Somebeach (Forum Supporter)
Somebeach (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
2/12/21 7:26 p.m.

Just adding these to my IAAI.com search list.

Looks like you can get a LFX or a 2.0 turbo in either. Seem like pretty fun options. 

Both offer either RWD or AWD.

If you were choosing for a fun sporty cruiser, would you choose the AWD or RWD version? 

Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter)
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/12/21 8:25 p.m.

RWD all day and twice on Friday. Lighter, better handling, easier and less maintenance. Also you can get the 2.0T with a manual if you shop hard enough and they are RWD only.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/12/21 8:45 p.m.

I haven't seen an AWD CTS that didn't have a limited slip rear diff.

I'd never bother with a rear drive car if AWD was available.    I like to be able to accelerate when it is raining or snowy/icy, and not have to worry about throttle modulation or rely on electronannies.   This goes double for anything with a turbocharger.  Even the modern turbo engines have a bit of nonlinearity to their response, which is exactly what you don't want when you are searching for traction.

My competition cars are naturally aspirated rear drive, but the car I use to get me places in all conditions has all wheel drive.  And a stonkin' big turbo because BOOOOOST

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/12/21 9:17 p.m.

Do you deal with snow?  If you do have snow do you have a second vehical to deal with snow?  

2/13/21 8:10 a.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

Yes deal with snow. My Daily driver is a tundra with 4x4. 

2/13/21 8:11 a.m.

Interesting thoughts. One with a manual would be fun. Seems like the are few and far between right now on the salvage site. 

preach (fs)
preach (fs) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/13/21 8:19 a.m.

rwd

Pete. (l33t FS)
2/13/21 8:50 a.m.

One of the most giggleworthy things is to be able to accelerate when the roads are wet and the car doesn't need to be caught and corrected, it just goes.

etifosi
etifosi SuperDork
2/13/21 10:58 a.m.

In reply to Somebeach (Forum Supporter) :

vsquaredbyrho
vsquaredbyrho New Reader
3/25/21 6:17 p.m.

If you go for the RWD version of the ATS, one of the trims comes with a limited slip differential. For maximum fun.

P3PPY
P3PPY GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/25/21 7:25 p.m.

Lady at work had an AWD 300 and just got rid of an AWD Caddy. She hated the 300 this winter because it was tail happy and misses the Caddy because it was so predictable in the snow - it turns out their diff will allow for a lot more power up front than the Chrysler, making it very well mannered in the snow. 

Do with that what you will but that crap sounds super boring to me. 

dj06482 (Forum Supporter)
dj06482 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/25/21 8:01 p.m.

I had an AWD ATS 2.0T and it was pretty tail happy in the snow!  

Pete. (l33t FS)
3/26/21 7:35 a.m.

In reply to P3PPY :

If I'm trying to get to work, I'll take "super boring" that covers ground quickly and without drama.  

And being able to just god-mode through awful weather is giggleworthy all in its own.

rslifkin
rslifkin UberDork
3/26/21 7:54 a.m.

I'd take the RWD one.  99% of the time, it'll drive nicer and feel better.  Yeah, AWD is fun in the snow, but after going from DD-ing my Jeep with 4wd and LSDs at both ends to the RWD / open diff BMW, I can't say I miss having 4wd on hand other than the occasional Subaru style throttle ripping session when turning through an empty intersection in the snow.  Even in the snow, I rarely find RWD to be any issue (and the Jeep spent most of its snow time in 2wd anyway unless it was really bad out). 

The need AWD for rain thing is just BS.  Better tires take care of that problem unless you're talking about a car with silly amounts of power. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
3/26/21 8:03 a.m.

In reply to rslifkin :

Focuses and Fits have silly amounts of power, then, because they have traction problems in the rain.

rslifkin
rslifkin UberDork
3/26/21 8:06 a.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

In reply to rslifkin :

Focuses and Fits have silly amounts of power, then, because they have traction problems in the rain.

They're FWD, not RWD.  I've always been of the opinion that FWD cars suck at getting moving from a stop, especially in a turn.  Which is why I don't like them on the street and part of why I can't stand them in the snow.  RWD does a much better job in that situation. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
BF9F8oeQpwpao4LsWhtfuWtpwb2MrOMUPpmht6xjyV9e6AXdMooUerGKr5b3IAHe