Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
9/30/21 3:31 p.m.
feature_image

Until the new all-electric F-150 Lighting comes out, we'll have to settle for driving the electrified–as in, hybrid–version of the F-150, better known as the "PowerBoost."

But when there is 430 horsepower and 570 lb.-ft. of torque available on tap, is it even really settling?

Even more interesting is that, according to the spec sheet, the 3.5-liter, turbocharged V6 PowerBoost engine has …

Read the rest of the story

06HHR (Forum Supporter)
06HHR (Forum Supporter) Dork
9/30/21 3:46 p.m.

I really wish GM would stick with things sometimes.  Remember this back in 2010?  Not as much horsepower but the fuel economy specs are similar to Ford's hybrid.  But gas was cheap back then, so they sold like things that don't sell very well.

https://media.chevrolet.com/media/us/en/chevrolet/vehicles/silveradohybrid/2010.tab1.html

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
9/30/21 3:47 p.m.

I'm very interested in the 110V output on these.  Did you get to play with that feature at all?  Seems like it'd be useful as a generator during power outages.  Kind of like how some people have rigged inverters to Priuses.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/30/21 5:44 p.m.
06HHR (Forum Supporter) said:

I really wish GM would stick with things sometimes.  Remember this back in 2010?  Not as much horsepower but the fuel economy specs are similar to Ford's hybrid.  But gas was cheap back then, so they sold like things that don't sell very well.

https://media.chevrolet.com/media/us/en/chevrolet/vehicles/silveradohybrid/2010.tab1.html

Fuel was like $4-5/gallon only two years earlier, proof that consumers have the memory of a goldfish.

CyberEric
CyberEric Dork
9/30/21 6:37 p.m.

I believe it's possible thinking has changed on hybrid trucks since 2010. Back then, hybrids were for... well, people who don't drive trucks.

Nowadays, the fastest most powerful cars in the world are either hybrid or EVs. The image is a bit different. But I imagine there are still folks who won't consider a hybrid truck.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
9/30/21 7:04 p.m.

If GM made a big deal of an BEV Truck back then, probably a hybrid would run off of that hype- that's very much what is happening now.

But the potential market for BEV's is incredibly different now than a decade ago,  which boosts the market for hybrids, too.

For me, it would be awesome if the hybrid truck that can tow moves down to smaller trucks.

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/30/21 8:35 p.m.
eastsideTim said:

I'm very interested in the 110V output on these.  Did you get to play with that feature at all?  Seems like it'd be useful as a generator during power outages.  Kind of like how some people have rigged inverters to Priuses.

Ford dealers were loaning them out to folks in Texas last winter when they had widespread outages, for that very purpose. Nice gesture, but also really good advertising.

Patientzero
Patientzero Dork
10/1/21 1:13 a.m.

My 2021 Ram has the 5.7 with eTorque.  All the power you'd ever want but the fuel economy numbers are pretty optimistic.  The real world fuel economy is IDENTICAL to my previous 2010 F150 with the 5.4L 3 valve.  I don't know if that is a slam against Ram or kudos to Ford, lol.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/1/21 4:58 a.m.

In reply to Patientzero :

The Dodge truck system is pretty pathetic, it's an electric motor that assists in turning the engine.  So it adds assist at light load, which is exactly when an engine is at its least efficient... so the motor helps the engine to stay in its region of least efficiency.

They'd probably have had better results with a stop/start system and all electric accessories so the engine wouldn't need to restart for A/C or heat.

Toyota did a lot of funny tricks to make the Prius engine more efficient at part load, at the expense of wide open throttle power.  (Mostly the massively higher compression ratio)  IIRC the hybrid engine used in the Dodge and GM hybrid trucks is just a normal non-hybrid engine.

Patientzero
Patientzero Dork
10/1/21 5:00 a.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

It also has stop/start but it doesn't help much on the highway and is disabled in tow/haul mode.  I can't replicate the claimed city mileage with highway driving.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
10/1/21 9:15 a.m.
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) said:
eastsideTim said:

Ford dealers were loaning them out to folks in Texas last winter when they had widespread outages, for that very purpose. Nice gesture, but also really good advertising.

Cool!  I was also thinking it'd be nice if Ford would offer the hybrid package on a full size Transit.  RV conversions could be built without a separate generator.

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/1/21 9:17 a.m.
eastsideTim said:

Cool!  I was also thinking it'd be nice if Ford would offer the hybrid package on a full size Transit.  RV conversions could be built without a separate generator.

I was hoping it would show up on the 2022 Expedition, but alas...

Gimp (Forum Supporter)
Gimp (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/1/21 10:06 a.m.

I have one of these on order and I can't wait.

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
10/1/21 10:12 a.m.

I'm not one for trucks–though the new Maverick and Santa Cruz do look enticing to me–but a hybrid pickup truck looks like it makes a ton of sense, especially when you can get such respectable power numbers and still get normal-ish mpg.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
10/1/21 11:02 a.m.
eastsideTim said:
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) said:
eastsideTim said:

That would require the RV converters ask for that.  And pay for it.  If it was desired, then it would be more likely to be delivered.  But what I know of the market, cost is more important than features.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
10/1/21 12:05 p.m.

In reply to alfadriver :

I suspect work van customers would be a more viable market overall.  Class B RV upfitters could just ride their coattails.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
10/1/21 12:50 p.m.

In reply to eastsideTim :

But if they really wanted it, they would inform us, and it would be built.   It's pretty easy money.  The funny thing is that we make a lot of money on bare chassis vehicles, but the penny pinching is pretty significant.  RV's buy a lot of bare chassis vehicles.  

In terms of work trucks, those are far more likely to be pick ups than vans.  Especially the ones that would benefit from an on board generator.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
10/1/21 12:58 p.m.
alfadriver said:

But if they really wanted it, they would inform us, and it would be built.   It's pretty easy money.  The funny thing is that we make a lot of money on bare chassis vehicles, but the penny pinching is pretty significant.  RV's buy a lot of bare chassis vehicles.  

In terms of work trucks, those are far more likely to be pick ups than vans.  Especially the ones that would benefit from an on board generator.

Makes sense.  I had been thinking about the class B market, where buyers seem to be willing to spend more despite the smaller size, and tend to put more miles on their vehicles.  The potential for a little extra room (or better mileage) would be a good selling point, but the market is not very big.  I agree the class C builders who buy the chassis cabs are cheap enough they wouldn't see a point to going hybrid/built in generator.  If they are determining where the market goes, it won't happen.

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro Dork
10/1/21 3:21 p.m.
06HHR (Forum Supporter) said:

I test drove one of the Silverado hybrids when I was looking at trucks back in February. It drove nicely and the hybrid system worked well. But it was a lower trim work truck with okay seats and not many amenities. It was priced higher than the '13 Ram 1500 I ended up with and had a lower tow rating. I think it was 6K while the Ram is 8800 lbs. 

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
10/1/21 3:42 p.m.

You know, over time, perhaps owners will think about getting a hybrid, when you can get a 400hp engine to drive the vehicle.  Which is exactly what they have now.  There's a strong RV movement to become full electric- no propane- so having a hybrid would be a perfect fit.  One can surely hope, that's for sure!

Opti
Opti Dork
10/1/21 9:27 p.m.

I saw a surprising amount of very expensive hybrid problems in the hybrid GM trucks. For a truck doing truck things I'd prefer ICE/all electric/hybrid in that order.

Simplicity makes for a good truck

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4CzJWNX72uRci5M3GVMJuTu6kydMAw24sNvQEvCVazB58kxgg2EqcBggQlTzBaf8