1 2
ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter Dork
6/10/10 5:09 p.m.
plance1 wrote: What are you talking about? Mustang made a GT mustang with independent suspension about 10 years ago and no one wanted it.

That was the '99-'04 Cobra. IRS was never offered in a GT.

kreb
kreb GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/10/10 6:39 p.m.
plance1 wrote: What are you talking about? Mustang made a GT mustang with independent suspension about 10 years ago and no one wanted it.

Two things: First, a poorly done IRS has little to recommend it over a solid axle. I don't remember too many specifics, but my recolection is that the Mustang IRS assembly was very heavy, and generally not too well designed. Second, it all depends what market that you're after. The traditional ponycar crowd is fine with a live axle because that's all they 've had, and they hook up well at the drags. Meanwhile your sports car crowd wants something that rides better and doesn't bounce around when the twisties get bumpy. Let's face it, Pony cars are the middle linebackers of the car world. Whereas the finesse players all have IRS. Giving credit where it's due, the top 2011 Mustangs look like they could cover some recievers as well.

CaptainSpaulding
CaptainSpaulding New Reader
6/10/10 7:28 p.m.

The mustang IRS was pirated from the Thunderbird and made to fit the mustang.

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/10/10 8:27 p.m.
CaptainSpaulding wrote: The mustang IRS was pirated from the Thunderbird and made to fit the mustang.

That's not even remotely close to being true...

Strizzo
Strizzo SuperDork
6/10/10 8:27 p.m.
ReverendDexter wrote:

and people broke halfshafts left and right at the drag strip with them, a lot of the more built cars ended up with live axles under them anyways

fastdad
fastdad New Reader
6/11/10 12:35 p.m.

The wife and I went and test drove a 2011 V-6 convertable (w/6-speed auto... its for her commute car). While it did not have the visceral quality of the V-8 Mustang, I have to admit that it wasn't bad. Certainly light years ahead of the old V-6.

Vigo
Vigo HalfDork
6/11/10 12:46 p.m.

I would really like to drive the v6.

CaptainSpaulding
6/11/10 2:09 p.m.
P71 wrote:
CaptainSpaulding wrote: The mustang IRS was pirated from the Thunderbird and made to fit the mustang.

Actually it is. Team mustang took the basic design from the thundebird and then re deisgned it to fit the existing mounting points on the mustang. The even built it in a way that the existing machine used to install the solid axle into the V6 and GT could also install the IRS. They also used the center diff from the Linkoln mk7 with different axle shafts.

Maybe I should phrase that different.They started with a existing design and then engineered it to fit into the mustang.

So no its not the same but is the same.

That is how it was explained to me at WFC6 by some Ford reps. Or was it WFC5. I dont remember.

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/11/10 3:30 p.m.
CaptainSpaulding wrote:
P71 wrote:
Actually it is. Team mustang took the basic design from the thundebird and then re deisgned it to fit the existing mounting points on the mustang. The even built it in a way that the existing machine used to install the solid axle into the V6 and GT could also install the IRS. They also used the center diff from the Linkoln mk7 with different axle shafts. Maybe I should phrase that different.They started with a existing design and then engineered it to fit into the mustang. So no its not the same but is the same. That is how it was explained to me at WFC6 by some Ford reps. Or was it WFC5. I dont remember.

So it has a different differential, different halfshafts, and a different suspension. How is that "lifted from the Thunderbird" then? Now you see my point...

CaptainSpaulding
6/11/10 5:09 p.m.

Sure I see your point. That is why I already replied that I should have phrased that a little different.

However saying that the basic design didnt come from the thunderbird wouldnt exactly be a true statement either.

Anywho typcal Ford parts bin swapping going on. I am okay with that as it basicly with a few mods will bolt into a Ford fairmont and a EFI 5.0/2.3t 5 spd fairmont with a IRS in the back would be seet.

Lets even make it a wagon.

96DXCivic
96DXCivic Dork
6/11/10 6:19 p.m.

In all honesty, I see the newer Mustangs as a bit of a Bob Costas. This generation might change that especially with a V6 model which doesn't seem like a pile of E36 M3. The whole live axle thing doesn't bother me.

plance1
plance1 HalfDork
6/11/10 8:24 p.m.
ReverendDexter wrote:

Irrelevant distinction. The guy made the point that Ford "couldn't be bothered" with making an IRS for the mustang but they did in deed make one as I pointed out. And...

plance1
plance1 HalfDork
6/11/10 8:26 p.m.
Strizzo wrote:
ReverendDexter wrote:
and people broke halfshafts left and right at the drag strip with them, a lot of the more built cars ended up with live axles under them anyways

...this guy goes on to prove my point, the drag racers not the sport car crowd ruled the day because the IRS wasn't ideal for drag racing.

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/12/10 7:41 a.m.
P71 wrote:
CaptainSpaulding wrote:
P71 wrote:
Actually it is. Team mustang took the basic design from the thundebird and then re deisgned it to fit the existing mounting points on the mustang. The even built it in a way that the existing machine used to install the solid axle into the V6 and GT could also install the IRS. They also used the center diff from the Linkoln mk7 with different axle shafts. Maybe I should phrase that different.They started with a existing design and then engineered it to fit into the mustang. So no its not the same but is the same. That is how it was explained to me at WFC6 by some Ford reps. Or was it WFC5. I dont remember.
So it has a different differential, different halfshafts, and a different suspension. How is that "lifted from the Thunderbird" then? Now you see my point...

Actually it has the same differential and very similar uprights and the rest is engineered to fit the Mustang chassis. At the same time they designed the IRS for the Explorer. BTW the Ford 8.8" IRS center section is one of the strongest most dependable OE IRS units available and can be geared from 2.50:1-4.56:1... I would have started with that one too!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
QuqPFxjpu6kKnhLezELbAGMN0uAUgeNkdBuXrQVLGL44fjgbJ42cFMtwyOoofNhD