for the twin-clutch-equipped Evolution MR. You'd basically be trading some bells, whistles and horsepower for dollars.

Speaking of dollars, our test car also had a $3100 Ralliart Touring Package that added leather seating surfaces, Rockford-Fosgate sound system, HID headlights, heated front seats and a tasteful lip spoiler--a rear wing is standard.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
B2bWt4E0ILIbXuGjG2gVkyVcMzj5lwF2d1bKiIuLCDNX0uwIqISWMxdHAlfAwq0U