1 2 3
z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
11/18/20 10:56 a.m.

In reply to Vigo (Forum Supporter) :

Power peak is still 7k. Tq peak is much lower and higher, so it should have a fairly flat power delivery. 

gunner (Forum Supporter)
gunner (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/18/20 11:20 a.m.

I just watched the Scott Speed review from Subaru and based on what he said about the torque dip(that it was mentioned at all) of the gen 1 vs the new BRZ, I'm going to say its been eliminated.

Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HK5A7kOg3m0

turtl631
turtl631 HalfDork
11/18/20 11:22 a.m.

I'm honestly surprised they're making another generation. I knew the rumors that it was going to be turbocharged were false, too good to be true. I don't love the styling but the increased displacement will hopefully make for a nice experience.  

parker
parker Reader
11/18/20 11:28 a.m.
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) said:

I'd love it, if I didn't loathe subaru pancake motors. On E85 making north of 250hp with 245 width tires, it'd be the easy button except something stupid and costly will break every 60k. 

95,000 miles on my 2015 FR-S.  Nothing has broken.  All I've done is oil changes and sparkplugs at 60,000 which I did myself in about an hour.

Slippery (Forum Supporter)
Slippery (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/18/20 11:28 a.m.

Torque is at 3700 vs 6400. Should be a huge improvement. 

My oldest is 13, hopefully by the time he gets his license in 3 years we can pick up a used one of them. 

Hoondavan
Hoondavan HalfDork
11/18/20 11:43 a.m.

If a redesign helps create more used cars at lower prices, I'm all for it.  I certainly wonder if this car would have been more fun with a high-revving toyota inline-4.  Better yet, include Yamaha in the design/tuning.

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) PowerDork
11/18/20 11:47 a.m.

13.5:1 compression!  I assume 91 octane is required?

I like the looks.  Seems like nice evolution of the previous car. 

bmw88rider (Forum Supporter)
bmw88rider (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/18/20 11:53 a.m.

Was really hoping for the turbo but knew it wasn't coming. At the altitudes I drive at most of the time (6500'+) NA is just not really much fun.  Oh well. I wasn't planning on buying one anyways. 

spacecadet (Forum Supporter)
spacecadet (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/18/20 11:56 a.m.
pres589 (djronnebaum) said:

13.5:1 compression!  I assume 91 octane is required?

I like the looks.  Seems like nice evolution of the previous car. 

it was required on the old one too..

spacecadet (Forum Supporter)
spacecadet (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/18/20 11:57 a.m.

with what i'm hearing about the power curve, it may now actually be faster than the ND2...

interesting.. so i guess C street may be making a move to the twins in 2022...

Furious_E (Forum Supporter)
Furious_E (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/18/20 11:59 a.m.
parker said:
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) said:

I'd love it, if I didn't loathe subaru pancake motors. On E85 making north of 250hp with 245 width tires, it'd be the easy button except something stupid and costly will break every 60k. 

95,000 miles on my 2015 FR-S.  Nothing has broken.  All I've done is oil changes and sparkplugs at 60,000 which I did myself in about an hour.

I'm right around 95k on mine as well, other than a throw out bearing (known issue) earlier this year it's been nothing but routine maintenance. 

11/18/20 12:16 p.m.

I like everything I'm hearing here. More grunt down low, same weight, better traction/stability control - that's pretty much all I'd hoped for in the new model. Sounds like they actually listened to feedback from current owners and addressed all of the major complaints.

I'm with Spandak on the power, with better low end torque it should be about perfect for a street car. Hell, even the current iteration is perfectly ok in that department. Enough to not get run over merging on the highway, but not so much my license is in jeopardy every time I go WOT on the street. If you feel like you need more than that, then this probably just isn't the car you're looking for. 

The styling, though, is a significant downgrade, IMHO. I think the old car looks better from every angle. 

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
11/18/20 12:33 p.m.

In reply to parker :

I would like to know how you did plugs on this car in under a day. Not much room between the frame and the engine. Do you have a telescoping extension for the ratchet? Toyota wants about $600 to do the job.

Dave M (Forum Supporter)
Dave M (Forum Supporter) Dork
11/18/20 12:36 p.m.

