1 2 3
wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UberDork
8/20/19 5:30 p.m.
camaroz1985 said:

If only it had superficial rear seats like a 911 it would be catapulted to the top of my next car list.  Maybe I will have to do 911 and then C8 once the kids don't fit in the 911 any more.

If it helps your kids are not fitting in the back of a 911. Unless they are really small and even then I cannot imagine getting kids into a coupe with a car seat. 

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/20/19 6:02 p.m.
z31maniac said:
D2W said:
Knurled. said:
06HHR said:

In reply to Javelin :

The lack of a published Nurburgring ring time for the C7 had nothing to do with realiability: Jim Mero interview

That is actually kind of depressing.  A whole lot of stupid incidental failures like camera hiccups, or bad weather, or just otherwise bad luck.

I think the best thing from that interview was the fact that the C7 ZR1 in "Engine Protection Mode" ran a 7:06 putting out only 625HP.

I was thinking the same. "Only" 625hp.

I know, right?  It was down on power to only 625hp, and it ran a few heatbeats shy of a sub seven minute lap, and they were like "Nah, not good enough to tell people about."

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UberDork
8/21/19 11:50 p.m.
Cloud9...68 said:

With this car now a reality, why would anyone buy a:

- Supra

- Any Lamborghini

- Any McLaren

- NSX

- Pretty much any Ferrari

- Ford GT

- Mercedes GT

We'll see what the road tests reveal, but on paper, GM seems to have a game changer on its hands.  Nice to see this kind of engineering prowess demonstrated by an American company.

You know I was thinking the same thing the other day. I saw a new NSX and thought "damn thats sexy and I love me some Hondas; but, the new Corvette is literally almost half as much as that with similar styling!"

JimS
JimS Reader
8/22/19 12:20 p.m.

As someone who owned many GM cars and their sketchy quality I think there are many reason to buy those other cars.  I bought a used 911 instead of a new C7. I couldn't get comfortable in the vette. I also prefer the classic look of the 911 over most gaudy super cars. Also if I had Ferrari money just the wail of a Ferrari engine is reason enough to buy one. 

camaroz1985
camaroz1985 HalfDork
8/23/19 8:24 a.m.

There are supposed to be 6 or 8 of these at Corvettes at Carlisle this weekend according to Lance Miller.  Also GM built a temporary building on the fairgrounds to house all the sample colors, wheels, seats, etc. that can be seen at all the events that have been posted online.  They are definitely preparing for a big turnout, though weather today is not so great, tomorrow should be good.  Hoping to maybe see one in "motion" if they put one in the parade through town on Saturday night.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
8/23/19 8:39 a.m.

I can’t wait to see the ADM.  

Paul_VR6
Paul_VR6 Dork
8/23/19 9:34 a.m.

I don't see a trim level with gold chains or fresh white NB as standard features. 

Exactly when is the appropriate age for a mid-life crisis? Got all the other cars paid off and what fun is it investing in your future...

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones Reader
8/23/19 9:37 p.m.
Paul_VR6 said:

I don't see a trim level with gold chains or fresh white NB as standard features. 

Exactly when is the appropriate age for a mid-life crisis? Got all the other cars paid off and what fun is it investing in your future...

And that is exactly why people will continue to buy the other cars mentioned here, no matter what, it’s a corvette. There are a lot of people that have no interest in being a "corvette guy"

jv8
jv8 GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/25/19 5:56 a.m.
Steve_Jones said:
Paul_VR6 said:

And that is exactly why people will continue to buy the other cars mentioned here, no matter what, it’s a corvette. There are a lot of people that have no interest in being a "corvette guy"

On one hand I’m annoyed with people applying (and being concerned about) stereotypes... but on the other hand this effect probably helped me buy an awesome C5Z for cheap.

Now that I think about it I’m kind of a hypocrite - I really like new electric tech but the vegan Tesla owner at work who evangelizes every day about Tesla has turned me off the entire brand.  I should work on that.

Nathan JansenvanDoorn
Nathan JansenvanDoorn Dork
8/25/19 7:02 a.m.
wearymicrobe said:
camaroz1985 said:

If only it had superficial rear seats like a 911 it would be catapulted to the top of my next car list.  Maybe I will have to do 911 and then C8 once the kids don't fit in the 911 any more.

If it helps your kids are not fitting in the back of a 911. Unless they are really small and even then I cannot imagine getting kids into a coupe with a car seat. 

FWIW, me (and many others) put kids in the back of 911's.  As soon as they were able to be in forward facing booster seats.  My 9 year old has been riding in the back seat of the Porsche for nearly 7 years now.  For some of us, that back seat makes a huge difference!

Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/25/19 7:24 a.m.

I'm starting to change my mind on the idea of ordering a new C8.

While a new Corvette should primarily have a depreciating effect on prior Corvettes, especially the C7, the C8 seems to be a big enough deal that it could have an outsized effect on competing cars. It feels like the C8 should put some downward pressure on the Evora, Elige, 4C, Viper, Cayman, Boxster and 911 markets. Instead of buying a C8 at $60k, maybe see how much of one of these I can get for $40k in a few months. 

I really could use a good source for data on asking prices and market volume. I want to see if there is a spike in, say, 4C Spider availability.

docwyte
docwyte UltraDork
8/25/19 8:46 a.m.
wearymicrobe said:

I specifically bought my 911 because it has a back seat, it replaced my E36 M3 that had a cage in it and I couldn't fit the kids.  My son fits back there in his booster with tons of room to spare and he's 6.  He'll fit back there easily for years to come.  My 14 year old daughter can fit back there too but somewhat unhappily.  Hell, my friend who's 5'9" stuffed himself back there for a short ride one time.

