ScottRA21 wrote: I like THIS direction!

Me like

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
12/9/11 2:41 p.m.
wheels777 wrote:
ScottRA21 wrote: I like THIS direction!
Me like

Are those intakes or exhaust peeking through the hood?

Dan

calvindoesntknow
calvindoesntknow New Reader
12/9/11 9:24 p.m.

In reply to 914Driver: pretty sure thoes are intakes seeing as youd have no backpressure or suction out the hoot like that

speedbiu
speedbiu Reader
12/9/11 10:24 p.m.

I wish I could find aset of headers like that for the jag!! As for flares I'm Making boxed Fiberglass ones.Anyone have a T56 for a 100 bucks??

calvindoesntknow
12/11/11 10:52 a.m.

hey guys, how would kevlar molding work for bumper and sideskirts?

calvindoesntknow
12/11/11 10:54 a.m.

go with a t5! much nicer transmission plus youll never be able to actually get into 6th gear, and itll take off like a freight train. and used t5s are dirt cheap (espcially if you dont care as to if they are lasting)

Timeormoney
Timeormoney Reader
12/11/11 11:28 a.m.
mguar wrote:
speedbiu wrote: If or when the V12 gives up the ghost I'll just pop a 350 in it.It already has a turbo 400 with the chevy bolt pattern.I've researched shocks for it and can only find KYB or Koni non adjustable.
Nope the Turbo 400 transmission in later Jags has a Jaguar bolt pattern not at all like the Chevy, Buick, Olds, Pontiac, GMC, etc.. bolt pattern.. Plus it's not like the passenger car turbo 400 it's the extreme heavy duty one they used for heavy duty trucks. That V12 puts out awesome torque.. (especially considering it's only 326 cubic inches) By the way keep the oil clean and don't overheat it (there are simple no-cost tricks to do that) and expect 300,000+ miles out of it.. Then you can rebuild it and bring it completely back to stock without pulling the engine.. (the cylinder sleeves are removable) The crankshaft is forged and hardened.

Mguar where can I go to learn all these jag v12 tips and tricks?

unevolved
unevolved Dork
12/11/11 3:42 p.m.

Holy damn this thread makes me want an XJ-S...

Rick
Rick New Reader
12/11/11 3:47 p.m.

It's wierd but I had no problem at all replacing the spark plugs. I was shocked after hearing all the horror stories.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon SuperDork
12/12/11 7:17 a.m.

Back to the brake problem: AngryCorvair is teh brakemaster here. I'd suggest getting him involved, he should be able to point you in the right direction to fix things up.

Merely disconnecting the ABS will leave the pump in the circuit and it now becomes a restriction, that's where the 'no stop' problem comes from. So if you disconnect the pump you need to run hard lines to bypass it (easy to find at the local PepVanceZone). Once that's done you should find that you now have brakes again.

Shocks: crap, leave the stockers in place and piggyback some junkyard Monroes or ??? That's just fabrication. Don't give up the XJ-S ship!

speedbiu
speedbiu Reader
12/13/11 4:59 p.m.

In reply to Curmudgeon:

I have went with an 85 brake system they dont have the ABS.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon SuperDork
12/14/11 9:30 a.m.

speedbiu, what type of brake problem are you having? Or did you get all that worked out?

mguar, I haven't looked under the front of an XJS in a loooong time. Is there any reason the upper and lower spring mounts couldn't be modified to work with the usual, say, Ford E150 etc coils, making a whole world of stiff boneyard springs suddenly available? Or even put a smaller diameter spring inside the main spring? IIRC on the rear it should be pretty simple to adapt 2 1/2" race springs, those are available pretty cheap used and eBay coilover sleeves should work. I know I'm talking boneyard solutions but that's probably going to be necessary to keep things within a Challenge budget.

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/14/11 1:45 p.m.

In reply to mguar:

NASCAR likely doesn't run ABS because of its fear of anything electronic on their cars.

Formula 1, ALMS and Grand-Am all use it or have used it successfully.

