1 2 3 4 5 ... 7
turboHLS30
turboHLS30 Reader
10/13/11 8:32 a.m.

I wish you were a little closer, I'd come up and help you with it.

fastclown
fastclown Reader
10/13/11 8:44 a.m.
Gasoline wrote: I wonder what late model XKR bodys go for $$$?

I'm sure he can find one for about $100 and sell the collectable race stickers down to $0...

frankiedank
frankiedank
10/13/11 9:25 a.m.
fastclown wrote:
Gasoline wrote: I wonder what late model XKR bodys go for $$$?
I'm sure he can find one for about $100 and sell the collectable race stickers down to $0...

oh can it clown don't be a sore looser just cause you got beat by american muscle

fastclown
fastclown Reader
10/13/11 9:27 a.m.

he he he .... just saying

Schmidlap
Schmidlap HalfDork
10/13/11 10:24 a.m.
Gasoline wrote: An idea for paint. Sure makes me want a Jaguar race car. I wonder what late model XKR bodys go for $$$?

"Six Degrees of GRM:" Paul Gentilozzi is my boss' brother in law (or brother-in-law's brother, I can't remember which). I'm trying to arrange a visit to his shop to see the Jaguar in person.

Bob

frankiedank
frankiedank New Reader
10/13/11 10:41 a.m.

In reply to fastclown: and thats all you do is "Just say" sometimes i think you mouth runs faster than your cars.

Just Saying

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
10/13/11 10:51 a.m.

There is also this bad boy. Not an XJS but it is an XJ6C V12.

Might give you some inspiration.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/13/11 10:54 a.m.
frankiedank wrote: In reply to fastclown: and thats all you do is "Just say" sometimes i think you mouth runs faster than your cars.

hey frankie, ever heard the saying about rasslin' with a pig? well, your clothes are startin' to get muddy...

EDIT: Well, someone much wiser than me once said the following and it's good advice I think: "There are two things to know about pig wrestling. One is that no matter what you do, you'll get dirty. The second is that the pig likes it."

frankiedank
frankiedank New Reader
10/13/11 11:48 a.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair: very true i will keep that in mind

speedbiu
speedbiu Reader
10/13/11 12:11 p.m.
Gasoline wrote: An idea for paint. Sure makes me want a Jaguar race car. I wonder what late model XKR bodys go for $$$?

Ok,You hit the nail on the head my Corvette is green and I have tons of that paint so YES this is what its going to look like when it arrive next year.Update I'm rebuilding the brakes now so it should be driving tomorrow.Once I find a set of cheap 15" autocross tires It will be going to Deland to run so we can get a baseline as to what we need to do. Per,if your reading this I would like you to drive it.I need a pro drivers opinion on weaknesses.

dculberson
dculberson HalfDork
10/13/11 12:12 p.m.

Who knew that a clown wasn't always a jolly fellow? I guess he's more of the "scary mean hobo" type of clown. Don't try to take away his bottle!

HiTempguy
HiTempguy Dork
10/13/11 1:05 p.m.

Since the auto-x is a big portion of the challenge, and the car is quite long, as soon as I saw this I envisioned a good 6+ inches being chopped out of the middle of it.

You should do that!

hrdlydangerous
hrdlydangerous Reader
10/13/11 1:17 p.m.
HiTempguy wrote: Since the auto-x is a big portion of the challenge, and the car is quite long, as soon as I saw this I envisioned a good 6+ inches being chopped out of the middle of it. You should do that!

Alter the wheelbase like an old A/FX drag car. That should offset all that V-12 weight on the nose.

On a more serious note is it possible to cut a piece of the trunk floor out to make a window to show off those beautiful inboard brakes?

speedbiu
speedbiu Reader
10/13/11 2:52 p.m.

In reply to hrdlydangerous:

Sure,to do a cutaway would be fine.All the weight is hung between the axles so its pretty balanced,or I think so.I'll have it on the road tomorrow so I'll give specs by Sunday.Weight,0-60 1/4 mile(if I don't get caught,hehe).I'll do a dyno when I'm finished with the engine and the side pipes are on it.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
10/13/11 4:18 p.m.

I thought all the clown type smack talk was supposed to happen before the Challenge?

Hey, if you took a XJ-whatever-12, put a 500 shot of nitrous on it, I bet that would do pretty well in the drag portion, huh?

frankiedank
frankiedank New Reader
10/13/11 4:22 p.m.

