1 2 3 4
calteg
calteg Dork
10/21/21 1:39 p.m.

Just saw the EPA estimate of 37mpg highway. That's wild, but within the realm of reason for a 1.5L

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/21/21 1:48 p.m.

In reply to calteg :

It's not the engine size, it's the chassis shape and size.  It will always take a certain amount of fuel to make the power to punch a hole in a 60mph headwind.

ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter)
ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
10/21/21 2:29 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

The best internal combustion engines are only around 20% thermal efficiency.  Aero makes a big difference but the engineers have gained, and will continue to gain, a lot on the actual motor efficiency side of the equation too.

Snrub
Snrub Dork
10/21/21 2:37 p.m.

The engine in the Corolla has 41% thermal efficiency.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/21/21 4:25 p.m.

...and engine size is not super critical, except insofar as where it is in the BSFC curve at the required torque output for that speed.

Someone was telling me that a lot of engines have compression ratios 1-2 numbers higher than what is ideal for the rest of the engine with respect to making peak power, because it is more important to bring up efficiency when the engine is running at 5-10% throttle.

gbuff
gbuff GRM+ Memberand New Reader
8/26/22 8:01 p.m.

If the rear seats fold down and I can get 4 track tires in there I'd seriously consider it.  After driving a 120 hp Mini for years this would feel like a rocket.

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/27/22 10:11 p.m.
gbuff said:

If the rear seats fold down and I can get 4 track tires in there I'd seriously consider it.  After driving a 120 hp Mini for years this would feel like a rocket.

The rear seat in my 10th gen folds down. I'd imagine the new ones are the same. On my longer slower commute, Im getting 42-43 mpg too.  

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
73XumgAUuUuvGMimbKdMfuL0AD6pZ3p5FVk1fuhPvP1216CN1dNTjh1DRjpkFEBs