No torque dip, and basically no increase in weight.

Weight: Pwr better than a ND2, despite weighing 500 lbs more.

Seems like pretty much everything people asked for! 

Slippery (Forum Supporter)
Slippery (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/18/20 12:42 p.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

These guys seem to agree an hour is doable:

Sparkplug diy

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/18/20 12:45 p.m.
Vigo (Forum Supporter) said:

Count me in the 'glad this exists + they improved on several points' camp.  I think for me the big lingering question is the shape of the powerband. Does it rev to 7? I actually thought the 'range' of the old engine was good and while it wasn't particularly powerful, i agree with mtn that for me when i drove one it wasn't as much that it was too slow as it was that the engine was too boring in its power delivery. I just hope this motor doesn't go too far the other way and end the party at 6200 rpm. 

Kinda this.  Then again, I'm one of the weirdos who preferred the EJ22 over the 2.5RS engine because the 2.2 felt really flexible, while the 2.5 was technically more powerful it felt like the fun started late and ended early.

dps214
dps214 HalfDork
11/18/20 12:56 p.m.

The dyno plot on the dash makes it look pretty good. And considering they were brave enough to do the same with publishing the original car's abomination of a torque curve, I doubt they're lying with that. A well executed n/a powerband is awesome, and a torque number that at least rounds up to 200 is probably enough to accomplish that.

AaronT
AaronT Reader
11/18/20 1:33 p.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

I asked Jeremy if that car was still for sale about a week after you bought it.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
11/18/20 1:33 p.m.
Slippery (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to NOHOME :

These guys seem to agree an hour is doable:

Sparkplug diy

I would be in the 4 hour camp as a first timer and would never get faster because I would not have the car long enough for a second go round!  I have visions of getting tooling stuck like I have done with ratchet wrenches when backing off bolts between parallel surfaces.

By the way as a How to DIY, that is a great write-up.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
11/18/20 1:35 p.m.
AaronT said:

In reply to z31maniac :

I asked Jeremy if that car was still for sale about a week after you bought it.

My vehicles are always for sale. If you're still interested let me know. 

I've literally only put about 500 miles on it since it was delivered to me. 

11/18/20 2:21 p.m.
NOHOME said:

In reply to parker :

I would like to know how you did plugs on this car in under a day. Not much room between the frame and the engine. Do you have a telescoping extension for the ratchet? Toyota wants about $600 to do the job.

Unbolt one engine mount at a time and jack that side up. IIRC, wasn't even necessary on the passenger side. I fought with the coil packs for like two hours before I smartened up and tried that trick, then I was done in like 20 minutes. 

parker
parker Reader
11/18/20 8:01 p.m.
NOHOME said:

In reply to parker :

Yep, unbolt engine mount and jack up.  Not as easy as an inline four with plugs on the top, but not nearly as bad as people make it seem.  I didn't remove the strut bar (don't know why you would) or undo any wires or hoses.  There is enough play to raise the engine a couple of inches.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
11/18/20 8:46 p.m.

Honestly this is a pretty enticing car.  The 1g has been on my watchlist for a second car should I ever go the toy car route again.  This is even better.

Concerns:

1) its still has a subaru engine, only this is unproven.

That's it really.  Its got a real AP2 hardtop vibe from the specs.  I only wish these could work as a primary car.

Durty
Durty Reader
11/19/20 12:54 a.m.

I just got my '17 performance pack with header and tune and I'm having a blast. 

I would like to see the sales numbers go way up so we can have lots of used examples for cheap track cars like we have miatas laying around. 

I like the new styling, but I'm bummed about the lack of factory turbo.

ultraclyde (Forum Supporter)
ultraclyde (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
11/19/20 4:52 a.m.

I like the look, and I liked the 1st gens too. I always thought that if I was in the market these would be a serious contender, but coming from Mustangs I would acutely feel the lack of power. I suspect this update would solve that given  the low rpm torque improvement. 

not that I'm in the market  

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xEIBWa7PsXUPeYHUQHlDo1FOnFXRmN0gTF5CrHUsoQCaT2yXfA2ZZUt53G7qq83f