Schmidlap
Schmidlap HalfDork
12/14/11 6:16 p.m.

Formula 1 doesn't allow ABS, the teams don't have a choice. Nascar doesn't allow it either for whatever reason. Many of the rules changes in both series' are meant to reduce the performance of the car, not increase it.

From Formula1.com: "Indeed as ABS anti-skid systems have been banned from Formula One racing...Formula One previously allowed anti-skid braking systems (which would reduce the brake pressure to allow the wheel to turn again and then continue to slow it at the maximum possible rate) but these were banned in the 1990s. Braking therefore remains one of the sternest tests of a Formula One driver's skill."

It's possible they banned ABS in an attempt to get rid of traction control, but race teams found a way around that too.

I'd imagine that Formula 1 teams would love to have ABS, especially with races in the rain.

Bob

turboswede
12/14/11 7:24 p.m.

In reply to mguar:

As has been stated before, F1 did use it once. ALMS does in some classes, etc. Most factory ABS systems are not well suited to racing, but that doesn't mean they can't or won't work in this situation.

Yes NASCAR uses an "electronic" rev limiter, but its just an MSD box and is mandated by the rules. Currently, they are not allowed any other electronics in the cars (aside from the radio and Camera systems) Going to EFI is just one step closer to moving to alternative fuels (which is somewhat inevitable from a marketing standpoint, think of the corn growers wetting themselves over the possibility of sponsoring a NASCAR team)

In a straight line stop, my Mom could beat an early ABS system. ABS is not about stopping shorter, it is about maintaining control to avoid the impact. In a panic stop, the rate at which you decelerate is determined by the mass of the vehicle, the amount of friction between tires and pavement.

With that said, lets let it drop. The fact is the Jag needed a cheaper/easier to manage braking system and eliminating the ABS won't hurt it much in the Challenge as any deficit can be overcome with wider and wider tires and flared fenders.

Does anyone remember draguar? from one of the original GRM message boards? Dude talked about building a Jag to compete in the Challenge and then set about afterward getting folks riled up a bit talking about supposed cheaters, etc. Wonder what happened to that guy?

speedbiu
speedbiu Reader
12/14/11 7:57 p.m.

Blah,blah,blah.The ABS system has left the building and it will arrive with big honking flared fenders.Anyone want to donate a set of sidepipes??

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
12/14/11 8:31 p.m.

I am very glad you are building the Jag.

speedbiu
speedbiu Reader
12/14/11 9:00 p.m.

Thanks Josh! PS I still need those 315 35 17's you have"PLEASE"

turboswede
12/19/11 9:09 p.m.

Would this help?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Koni-Shocks-Jaguar-XJ-1987-94-/280793508859?hash=item416098ebfb&item=280793508859&pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

Good luck!

DaewooOfDeath
DaewooOfDeath HalfDork
12/19/11 10:08 p.m.

I'm glad you decided not to give up. This sounds like the type of project where you gain lots by simplifying. At least in my experience, those are the most enjoyable builds anyway.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon SuperDork
12/20/11 1:40 p.m.

(mumbles curses on mguar's hemorrhoids, checks CL for dead XJS's)

BoostedBrandon
BoostedBrandon HalfDork
12/20/11 1:59 p.m.

I think I have found the car to go land speed racing with, dammit. goes to local craigslist

calvindoesntknow
12/20/11 7:52 p.m.

mguar, what wilwoods work? the right size to put on my xjs haha,

Rick
Rick New Reader
12/25/11 12:31 p.m.

In reply to mguar:

I heard rumors back in the early 80's that corvette gears fit in the rear of the Jag. Anyone know if it is true?

BoostedBrandon
BoostedBrandon HalfDork
12/25/11 3:43 p.m.

In reply to mguar:

I was thinking the ECTA's standing mile races in wilmington ohio. No super speed salt flat stuff.

1 ... 4 5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2MBsdKABFKiDRe6eQdkclnLzEZ7Q0Eywv1o0tZ7jOeGWpMXMPaIFvlXyyeGcpQvq