Cloud9...68
Cloud9...68 New Reader
8/25/19 7:57 p.m.

Funny, I bought my 968 for the same reason, and carted my kids and their friends in the back seat for many years.  It's now a track car, so the rear seat is long gone.

I understand what people are saying about the C8 still being a Corvette, but to me, it looks like a whole different beast.  It just has a more refined and expensive look, at least in pictures.  I'm sure I'll be seeing lots of them at the track soon, so it will be interesting to see if it live up to its hype, and specs.  If it comes anywhere close, I still maintain it will steal sales away from traditional supercars - yes, many people with the money to buy a McLaren will probably still get one, but I bet there are plenty of folks who would be happy spending the difference on some other cool item or items.

camaroz1985
camaroz1985 HalfDork
8/26/19 8:54 a.m.

Yeah I have seen plenty of people with kids in 911s and that is a large reason to why it is at the top of my short list.  I would love to have a C8, but I want to share the experience with my kids.  We won't use a 911 for long trips, but for an hour or less, a kid who loves cars can tolerate a lot.  Once they aren't able to do that any longer, the C8 will most likely be its replacement.

I know Corvette owners get a lot of crap (some well deserved), but all of the owners I have met have been the nicest people.  No where is that more evident than in Carlisle this past weekend.  I have 3 year old twins who love cars, and they are so excited for these parades, and to see the cars up close.  They have been coached up to not touch or lean on cars, and they do a good job of that, but the owners who see them taking interest in their cars are very welcoming, letting them sit in them, showing them under the hood, turning on lights, giving them candy and matchbox cars . (They got C2 grand sports last year, and a C6, C7R, and C7 Z06 this year.  Whenever they play with them they say "remember when we went to the parade and that guy gave us these cars.")  It's the perfect experience to get kids hooked on cars for life!  This experience isn't unique to Corvette owners, was very similar at the Porsche Swap Meet in Hershey, but a great experience overall. 

Back on the C8 front, no C8s in the parade (why GM???), but as luck would have it while driving through town on Friday one drove by while I was waiting at a light.  I thought about following it (based on the direction it was going they were most likely going for dinner), but I didn't have time.  Zeus bronze looks amazing in person.  This car had black wheels and yellow calipers.  It all just looked great together.  Also the car didn't look as long as it does in most pictures.

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones Reader
8/28/19 7:55 a.m.

I wasn’t feeling the looks of these in the beginning, but mostly because I saw bright colors. There were some at Carlisle this weekend and the muted colors looked better to me.

dclafleur
dclafleur Reader
8/28/19 8:12 a.m.

Superficial and stupid but I haven't liked the GM wheel designs on the base engined cars for the last five years.  I know it's easily remedied and entirely subjective but they just haven't been to my taste.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/28/19 9:00 a.m.
Steve_Jones said:

I wasn’t feeling the looks of these in the beginning, but mostly because I saw bright colors. There were some at Carlisle this weekend and the muted colors looked better to me.

Make that a 2-tone bronze and I might be a potential buyer...

...in 25-years when it’s sitting on blocks in a trailer park. 

camaroz1985
camaroz1985 HalfDork
8/28/19 10:07 a.m.
Steve_Jones said:

That's the one I saw driving around.  Looks great with the sun shining on it going down the road.

Schmidlap
Schmidlap HalfDork
9/4/19 8:56 p.m.
Schmidlap said:

For the Canadians reading this thread, Chevy Canada has pricing up: the coupe starts at $65k (about $48k USD), convertible at $70k. Z51 is a $6000 option.

Canadian configurator

So I just realized I'm a huge idiot and the "build and price" function on the Canadian chevy site is for the 2019 model, not the 2020. 

How did I figure this out?  In early July I went and looked at a 1998 Viper GTS, we agreed on a price, I gave a deposit, it just needed to get the windshield fixed (decent sized chip in front of the driver, wouldn't have passed Ontario safety check).  The owner had a new windshield on order so I was going to wait the week he was told it would take for the new windshield to come in and let his insurance pay for it.  It ended up taking 3.5 weeks to come in, they ripped out the old windshield (destroying it in the process) and then realized the new one was for a 94 convertible so it didn't fit.  It turns out windshields for the second gen GTS's simply aren't available anymore; there's no aftermarket supplier and Chrysler is not ordering any (or is getting jerked around by their supplier if you believe the online stories).  Anyways, today the windshield place finally got another windshield in for the Viper but it was in pieces, so after two months of waiting to buy a 20 year old car, I threw in the towel and asked for my deposit back.  Then I decided that the base price of a 2020 Vette isn't "that much more" of a jump from what I was going to spend on the Viper, so I went to the Chevy website to price it out and that is when I realized the "build and price" button at the bottom of the 2020 Vette page says: "can't wait, then how about a 2019", or something to that effect.  I haven't felt this disappointed since I learned that fine Corinthian leather isn't real leather.  Hopefully when Canadian pricing gets announced, it's not too much of a jump from 2019, but still, even if the base price is $70 CDN, I might go for it.  Sorry for being an idiot.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yuGndGCzyenuIi8vJAbEVsiQRJedVEZYohwZPKh2OJ5D5qvp0ga1stJZwSVoMVfV