Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
9/12/22 11:57 a.m.
feature_image

The return of the compact, unibody pickup? Ford’s entry into that scene is the Maverick. We sampled a hybrid Lariat model over the course of a 1000-mile road trip. Is this the glorious return of the minitruck, or just another reason to buy an F-150?

Read the rest of the story

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
9/12/22 12:04 p.m.

Looks like the only negative thing to be said of the Maverick is availability–which seems like a not-too-terrible problem to have as a car maker.

sir_mike
sir_mike Reader
9/12/22 1:00 p.m.

OK why name it after a car you once marketed??

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
9/12/22 1:07 p.m.

So Tom, which trim level are you after? 

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/12/22 1:54 p.m.

In reply to sir_mike :

So they don't have to spend millions to research, trademark, and defend a new name. They already own Maverick so they can do what they want at no cost to them. 

MarveH
MarveH
9/12/22 2:15 p.m.

My wife and I will be ordering a Maverick as soon as the orders reopen. We are replacing our last 50MPG Ford, our 2016 3 cylinder Ecoboost Fiesta that was taken out by 2 suicidal deer. The huge downside is the Fiesta had a manual and in the Maverick we have to down grade to an auto box.

We, however, are ordering the base model with zero options except a trailer hitch. I never saw the point in making a cheap car expensive and if I have air conditioning that's all the luxury I'll ever need. Every review I see of the Maverick they compare it to a truck but I think many people will cross shop it with a Golf, Elantra, or Sentra. This is the truck for people who might have never considered owning a truck.

John Prieve
John Prieve New Reader
9/12/22 3:04 p.m.

Too bad the hybrid has a CVT and can only tow 2000 lbs.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
9/13/22 12:41 p.m.

In reply to MarveH :

That's a good point. Is the (new) Maverick an Elantra or whatever with a really big trunk? 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
9/14/22 2:00 p.m.

Also, very eager to drive one. 

The Ford booth at the Tampa Auto Show had a white XL AWD Ecoboost on display. This was the first Maverick that I was able to crawl all over. I really liked the size. Its not a very tall vehicle but had plenty of headroom for my chunky 5'10" frame. I'm also very interested to see how they drive, especially the hybrid.

Kendall Frederick
Kendall Frederick GRM+ Memberand New Reader
9/14/22 3:10 p.m.

I went to the Ford dealer today and got in line to order one (2023 orders aren't open yet, supposed to be next week or so..).  We're getting a basic hybrid with the only options a receiver hitch, a sliding rear window, and the power inverter.  I'm going to replace a Prius and my old 1980 C10 truck with this; I have basically been using my Priuses (Prii?) for trucks and towing a trailer for years, this is the natural next step.

malibuguy
malibuguy GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/14/22 4:52 p.m.

I almost bit the bullet...but I just cannot bring myself to buy a modern domestic, especially a Ford.

I love it, I love the execution of it.  It would suit my truck needs well which is 98% programmed and based around my dads Elco, that I use to haul motors and E36 M3 around.  I have an 88 2wd Toyota that whenever I get around to removing the junk 22R, will kind of take place of the Elco, but it has to have similar flavor.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
9/14/22 5:09 p.m.

Idk, does brand really mean anything anymore? Mavericks are built in Mexico, Honda Pilots are built in Alabama, and both are sold and serviced by horrible franchises that are designed to take advantage of you every step of the way. I figure if I'm going to have a miserable experience no matter what buying a new car, the badge on the front doesn't mean much. 

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
9/14/22 8:21 p.m.

In reply to Tom Suddard :

I feel this in my soul.
Every manufacturer has its ups and downs. Some more than others but yeah none are perfect. 

mechanicalmeanderings
mechanicalmeanderings New Reader
9/14/22 8:55 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

In reply to MarveH :

That's a good point. Is the (new) Maverick an Elantra or whatever with a really big trunk? 

I often refer to my F250 as an 8500 pound sports car with a large trunk!

vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/14/22 9:17 p.m.
mechanicalmeanderings said:
David S. Wallens said:

In reply to MarveH :

I often refer to my F250 as an 8500 pound sports car with a large trunk!

I refer to my 75 Stingray as the best looking Chevy truck ever built!

David Elfering
David Elfering GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/10/22 8:16 p.m.

Good economy, reasonable value if you wait for the build, and is not terrible to drive. That's a decent recipe, and I appreciate your thoughts about it since I wondered about it as part of the family garage. 

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
12/10/22 10:37 p.m.

So, I happened across this...

Eibach and H&R both have lowering springs. A few companies with rear bar options.

Then you have vorschlag working on coilovers .. https://www.vorshlag.com/forums/forum/vorshlag-motorsports-discussions/vorshlag-project-cars/59103-vorshlag-2022-ford-maverick-smol-truck-development-thread

I wonder if one can get classed for SCCA Solo (rollover rating) would be interesting to have my tow vehicle be a valid backup in case of a mechanical failure.

GCrites80s
GCrites80s Dork
12/12/22 8:41 p.m.

I think CAM-C could work as it's kind of a dumping ground for domestic trucks that aren't taller than they are wide if I remember right.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lfAXvoJrTz9emwaHeuFAKzwXkjH03GIXh1w0tR2yfpLBaSWi5xBkvjwSPHfU8q31