1 2 3 ... 20
Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/15/18 11:28 a.m.

I'm making it official right now. We're going to parking lot build an MR2. I'll try to keep this first post updated with info so it is easy to find.

Time: Starting Thursday (10/11/2018) morning. About 7 AM.

Car: 1986 MR2  (as seen here)

Team: anyone who wants to help is very welcome

Contact: Me - via pm works and I can give you my cell number too if you need it

The plan:

Car is currently rust free and in good shape except for the following issues. 1. it is NA. 2. it is automatic. 3. It has a blown head/headgasket 4. it has poor paint. We're going to fix all three of those issues in the parking lot by swapping in a supercharged motor and manual transmission. We might try to fix the paint too. Sound aggressive? Yes, but insert your favorite Teddy Roosevelt quote here (basically they all just mean "nut up or shut up").

Work Items to-do (stolen almost word-for-word from page 3):

I think the way to go (assuming things don't just melt down into chaos) will be to have three main groups, we'll call them A and B and C. This is the general overview currently. I will bring some cardboard for each team's list, as well as some 'wishlists'.

1:

• A) Remove stock engine, transmission, axles, wiring, pedal assy, console, shifter.
  • B) Prep SC engine and trans, install clutch, mate the two together.
  • C) Go mount the tires on the wheels.

2:

• A) Install manual shifter and cables, console, pedal assy, install new clutch hard line.
  • B) Test fuel pump. Work out all wiring changes according to printed instructions Robbie brings.
  • C) Replace front brake disks and pads, front sway bar bushings. Inspect front suspension. Test fit front wheels/tires.

3:

• A) Install engine and transmission, connect axles, shifter cables, plumbing. 
  • B) Connect wiring, troubleshoot wiring, get engine to fire (fluids first!).
  • C) Replace rear brake disks and pads. Inspect rear suspension. Test fit rear wheels/tires.

4:

• A) Exhaust connected. Bleed brakes and clutch.
  • B) Graphics.
  • C) Registration packet, build book.

People can jump between the two groups at will but having the distinction between them will probably help a lot at the beginning.  We will have designated runners for parts/fluids/paint/food/drink as well as a person documenting, both would be separate from these groups.

We'll have a piece of cardboard with two wishlists for "stuff" and "people" that we can add to and keep on display for people to jump in.  So 6 hours in it might say:
"Stuff: CV grease, JB weld, gear oil"
"People: Wiring wizard, aluminum TIG expert (BYOW)"

Other relevant threads to keep together:

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/201x-classifieds/aw11-mr2-parts/142027/page1/

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/may-be-too-early-to-ask-butwhos-doing-a-challenge-hotel-parking-lot-build-this-year/140471/page1/

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/calling-all-aw11-mr2-experts-i-need-some-consult-for-a-possible-parking-lot-challenge-build/142030/page1/

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/2018-challenge-news/141082/page1/

http://www.padandwheels.com/mr2/4agze/wiring.html

https://midshiprunabout.org/mk1/1985-1986-mk-i-automatic-to-manual-transmission-swap/print/

https://www.goodreads.com/author/quotes/44567.Theodore_Roosevelt

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UltraDork
8/15/18 11:35 a.m.

Sign me up!

I plan to bring:  
-C50 transaxle w/ stubs
-Clutch, flywheel, master cyl, slave cyl (no clutch hardline)
-Manual clutch/brake pedal assy
-Shifter assy w/ cables

I can also bring:
-Wide 13" steelies with ancient Avon slicks
-Coilover sleeves w/ highly questionable springs
-Assorted intercooler couplers/piping
-Tools?

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/15/18 11:41 a.m.

What's the bolt pattern on these?  I might have some wheels that'll work.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
8/15/18 11:43 a.m.

I can be there late Wednesday night and lend a hand all day Thursday.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UltraDork
8/15/18 11:46 a.m.

If anyone wants to make vinyl for this thing, I'm fairly certain it needs the red/orange/yellow Toyota racing stripes and "TRD" style stickers that say both "TuRD" and "PLB" with parking lot build under it in small font.

In reply to Stampie:

4x100mm

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
8/15/18 11:50 a.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

If anyone wants to make vinyl for this thing, I'm fairly certain it needs the red/orange/yellow Toyota racing stripes and "TRD" style stickers that say both "TuRD" and "PLB" with parking lot build under it in small font.

