Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem SuperDork
1/5/19 3:17 p.m.

Sunday evening at 6 p.m. eastern time.  Daily coverage each night at 6 EST all next week.  Event being held in Peru this year.

07_530i
07_530i New Reader
1/5/19 3:52 p.m.

In reply to Ovid_and_Flem :

Thanks

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
1/5/19 5:52 p.m.

I understand the name recognition, but it seems a little odd to be still calling it a Dakar rally when it's held in South America.

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
1/5/19 7:31 p.m.

Sweet. Wish I had time to watch it. Maybe I’ll dig up a tv for the shop and try it. 

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/5/19 8:45 p.m.

In reply to stuart in mn :

It does especially since the whole thing is taking place in one country but I set my DVR anyway.  The wife and I really enjoy watching it every year and if I ever run into money I’m going to see it in person. 

I wish my favorite driver got tv time but I follow him online:

https://www.hino-global.com/corp/dakar/team_sugawara.html

Wally
1/10/19 8:03 p.m.

I haven't watched any yet, I'm waiting for the wife to come home this weekend. Instead I've been watching some old ones on YouTube.  Last night I watched 1986 highlights.  Tonight I'm watching 1987.  It's in I think French which I don't speak but it's got Stretched Peugoet 205s, a LADA Niva, and Jan De Rooy's twin engine DAF steaming past pretty much everything.  At some point when I was a kid these were shown on cable tv here because I remember watching them and becoming a fan at some point in Jr High.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgcJX0zf4R0

dxman92
dxman92 Reader
1/10/19 8:05 p.m.

I think you can find highlights or recaps on youtube...

boxedfox
boxedfox Reader
1/10/19 8:35 p.m.

In reply to Wally :

Sugawara (the senior) is my favorite as well. The man is completely mental. 77 years old and thinks flying over sand dunes in one of these is a sensible way to spend his retirement:

Just to add to the weirdness, the other Hino truck is driven by his son. It's like some sort of bizarre yearly ritual for their family.

Wally
1/10/19 8:54 p.m.

In reply to boxedfox :

It’s insane that he’s still able to do it at his age.  A few years ago we were talking to my wife’s acupuncturist about something and it came up that she was following along too. The next time she went home to Japan she brought me back a tiny replica of his truck that came on some snack container.  

Edit: I was asking if there was any meaning to that goldfish windsock on his truck. She thought it was for good luck.

boxedfox
boxedfox Reader
1/10/19 9:19 p.m.

In reply to Wally :

The fish windsock is called a "Koinobori." It's a carp-like windsock-streamer thing that they fly on May 5th (Children's Day in Japan) to celebrate good health and longevity for the children in each family.

They normally stack 3-5 of them on a flagpole, with one for each member of the family. The father always gets a big black fish, while the mother always gets a big red fish. Each child gets a different colored fish, and they get progressively smaller as you work your way down to the youngest child.

In families where the grandparents live with their children, they will sometimes fly a gold or silver fish under the children's fish, in the hopes that they'll continue to be in good health and that they will stick around to see their grandchildren grow up.

TL;DR: I think it's his way of saying "I may be 77 but I'm still a kid on the inside."

adam525i
adam525i GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/11/19 7:27 a.m.
dxman92 said:

Dakar has their own channel with daily highlights for each stage, there's a video for the bikes, cars and trucks with quads and side by sides thrown in there. They're each about 5 minutes long and there are English versions. Great for keeping up with the rally without a lot of fluff (they have other videos for that stuff too which are pretty good).

https://www.youtube.com/user/dakar

Adam

adam525i
adam525i GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/11/19 7:31 a.m.

And for those craving a race to Dakar this is also going on right now.

Africa Eco Race

I haven't kept up with this other than to know it exists, I'll probably check out their stage highlight videos tonight or tomorrow on their Youtube channel, looks like there are English versions.

https://www.youtube.com/user/AfricaEcoRace

Adam

HFmaxi
HFmaxi Reader
1/11/19 7:49 a.m.
adam525i said:
dxman92 said:

Dakar has their own channel with daily highlights for each stage, there's a video for the bikes, cars and trucks with quads and side by sides thrown in there. They're each about 5 minutes long and there are English versions. Great for keeping up with the rally without a lot of fluff (they have other videos for that stuff too which are pretty good).

https://www.youtube.com/user/dakar

Adam

This is what I watch. You can also get daily coverage via RedbullTV. IMO Redbull does do a lot of original coverage in addition to the Dakar feed but their lack of voice over or additional info on whats going on with the event really dulls the coverage.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
TyzW9Fs7kmiTagaCBpCyeacNDsYn4s4v8gsxbPCvezYawix1pVY1SqPdiogtMMZR