1 2
Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
7/19/21 2:56 p.m.
feature_image

Just for a minute, let’s put the controversial styling of the BMW M4 (and M3, for that matter) aside and just look at the numbers: 473 horsepower and 406 lb.-ft. of torque from an S58 turbocharged inline-six.

A six-speed manual comes standard, though an eight-speed automatic is available if you opt for the M4 Competition (which will also grant you …

Read the rest of the story

Sidewayze
Sidewayze Reader
7/19/21 10:12 p.m.

Hmmmmmm.   Let's see.   Expensive.  Hideous.  3700lbs.  Big nope. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
7/20/21 6:04 a.m.
Colin Wood said:

Just for a minute, let’s put the controversial styling of the BMW M4 (and M3, for that matter) aside

Trying... trying... Nope, sorry, can't do it.

I saw a new non-M 4-series, and even they're getting the Death Schnoz now.

I loved my E46 for 12 years but BMW is totally irrelevant to me at this point.

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
7/20/21 6:26 a.m.

That's hideous, even without the mashed-pea color. Is Chris Bangle back as head of design?

Duke
Duke MegaDork
7/20/21 6:33 a.m.

In reply to ddavidv :

Maybe it was designed by this guy:

Barb_Dwyer
Barb_Dwyer New Reader
7/20/21 6:54 a.m.

In reply to Duke :

LOL XD

Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter)
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
7/20/21 7:17 a.m.
Duke said:

In reply to ddavidv :

Maybe it was designed by this guy:

Time to go look for one in RED

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/20/21 7:40 a.m.

I saw one of these in white the other day. Changing the color of the car doesn't fix how hideous that front end is.  I know, "when you're in the driver's seat, you don't have to look at the exterior..." but still... wow. 

At least it's still available with a manual transmission. Kudos to BMW for that.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/20/21 10:42 a.m.

There's a black on in the parking lot at work. Yeah....that frontend is ugly lol. 

I love the color-scheme of those seat though.

350z247
350z247 Reader
7/20/21 10:54 a.m.

Here come all the whiny "but it's so ugly" people. Sigh. Even if that mattered (which is doesn't; I've seen some of the track cars y'all drive), changing a bumper out takes like an hour and would be a nominal cost if you could actually afford one.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/20/21 11:10 a.m.

Okay, let's forget the styling. This pig and its M3 brother weigh more than a Lexus SC400.

350z247
350z247 Reader
7/20/21 1:32 p.m.

In reply to maschinenbau :

It weighs 250lbs less than an E39 M5 but has the same dimensions. That's impressive. Cars either stay the same or get bigger; smaller is just not an option especially in the luxury market.

Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter)
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/20/21 2:30 p.m.

I hate to be that guy, but the Mustang GT has similar performance, size, economy, power, weight etc.  Some fractionally better, some fractionally worse.  But disregarding the price difference the Mustang still doesn't look like an over size Pug that's run into the back of a bus.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
7/20/21 2:40 p.m.

I get the Mustang comparison, but....

Why buy an M3 when you can get a Tesla Model 3 Performance for similar money?

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/20/21 2:46 p.m.
350z247 said:

Here come all the whiny "but it's so ugly" people. Sigh. Even if that mattered (which is doesn't; I've seen some of the track cars y'all drive), changing a bumper out takes like an hour and would be a nominal cost if you could actually afford one.

Guess I'm just not rich enough to ignore the fact that BMW screwed the pooch with this design. 

Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter)
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/20/21 2:54 p.m.
Tom Suddard said:

That's easy.  Driving pleasure and engagement.  Much as the M3/4 is ugly as sin, I assume it's at least fun to drive.  Tesla make outstanding appliances, but lousy cars.  Sure, they may be fast around cones, but they are horrible to drive.

calteg
calteg Dork
7/20/21 2:55 p.m.

Base price vs base price, a model 3 performance is almost $20,000 cheaper than the BMW

fearlesfil
fearlesfil New Reader
7/20/21 5:34 p.m.

Everyday Driver just did an hour comparison with the Mustang Mach I with magneto rheological shocks etc. Came out a tie 1:1 between their reviewers. Both hated the M4 grill. Note the GT350 has had 526 HP since six years ago...

350z247
350z247 Reader
7/20/21 8:52 p.m.

In reply to Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) :

I would never buy a Mustang GT just because of their garbage manual transmission. I would have to pony up (pun intended) to the Mach 1. Then again, I'd rather just buy a lightly used GT350 for thousands less.

300zxfreak
300zxfreak Reader
7/21/21 8:56 a.m.

I've beat on this dead horse many, many times before, but all auto designers must be on acid these days. I want/need a car I can sit back, pop a cold one, and stare at in the garage and think "all is right with the world".

The current crop of hideous, distorted, non-proportional front ends ( and some rears as well )make me want to toss my cookies on my nice clean garage floor.

In other words, I wouldn't be caught driving one of these abominations if they gave it to me free of charge. 

I sincerely hope that no one is brainless enough to purchase one of these, and we make BMW take it to the crusher where it belongs.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
7/21/21 11:14 a.m.

In reply to 300zxfreak :

What auto designers are high on these days is vast piles of Chinese new money.  Western luxury brand recognition is everything to the rich, bougie Chinese business types who are currently reveling in the quiet de facto fall of communism.  The way to cater to that market is to make the brand image recognizable from space.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/21/21 1:21 p.m.

Some cars you park nose out. Some cars you park nose in. This is one of the latter.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/21/21 1:29 p.m.

I saw an Aston Martin Vantage in Waco this past weekend, there's still some great new designs happening. What a gorgeous car. 

Jah29
Jah29 GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/21/21 1:37 p.m.
fearlesfil said:

Everyday Driver just did an hour comparison with the Mustang Mach I with magneto rheological shocks etc. Came out a tie 1:1 between their reviewers. Both hated the M4 grill. Note the GT350 has had 526 HP since six years ago...

Can't find this on youtube.  Is it somewhere special?

AaronT
AaronT Reader
7/21/21 3:26 p.m.
300zxfreak said:

I've beat on this dead horse many, many times before, but all auto designers must be on acid these days. I want/need a car I can sit back, pop a cold one, and stare at in the garage and think "all is right with the world".

The current crop of hideous, distorted, non-proportional front ends ( and some rears as well )make me want to toss my cookies on my nice clean garage floor.

In other words, I wouldn't be caught driving one of these abominations if they gave it to me free of charge. 

I sincerely hope that no one is brainless enough to purchase one of these, and we make BMW take it to the crusher where it belongs.

At least we know you've never dropped acid before. 

No one who has ever drop acid would look at this car and think it was the result of designers tripping.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PQ5ZZVE8Lo3PbAC3pByH0GiA2f52xSNBxPOYJPMoQRz7YRZ4y7PrPE7sxT0GrXoQ