11/18/20 8:15 a.m.
MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/18/20 8:15 a.m.

going to depend massivly on price

dps214
dps214 HalfDork
11/18/20 8:21 a.m.

I mean, I guess you could call that porsche styling...but it's everything that's wrong with current porsche styling.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
11/18/20 8:26 a.m.

Is it just me, or do the doors/windows/roof/quarter panels look like this shares some structure with the original?

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
11/18/20 8:26 a.m.

You say Porsche styling like that's a good thing.  

NickD
NickD UltimaDork
11/18/20 8:28 a.m.

I see more Ferrari styling than Porsche styling. But the bad Ferrari styling. The front looks like a 612 Scaglietti to me. You know, the GT that even Ferarri forgot about. The back looks like an Aston Martin though. 

docwyte
docwyte UberDork
11/18/20 8:28 a.m.

So barely any more power.  Meh.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
11/18/20 8:40 a.m.
docwyte said:

230 vs 200, 184 vs 151 tq

If the weight is relatively the same and the tuners unlock the same kind of power as before, it will be more than enough. With the FA20, header, E85, tune was worth ~20-30 whp. If we can get the same gains out of the new engine, you're talking about a revvy ~260hp H4........I think it will do nicely. My only complaint about my '15 BRZ was the torque dip right in the middle of the rev range, if you kept it on boil, it moved well.

I'm not sold on the front end yet, but I like the rest of it. I'll be curious to see what the GT86 front bumper looks like.

mtn (Forum Supporter)
mtn (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
11/18/20 8:40 a.m.

I'll need to see how it feels. I've driven them 3, maybe 4 times, and the frisbee has always felt underpowered to me. And it isn't the power, but something about the delivery of the power - too linear. Hopefully this fixes it.

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/18/20 8:41 a.m.

I like it.  

I hope it drives/feels like a BRZ with 15% more power.  

NickD
NickD UltimaDork
11/18/20 8:45 a.m.
z31maniac said:
docwyte said:

230 vs 200, 184 vs 151 tq

If the weight is relatively the same and the tuners unlock the same kind of power as before, it will be more than enough.

Supposedly it's only 17 pounds heavier than the outgoing model. It also has front end structural rigidity increased by 60% and overall chassis rigidity increased by 50%, and somehow an even lower center of gravity.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
11/18/20 8:47 a.m.
nocones said:

I like it.  

I'm sure it will, it's basically the same car underneath. 

In reply to NickD: 

Yeah, I just saw that in a different story, it wasn't mentioned in the reveal video. That's very promising. Now put a decent stereo in it stock.............anyone want to buy the NC? 

bluej (Forum Supporter)
bluej (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
11/18/20 9:40 a.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

Tell me more about the NC..

I like the looks better on this newer generation.

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/18/20 9:43 a.m.

I'd love it, if I didn't loathe subaru pancake motors. On E85 making north of 250hp with 245 width tires, it'd be the easy button except something stupid and costly will break every 60k. 

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
11/18/20 9:47 a.m.
nocones said:

I'd hoped it drives/feels like a BRZ with 50% more power, lol.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
11/18/20 10:19 a.m.
bluej (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to z31maniac :

Tell me more about the NC..

I like the looks better on this newer generation.

It's the 2006 I bought from Jeremy this year. Intake, header, full exhaust, custom tune on 93 octane. Big front bar, MCS remote double-adjustables, MX-5 cup 2-piece front disks, Flyin' Miata aluminum coolant reservoir with fresh coolant flush. CCP hardtop with seals and lexan rear window.

17x8 Konig wheels with mismatched all-seasons. 75k miles. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
11/18/20 10:20 a.m.

I have had the stickers removed and the car polished/detailed over the summer.

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
11/18/20 10:20 a.m.

Works for me.

spandak
spandak HalfDork
11/18/20 10:23 a.m.

I like it so far, that's the perfect amount of power for a daily around here 

Oof, a lot of glass half empty comments happening around here. Fair enough but I think we should be happy they're building this at all. There's not much left in this category for us grumpy AF enthusiasts.

edit: I'm glad it's not a turbo. We have truly lost our appreciation for engines with response and character. I had a turbo car and it was annoying. "Power please"....one potato....two potato....

Maybe I'm just a scalpel person. Hammers are fun but bigger is better until it's not. I think we crossed that line ages ago. 

dps214
dps214 HalfDork
11/18/20 10:35 a.m.

The more I look at it the front end gets more tolerable but the rear gets worse. The performance upgrades seem good though. I'm impressed that they actually upped the displacement, it's interesting that the specific outputs are slightly lower even with the almost full point bump in compression. I'd think that means that tuning should be able to gain as much as it does on the current cars. Will be interesting to see what it does to the used market for the current car.

carczar_84
carczar_84 Reader
11/18/20 10:39 a.m.

In reply to spandak :

This.

Based on sales numbers alone, I really didn't think they would bother with an update and just let it fizzle out and go away.

Having owned a '15 BRZ, the new updated peak my interest.  Everything I loved about the car stays relatively untouched, and they have checked off most the boxes for areas that I would have wished for improvements. The bigger motor should help eliminate or greatly reduce the torque dip that killed daily driving. They kept the weight in check, which barely happens anymore.  And it sounds silly, but getting steering wheel controls is a big add in my books, commuting w/ the old setup was not ideal at times.

Peabody
Peabody UltimaDork
11/18/20 10:44 a.m.

No matter how I look at it, that car just has awkward proportions.

It reminds me of some of those 70's kit cars, that, with just a few obvious tweaks could be a good looking car.

Vigo (Forum Supporter)
Vigo (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
11/18/20 10:54 a.m.

Count me in the 'glad this exists + they improved on several points' camp.  I think for me the big lingering question is the shape of the powerband. Does it rev to 7? I actually thought the 'range' of the old engine was good and while it wasn't particularly powerful, i agree with mtn that for me when i drove one it wasn't as much that it was too slow as it was that the engine was too boring in its power delivery. I just hope this motor doesn't go too far the other way and end the party at 6200 rpm. 

I'm really glad they didn't screw up the proportions of this thing. To me it seemed odd (although it's a necessary byproduct of the bmw farm-out) that the Supra seemed stumpier than 86 while the 86 seemed relatively closer to the old Supra proportions. I'm glad they didn't screw up the 86 platform to try and make it less cool than the Supra visually. I know this is a subaru video but whatever. It also reminds me a little of a Lexus RC which never happened before but might be an intential visual tie-in on the Toyota end (long shot). Overall i think it looks pretty good and im mostly relieved they didn't actually screw this up. 

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
11/18/20 10:55 a.m.

More torques at lower RPM sounds nice. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
uuflxlLGnXeoo1bTSJLJ14OAu1XKAoELwADIWOS0uOqsZUrhMIaVauRazNrs8kNa