1 2
lewbud
lewbud Reader
6/9/10 2:58 p.m.

Are you guys planning an article on the new 5.0? The reason I ask is I'm seeing some numbers out there that don't add up. Unfortunately I'm short of the funding necessary to verify those numbers so I leave it to you guys to do the dirty work.

itsarebuild
itsarebuild GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/9/10 3:14 p.m.

forget the new 5.0. i want to know if the new 305 hp v6 really lives up to that power number AND gets 31 mpg!

TJ
TJ Dork
6/9/10 3:36 p.m.

31 hwy. I think the city number is low 20's and the combined is like 23.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
6/9/10 4:20 p.m.

As soon as we get one you'll know about it. Press fleets in the southeast sometimes move slower than the rest of the country, though.

What were you wondering about?

jg

Appleseed
Appleseed SuperDork
6/9/10 4:54 p.m.

We were wondering if its hype or legit. I never really considered a Ford until now.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet Reader
6/9/10 5:02 p.m.

I wonder if that V6 'Stang is anything like my '09 WRX, in which it gets better gas mileage than the window sticker says. Mine was supposed to be 18 city/22 highway, and I haven't gotten below 23 combined in the past year and a half. That said, I hope GRM gets one of each 'Stang and puts them through their paces.

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
6/9/10 5:43 p.m.

Don't promote another "Mustang Issue". The last one was a debacle in itself!

iceracer
iceracer Dork
6/9/10 5:58 p.m.

Another magazine had a comparison test on both. Yes, they live up to the hype.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/9/10 6:23 p.m.

Every magazine is currently testing both :) Talk about a big leap for Ford, that's some impressive powertrain work.

forzav12
forzav12 Reader
6/9/10 6:33 p.m.

Not hype.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter Dork
6/9/10 6:46 p.m.
maroon92 wrote: Don't promote another "Mustang Issue". The last one was a debacle in itself!

Oh c'mon, I loved that issue. Other than a slight typo about the displacement of the GT500's engine, that is, hahaha.

Of course, I've owned five Mustangs in the past 10 years, 3 of which I still have (one of which actually gets driven), so I'm a little biased.

And it's a tangent, but if you're consistently pulling down better than EPA ratings, you need to stop driving like a sissy

kreb
kreb GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/9/10 6:52 p.m.

What's remarkable to me is how much positive chatter the new mustang is getting, considering that it still features a a live axle. Presumably they got the snap-oversteer issue worked out? To me that was representative of the old "we don't give a E36 M3" Ford. It would have taken so little work to tame the axle, but they couldn't be bothered. I'm pretty high on Ford products in general right now, but that live axle's still an issue in my book - tamed or not.

Josh
Josh Dork
6/9/10 7:50 p.m.
itsarebuild wrote: forget the new 5.0. i want to know if the new 305 hp v6 really lives up to that power number AND gets 31 mpg!

It's really too bad the SCCA decided it belongs in the same autocross class as the V8 Shelby GTs.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 Dork
6/9/10 8:07 p.m.
maroon92 wrote: Don't promote another "Mustang Issue". The last one was a debacle in itself!

don't you dare, my Trans Am was the Internet Hot Rod of the Month in that issue full of Blue Ovals.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
6/9/10 10:26 p.m.
kreb wrote: What's remarkable to me is how much positive chatter the new mustang is getting, considering that it still features a a live axle. Presumably they got the snap-oversteer issue worked out?

They fixed that in '05

ultraclyde
ultraclyde Reader
6/10/10 7:06 a.m.

Yep. the 05-up is widely reviewed by the pros as not really driving like a live axle. My experience with it is very positive, it only comes unsettled over REALLY rough pavement mid-turn and oversteer/ breakaway is very predictable. Of course, I've added bits that make it equvalent to the Shelby GTs, but even stock it was a vast improvement over old designs.

The new engine with the factory-standard trak pak suspension should be a real killer for HDPEs and a really fun handful at autox.

alfadriver
alfadriver Dork
6/10/10 8:19 a.m.

I think the v6 shoud be showing up in showrooms, soon, but I can't remember when it was supposed to be out. Now back in research, I don't hear much of the Job 1 and ok to sell dates.

I think the Fiesta and Mustang will be close to the same time- so you can kill two birds with one stone.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt Dork
6/10/10 8:59 a.m.
kreb wrote: What's remarkable to me is how much positive chatter the new mustang is getting, considering that it still features a a live axle. Presumably they got the snap-oversteer issue worked out? To me that was representative of the old "we don't give a E36 M3" Ford. It would have taken so little work to tame the axle, but they couldn't be bothered. I'm pretty high on Ford products in general right now, but that live axle's still an issue in my book - tamed or not.

The live axle is being left in to please the Mustang's drag racer following. They'd be screaming in protest if the Mustang went with IRS. Ford seriously considered IRS for the Mustang, but when they asked current Mustang owners what they thought about it, they got the same two answers - "Solid axles hook up better," and "What are the tax guys doing to my car?"

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter Dork
6/10/10 9:07 a.m.

I don't get why everyone's so down on the live axle. Sure, the quadrabind sucks, but as was said, the last year that had that was '04, and the "snap oversteer" everyone overyhypes only reared itself in slalom maneuvers; in 2 years of autocrossing/track days my stock-suspended '98 Cobra, I only swapped ends ONCE.

And FYI, the Fiesta has a live axle, too, and everyone seems to rave about it's handling :P

iceracer
iceracer Dork
6/10/10 10:12 a.m.

That not a very good comparioson, since the Fiesta is FWD and doesn't have a lot of power.

itsarebuild
itsarebuild GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/10/10 10:22 a.m.

sad part is that GM's only answer to the perception problems seems to be to make bloated whale of a retro car and themn insist that GM employees dont use the word "chevy". somebody needs to tell them you cant correct your course until you admit you are lost!

96DXCivic
96DXCivic Dork
6/10/10 11:14 a.m.

A live axle can handle as well as an independent suspension. Also Fiesta is a twist beam rear suspension.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter Dork
6/10/10 12:21 p.m.
96DXCivic wrote: A live axle can handle as well as an independent suspension. Also Fiesta is a twist beam rear suspension.

It's still a stick with wheels on either end.

96DXCivic
96DXCivic Dork
6/10/10 2:58 p.m.

In reply to ReverendDexter:

But it functions a little different then a live axle like in the Mustang.

plance1
plance1 HalfDork
6/10/10 4:55 p.m.
kreb wrote: What's remarkable to me is how much positive chatter the new mustang is getting, considering that it still features a a live axle. Presumably they got the snap-oversteer issue worked out? To me that was representative of the old "we don't give a E36 M3" Ford. It would have taken so little work to tame the axle, but they couldn't be bothered. I'm pretty high on Ford products in general right now, but that live axle's still an issue in my book - tamed or not.

What are you talking about? Mustang made a GT mustang with independent suspension about 10 years ago and no one wanted it.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
BVJZo6lKsUGshMAQQFZPCtwzo0LO1r2edVCcVNljLq75TIcnPqrDP7qXO0mDoT9u