Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
7/16/20 4:28 p.m.
feature_image

[Editor's Note: Exterior photography features a 2020 Subaru Legacy Sport]

A turbocharger has been missing from the engine bay of the Legacy for a few years, but is now making a faithful return for the 2020 model year.

The Limited XT and Touring XT trims drop the naturally aspirated, 182-horsepower, 2.5-liter flat-four available across the rest of the range in favor of …

Read the rest of the story

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed UltraDork
7/17/20 5:26 a.m.

Nice write up. I like Subaru too. And Lexus. Crossing of the two is not a bad thing.  Might have to check it out.  Now if they would only put a manual and a turbo into the Forester. 

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/17/20 5:47 a.m.

As Subaru has been building CVT transmissions since the Justy, I would hope they would have them "right" by now.

Honestly, I didn't know Subaru was still making a sedan version of the Legacy.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UberDork
7/17/20 9:57 a.m.
Ian F (Forum Supporter) said:

As Subaru has been building CVT transmissions since the Justy, I would hope they would have them "right" by now.

Honestly, I didn't know Subaru was still making a sedan version of the Legacy.

Their CVTs are hot garbage like Nissans IMO. The baby momma has had a 2014 Forester, 2016 Forester XT, and 2019 Crosstrek all with the CVT and they are all trash. The Forester XT had the most issues with low speed bucking that felt like one of those 25 cent space ship rides you used to see outside of convenience stores in the 80s and 90s. Subaru techs would always say "we can't duplicate the issue" or "its just normal Subaru CVT operation." 

Anyways - it's cool to see this big car will no longer be anemic. It's a step closer to a Legacy Wagon we'll never get. 

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE Dork
7/17/20 10:36 a.m.

That 2.4 "world" engine is really getting around, but it's tunes have a wild range- 260 here, but near 300+ in the Ascent.

I second that feeling on Subie CVTs being clunky. They aren't like Nissans where they break routinely but they DO a lot of weird stuff that doesn't feel nice. Mine sends what I can only describe as a "Pulsing vibration" when it's heated up and I've been driving frequently; it starts at the rear and goes into the right rear tire.

Robert Sherman
Robert Sherman New Reader
7/18/20 7:44 p.m.

In reply to Feedyurhed :

You cannot get a manual (I assume you mean 'transmission'

Rodan
Rodan Dork
7/18/20 8:27 p.m.

Almost 16 years ago, we bought an '05 Legacy GT.

At that time, they were as quick as a Boxster, and were a great, affordable option in the AWD sport sedan market.  A real alternative to Audi.  And came with a manual transmission.

15 years later, it has a whopping 10 more hp, no manual (or auto!) trans, and a Camry looks better.

What happened, Subaru?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
e4A25VdGiVxLwLBwZC4SdnxbEGzvUUUpa6AY5MF6Z0W4arR1vZ1Uh1Qq4u7S8Mh2