In reply to Dr. Hess: i figure its best to bust the clown while he is still hot from this past challenge then kick him again right before next year

fastclown
fastclown Reader
10/14/11 7:52 a.m.

That's the beauty of the internet, you get first timers like frankiedork that don't have a clue or a valid thought. He needs to go find a 5-6K car for 1K, sell it down to zero, spend 2K on paper (5K in real life) and bring a 10K car to the 2K Challenge and feel like he built a Challenge car.

The moment the drags were cancelled, all smack would be considered for the next Challenge. I'm just getting an early start. Oink, oink, oink...

tuna55
tuna55 SuperDork
10/14/11 7:57 a.m.
fastclown wrote: That's the beauty of the internet, you get first timers like frankiedork that don't have a clue or a valid thought.

Aren't you glad the welcoming party is so... warm?

frankiedank
frankiedank New Reader
10/14/11 8:19 a.m.

In reply to fastclown: Its nothing personal clown i just don't understand how you can accuse so many people of abusing the rules. Don't you trust anybody anymore? You must have had some bad experiences with people not to trust them. That's the whole point of the rules is to not really enforce them but trust in people to do the right thing, and anybody who cheats well it should eat them up inside for overly abusing the honor system that coincides with the rules. So if you build a 5K car in real life and you come up to me and tell me its a 2K car i will believe you, its on you for gaining you bragging rights by pulling one over on the grm community.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
10/14/11 8:34 a.m.
frankiedank wrote: In reply to fastclown: Its nothing personal clown i just don't understand how you can accuse so many people of abusing the rules. Don't you trust anybody anymore? You must have had some bad experiences with people not to trust them. That's the whole point of the rules is to not really enforce them but trust in people to do the right thing, and anybody who cheats well it should eat them up inside for overly abusing the honor system that coincides with the rules. So if you build a 5K car in real life and you come up to me and tell me its a 2K car i will believe you, its on you for gaining you bragging rights by pulling one over on the grm community.

you got it in one, a btw the clown is just doing his thing, stirring the pot, just give it back as you get, don't let "IT" get to you

fastclown
fastclown Reader
10/14/11 9:13 a.m.

Oh noooo, not an IT comparison!

You are correct, The majority of Americans have become lazy and untrustworthy. They want a prize for doing very little, or just writing a check. I haven't accused anybody of doing anything against the rules. It's just the rules should be updated to keep this more of a builders Challenge than a buyers Challenge. FMV would create a fair field for everybody and would be documented to prove what the FMV is, not a receipt from a friends friend... Not to say you can't come out and have fun with a stock whatever, just don't expect to finish near the top.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
10/14/11 9:23 a.m.

You were so ready for that. I hate being predictable.

dculberson
dculberson HalfDork
10/14/11 9:28 a.m.

I love your references to "buying" a challenge car when a C4 Corvette is nowhere near competitive in this group. Not when a Beetle is running 9.x second drags.

I think you've let your mean smack talk run on into too many threads. Keep it in the smack talk threads, now you're just being rude. I don't care who you are, it's uncalled for here.

Chris_V
Chris_V SuperDork
10/14/11 9:33 a.m.
93EXCivic wrote:
mndsm wrote:
aussiesmg wrote: Come on I call foul, how did you do that for less than $2012. Sorry, just warming up for next year..... l keed, I keed
He got it for that because those v12's are about as prone to running for extended periods of time as Biturbos.
There is a guy in the local British car club who daily drove one for several years with almost no problems.

I daily drove a couple XJ6s like that. Considering I got one for free and one for $1300, I'd say they worked as good as any other cheap car. Daily drove with no problams other than rust in the black one (the free one).

hrdlydangerous
hrdlydangerous Reader
10/14/11 9:48 a.m.

In case you haven't noticed the economy is in the tank. People are desperate for cash and FMV is what you can negotiate for. Anything is only "worth" what someone will pay for it. Even Wheels negotiates his engine parts at swap meets for pennies on the dollar. If we FMV'd his engines do you really think he'd be in budget?

1 2 3 4 5 ... 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wVJmxYOqnFhW0sUrYqY6PjE4fCuZP4aVWadmi9SWVQzYQWmC6CBhm9WFRe1Js5Fy