Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
1/6/21 9:43 a.m.
feature_image

More often than not, three-row SUVs are the sort of thing people buy when they should get a minivan, but for some reason or another—usually something to do with ego and not wanting to be seen in one—don't buy a minivan.

Does that mean that all three-row SUVs should be cast aside? Perhaps not, if the Kia Telluride is anything …

Read the rest of the story

Colin Wood
1/6/21 11:52 a.m.

I'm only a little sad I didn't get to drive this, as it's on my shortlist of potential family haulers now that I have a kid in tow.

Sure, we only have the one kid for now and she's only a little over a month old, but who knows, maybe she'll have lots of friends someday (that will occasionally require three rows of seating).

iceracer
iceracer MegaDork
1/6/21 5:47 p.m.

What is the "smart" position on the drive selector ?

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
1/6/21 6:17 p.m.

In reply to iceracer :

Donno, not eligible to click it.

Vigo (Forum Supporter)
Vigo (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/7/21 1:44 a.m.

The Telluride is a knockout product. As far as minivans, part of the reason the Telluride is so good is because it's among the most minivan-ish of 3-rows!

mtn (Forum Supporter)
mtn (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/7/21 7:49 a.m.

This is one of four family hauler* SUVs that I really like - the others being Suburban, which is an entirely different animal, the Cayenne, which is $$$$, and the Rivian RS1 - which is $$$$ and not out yet. That is damn good company to be included in, even for a random internet posters musings. Probably the best looking new vehicle out there today. I'm amazed at how much better this one looks than the Palisade, too.

All that being said, I look at that picture with the cargo loaded, and I'm grateful that we went with the Sedona (not that the Telluride was released yet). With the car seat, Great Pyrenees, and my wife's inability to pack light, there just isn't enough space there. Still a good chance that a Telluride replaces the van in a few years, especially if there ends up being a hybrid or electric version.

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
1/7/21 8:20 a.m.

In reply to mtn (Forum Supporter) :

Ditto that.  Stepping up from a crossover to a Sedona minivan was an enormous upgrade in practicality.  The extra utility comes in handy all the time.

Colin Wood
1/7/21 9:43 a.m.

In reply to iceracer :

I was hoping to find a more in-depth explanation, but I did find this from the press release:

• Choice of four drive modes – Smart, Eco, Sport and Comfort – each using different settings for powertrain, drivetrain, and steering effort mapping to provide the desired driving experience.  In addition to the four regular drive modes, drivers can select from two different settings, Snow and AWD Lock, for specific driving conditions. 
  • Available active on-demand all-wheel drivehelps provide enhanced driving performance by actively distributing torque between front and rear wheels depending on road conditions and driver input. The system utilizes electro-hydraulic AWD coupling to precisely activate the multi-plate clutch plate, constantly redistributing the amount of power transferred to the front and rear wheels. During normal driving, power is distributed according to the drive mode selected. “Eco” and “Smart” modes deliver 100 percent power to the front wheels. “Comfort” and “Snow” modes deliver 80 percent power to the front wheels and 20 percent to rear. Sport mode splits the power 65-35 percent between front and back. “Lock” mode delivers power evenly to all four wheels
Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/7/21 11:22 a.m.
iceracer said:

What is the "smart" position on the drive selector ?

I would assume that lets the car decide for itself which of those modes it should use.

Boost_Crazy
Boost_Crazy HalfDork
1/7/21 4:44 p.m.

We bought a Telluride for my wife at the end of 2019, so we’ve had it for just over a year. Still love it, it has been an excellent vehicle. It wasn’t even on our list when we were shopping for a three row SUV. Didn’t think to check with Kia, we stumbled across is and were shocked at how good it was. We were waiting for the then new Explorer to come out, but the Kia was better in every way that mattered to us, and an Explorer would cost at least $10k more to get is close in features. 

It is definitely the closest of the SUV’s to a minivan in room and comfort, but it’s still no minivan. This replaced out ‘14 Sienna. I’d does get much better real world mileage though, which is surprising. My wife is horrible with gas mileage, usually well below the ratings in everything she drives. She’s averaging 23MPG in the Telluride, averaged 18MPG in the Sienna. 

Jesse Ransom (FFS)
Jesse Ransom (FFS) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/7/21 4:59 p.m.

Despite myself, I think these look really sharp.

Sort of kicked off this train of thought that SUVs have been getting on far enough in their transition from "pretend adventure mobile" to "tall wagon" that in combination with a recent trend toward sort of architectural shapes, they remind me a little of early-20th-century luxury vehicles, back when that meant "expensive enough to be generally better" in styling, construction, size, capability...

I'd still rather have a car, but given that modern engineering has given us small living rooms that move smartly, maybe it's okay. I'll take mine with oak trim, please.

iceracer
iceracer MegaDork
1/8/21 6:26 p.m.

In reply to Colin Wood :

Looks like ECO and SMART are FWD  only

Vigo (Forum Supporter)
Vigo (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/8/21 10:17 p.m.

We were waiting for the then new Explorer to come out, but the Kia was better in every way that mattered to us, and an Explorer would cost at least $10k more to get is close in features. 

The Explorer honestly looks like an also ran in the current field despite being brand new. Good thing the Explorer didn't come out before the Telluride or you may never have realized what you were missing!   

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9KqWbOGD5Wqfn9AlUsUz5FwD4KBjQ9xfOIToKsQDG8EhVLLSltfetqyPgtxl4oiS