P3PPY
P3PPY GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/21/22 10:03 p.m.

At a kid's birthday party tonight and the dad was working on his Ram 1500 4WD. Front left wheel has been making a rubbing/grinding sound. He's replaced pads, rotor, caliper, hub, hub again, half shaft. It seems to have gotten a little better but not all gone. 
What else could rub up there?

I did not confirm symptoms, but he says it's not speed dependent, doesn't change with brakes or turning, isn't engine speed dependent.

He lives on a dirt road, but only like 1/2 mile. Also, when he replaced the half shaft there's a metal ring into the front diff that got a little bent up somehow, and he isn't sure if he has it in just right, and the wheel spins freely, he wasn't sure if that was normal or if he'd broken something.

Thoughts??

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/21/22 10:35 p.m.

Carrier bearings/half shaft bearings.  Would likely sound like a low growl like it had knobby mud tires.

Unlikely that it's a pinion bearing since they spin 4x faster and usually whine instead of growl

P3PPY
5/22/22 9:40 a.m.

In reply to Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) :

I'll pass that along, thanks. Current plan is to see if sound was misheard passenger side. 

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
5/22/22 11:40 a.m.

Does he have cupping on the inside edge of the front tires?

P3PPY
5/22/22 12:54 p.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

I'll have to check. What is the significance of inboard cupping in this case?

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
5/22/22 4:20 p.m.

Sounds a lot like a bad wheel bearing, except it changes with the texture of the road surface.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YlAPiGTqEG68pTdenfCRcJZeyQNn5XUvD4uB4WOTy3d9XmQFJfH2JNm4vUhcHvqP