dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/14/19 1:59 p.m.

I like it. Kind of a Stinger coup. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/14/19 3:20 p.m.
GameboyRMH said:

Pics out:

Well they didn't beat the concept too badly with the ugly stick, it's decent-looking. A set of "lower eyelids" would make it look much more like the concept.

Retail price $50k~$55k depending on options.

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/2020-toyota-supra-detroit-auto-show/

Oh, neat, the new Veilside body kit for the FR-S is out.

tjbell
tjbell Reader
1/14/19 3:22 p.m.
Appleseed said:

/thread.

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE Reader
1/14/19 4:40 p.m.
Appleseed said:
GameboyRMH said:

Well they didn't beat the concept too badly with the ugly stick, it's decent-looking. A set of "lower eyelids" would make it look much more like the concept.

Retail price $50k~$55k depending on options.

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/2020-toyota-supra-detroit-auto-show/

lmao

I really like how it looks. I'm leery about it really being a BMW, but from the history and story of the car it makes decent sense. I just hope there's more Toyota DNA in this then we all think.

slefain
slefain PowerDork
1/14/19 4:42 p.m.

Had they not teased the damn thing for almost a decade, I might care. But the constant stringing along just burned me out.

kazoospec
kazoospec UltraDork
1/14/19 5:04 p.m.

I neither love nor hate it.  It gets a solid "meh" from me.  I have no monies, so I'm sure Toyota could care less about my opinion.

Since this is purely hypothetical money were talking about, if I had $50K+ burning a hole in my pocket, I'd drop it on a Corvette, Camaro or even a juiced up Mustang before I'd spend it on this, but to each their own.  

RX Reven'
RX Reven' GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/14/19 5:57 p.m.

What’s that, they’re bringing the Supra back…fantastic, I’m in the market for a moderately upscale, 2+2 hatchback, daily driver / weekend auto crosser.

50K for two seats rather than 40K for four seats…

[gameshow sad trombone] wamp…wamp…waaaamp [/gameshow sad trombone]

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
1/14/19 6:29 p.m.
pinchvalve said:

Someone took the BMW Z4 roadster and added a bunch of ugly, ill-designed plastic bits to it.  And they slowed it down. Then slapped an iconic name from Toyota's glory days on it. It's ugly from every angle, and the only parts that work are the bits of BMW you can still see.  Not sure what the Z will look like, but if its anything like this, it will be the winner in the looks department. 

That looks amazing.

The Supra makes me think of a Miata, if the Miata had a fastback and someone injected it with a bunch of 'roids.

Also, it appears to have the largest blind spot in the history of cars.

calteg
calteg Dork
1/14/19 7:28 p.m.

I really can't be bothered to care about this thing. How much better is it going to be than a 2007 335i with a tune (which can be had under $10,000, with a manual)? 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
1/14/19 8:12 p.m.

I6?  Interesting 

Rodan
Rodan HalfDork
1/14/19 9:18 p.m.

Carbon
Carbon UltraDork
1/14/19 9:24 p.m.

Sickened by the bmw thing myself (I'm sure that will make the apologists come  out of the woodwork l, but I don't care ). I would have pulled the trigger on one if it was a Toyota and stayed true to the concept. Back to waiting for lc-f I guess. 

carguy123
carguy123 UltimaDork
1/14/19 9:33 p.m.
irish44j said:
pinchvalve said:

Someone took the BMW Z4 roadster and added a bunch of ugly, ill-designed plastic bits to it.  And they slowed it down. Then slapped an iconic name from Toyota's glory days on it. It's ugly from every angle, and the only parts that work are the bits of BMW you can still see.  Not sure what the Z will look like, but if its anything like this, it will be the winner in the looks department. 

That looks amazing.

The Supra makes me think of a Miata, if the Miata had a fastback and someone injected it with a bunch of 'roids.

Also, it appears to have the largest blind spot in the history of cars.

And then multiplied the price by 100

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon HalfDork
1/14/19 9:59 p.m.

Even more sad is that the base 4 cylinder in the supra makes about 10 less horsepower then the 86.

https://jalopnik.com/the-lowest-four-cylinder-2020-toyota-supra-gets-194-hp-1831734785

jrh2009
jrh2009 New Reader
1/15/19 1:41 a.m.

This thing is the next gen z4 coupe with a Toyota badge, right?

I don't know why I don't care much for this. I liked the z4 coupe. I liked the previous Supra.

Maybe it's the obvious badge engineering that kills it for me. I dunno.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
1/15/19 7:31 a.m.
calteg said:

I really can't be bothered to care about this thing. How much better is it going to be than a 2007 335i with a tune (which can be had under $10,000, with a manual)? 

It's not a 12-year old BMW with no warranty? A tune and stickier tires are going to make it a sub-4 sec 0-60 car. 

Did I mention it's not a 12-year old BMW with no warranty and a known problematic N54 engine? 

johndej
johndej HalfDork
1/15/19 9:00 a.m.

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
1/15/19 9:17 a.m.

I like that it's BMW at heart. I have no interest in Toyotas. The parts BMW did is the best parts.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/15/19 11:36 a.m.

I am surprised they kept the BMW engine.

ztnedman1
ztnedman1 New Reader
1/15/19 11:59 a.m.

Don't forget this Z4 coupe is a NASCAR and racecar too.

Basically take whatever you want and slap a Toyota Supra badge on it.  Tada!

This car was for marketing and marketing only.

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
1/15/19 2:08 p.m.

In reply to nderwater :

The shape of the hood/nose threw me off.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
1/16/19 7:40 a.m.

I have to say, this car does nothing for me. frown

Part of the "coolness" of the old Supras was the fact that Toyota was building a world class GT/Sports Car with a smooth, Japanese I6 in an era where people didn't think a Japanese manufacturer could do that. Remember, back then, Japanese cars were not as fondly looked upon as they are now. Best analogy in today's world is probably something like the Kia Stinger: a "lowly" Korean company building a world class sports sedan with a ripping turbocharged drivetrain.

What I (and many enthusiasts wanted) was a return to for: a Japanese-designed Sports GT with that sweet, sweet Japanese I6. Having BMW help out defeats the purpose; it's the antithesis of the point of the Supra's existence. The Supra was supposed to beat BMW's, not BE a BMW!

Also, as others said, just buy a Lexus RC or LC. I know the LC is a lot more than the new Supra, but that's really the Supra's successor. They should have just made a cheaper Toyota version of one of those and slapped the Supra badge on it.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
1/16/19 7:48 a.m.
Nick Comstock said:

I like that it's BMW at heart. I have no interest in Toyotas. The parts BMW did is the best parts.

I'm the opposite. I have no interest in a BMW with a Toyota wrapper. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
1/16/19 8:21 a.m.
Tony Sestito said:

I have to say, this car does nothing for me. frown

Part of the "coolness" of the old Supras was the fact that Toyota was building a world class GT/Sports Car with a smooth, Japanese I6 in an era where people didn't think a Japanese manufacturer could do that.

Toyota has been building DOHC I6s for sports cars since the 60s. 

STM317
STM317 SuperDork
1/16/19 8:31 a.m.

This car seemingly gets the worst characteristics of each parent, while also eliminating the most redeeming quality from Toyota.

New marketing tagline for this car:

"All of the Toyota design and BMW quality/reliability issues that you hate, and none of the Toyota quality that you love and appreciate!"

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
idtNeazf8NdIxQksTheGp4EMEyK1SkBHWRuAwBqBSXiw7JiyZ6OWBOinCz4ZQ1Vl