Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
6/17/20 3:25 p.m.
feature_image

We recently drove the non-hybrid Sonata Limited not too long ago. Our thoughts? A fantastic "normal car" that might actually make your commute less sucky. It even came with a fun party trick called Smart Park Assist.

Under the hood of this Sonata Hybrid is a 150-horsepower, 1.6-liter inline-four that's combined with a 39kw electric motor. Both engine and electric motor are said …

Read the rest of the story

Stealthtercel
Stealthtercel Dork
6/17/20 4:37 p.m.

Ooh, look: my chance to be That Guy!  JG and the specs column say the engine is a 2.0, not a 1.6.  

Of much more interest: a family member has a 2015 Elantra (which, in Hyundai years, is probably three generations ago or something) and because kids apparently keep growing even while locked down he's starting to get some static from the back-seat squad on the subject of space.  (They're 8 years old in a regular seatbelt, 6 in a booster seat, and an infant.)  Would the Sonata be bigger enough in the back to be worth looking at, or is he inexorably heading toward a minivan?

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
6/17/20 4:50 p.m.

I love how these look in person and that makes me slightly itchy. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
6/17/20 5:42 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

JG finally came out of the closet..... in his admiration of Hyundai. So can you. Cmon join the cool kids!

edit: is that a solar panel in the roof? Sweet. 

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
6/17/20 5:53 p.m.
bobzilla said:
mazdeuce - Seth said:

JG finally came out of the closet..... in his admiration of Hyundai. So can you. Cmon join the cool kids!

edit: is that a solar panel in the roof? Sweet. 

Oh I love me some Hyundai. Of course, it doesn't hurt that one of our buddies in their PR department is a huge MR2 nerd, but at every level it's kind of a company that gets it right now. Somehow they seem to have the flexibility of a specialty car maker to do stuff like hire the guy responsible for BMW's M Cars to develop their performance lineup, while also having the resources of one of the largest industrial companies in the world. That's a cool combo,and I hope it's sustainable for them.

And, yeah, full-roof solar panels. Shocked that hasn't been a more common offering until recently.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
6/17/20 5:54 p.m.

In reply to JG Pasterjak :

I am surprised by the lack of roof panels too. And welcome to the Hyundai Humpers club. We get cool signed posters and get to drive cool cars slightly used for pennies. 

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
6/17/20 5:58 p.m.

Huh.  Sounds like they're moving backwards.  The 2.0 TGDI in the 2012 made 274 HP and returned decent mileage.  It wasn't the engine that caused us to dump the car after just a year, though.  It was all the transmission issues and the electrical gremlins. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
6/18/20 7:27 a.m.

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

Decent, yes. They're now pushing the non-hybrid cars over 40mpg and the hybrids into the 50-60 range. The SE/SX 2.0T cars were rated at 34 highway 22 city and a combined of 26. the 2020 non-hybrid is 28/38 combined 32. The 2019 hybrids were rated at 45 city/51 highway with a combined 47. So, from an economy perspective that's FAR from going backwards. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kiRtgjR25W0Uh3yb7XdwYRqEChPRk4AOQ4rJ5D0q7mc8Ni6z3XSG3fCB83d8BjB9