While that's probably a very good idea, it seems that this car would be a good candidate for a rustolium paint job.  Cheap, can be done while others are doing "stuff", and should dry fast enough between engines.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
8/15/18 11:50 a.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

Depending on how big it needs to be, I have a Cricket Maker I can use.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UltraDork
8/15/18 11:51 a.m.

In reply to alfadriver :

My want for vinyl definitely has nothing to do with the quantity of olive drab rattlecan fumes I inhaled on the Trans Am Ghettocet build.  Nothing.  cheeky

NickD
NickD UberDork
8/15/18 12:57 p.m.
alfadriver said:
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

While that's probably a very good idea, it seems that this car would be a good candidate for a rustolium paint job.  Cheap, can be done while others are doing "stuff", and should dry fast enough between engines.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/15/18 1:03 p.m.

I can help with vinyl design at least, I may show up and do some work too. I may be able to donate some parts to the cause...I have some 2.5"ID springs I'm never gonna use and some 4AGE stuff.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
8/15/18 1:17 p.m.

I’ll bring the car and the engine!

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
8/15/18 1:21 p.m.

Note, I have the E51 trans, but no stub axles or spindles. 

If anyone has those, we can use the E51. 

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/15/18 1:25 p.m.

I have some 13 inch 4x100 ATS alloys with toyo proixes of unknown age. 

GameboyRMH
8/15/18 1:29 p.m.
SVreX said:

Not sure you'd want to...it's stronger, but also MUCH heavier. You can generally get away with running 4AGZE's torque through a C5x, and there are no drags this year...

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
8/15/18 1:52 p.m.

I wish I could help. I am interested in that e51 though if it doesn't get used and I end up with that MR2 in Kansas City. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
8/15/18 2:05 p.m.

Bolt pattern and center bore diamater on the MR2 and the Miata are the same.  Miata wheels of 14x6 will fit on these cars.  Miata of 14x5.5 from '90 to '93 will not fit.  

With the 14x6 the offset ends up beaing a little "wrong" but nothing hits and nothing rubs.  I used to autox my '88 MR2 with the same Mazda MX3 wheels and tires that I raced my Miata with.  

15" Miata wheels look better than the 14" Miata wheels.  

Not my car but some image "proof"  

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
8/15/18 2:06 p.m.
GameboyRMH said:
SVreX said:

Not sure you'd want to...it's stronger, but also MUCH heavier. You can generally get away with running 4AGZE's torque through a C5x, and there are no drags this year...

Yes, I understand. 

That’s Robbie’s call.  

Robbie
8/15/18 2:20 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

That does look good! good info about what wheels fit and what dont.

Robbie
8/15/18 2:22 p.m.

We are still looking for a pair of axles, if anyone has some for sale for challenge prices, let me know.

Or, does anyone know if the NA auto axles are the same as the NA manual trans axles?

GameboyRMH
8/15/18 2:31 p.m.

Auto and manual axles are different for the NA model at least, according to online manual conversion guides and the parts specs I can find.

pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
8/15/18 3:32 p.m.

I will be there to lend my expertise in ruining cars in a parking lot. smiley

I plan to arrive Wednesday night.

I have a set of 15x6.5 I will bring. They need tires,  I will see what I can find used in a 205 50 15.

I will also bring an engine hoist and the tall jack stands I used in the past to pull the mr2 engine.

Let me know what else I can do to help.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
8/15/18 3:50 p.m.
GameboyRMH said:

Auto and manual axles are different for the NA model at least, according to online manual conversion guides and the parts specs I can find.

Rock Auto lists different part numbers for auto and manual CV half shaft for NA models

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
8/15/18 4:14 p.m.

I will bring the car on a wood decked trailer with the center boards removed. We may be able to drop the engine through the bottom, as if it’s on a lift. 

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/15/18 5:00 p.m.

I am unsure if i will make it or not but if i do i will help. 

Stampie, what ats wheels are they? Do you want to sell them?

pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
8/15/18 5:51 p.m.

There is a 1986 mr2 in the junkyard here in jax.  Do I need to see if it has axles? Any other parts we need?

Does the mr2 run currently?

1 2 3 ... 20

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
NAMQFPFRpvojbRvbnPSanuw7mqTz2ERo4Q5ZVcW88QRJ6fPG6ZQM6jZ3pnixfSmY