1 2
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
12/3/15 2:42 p.m.

“Experience is what causes a person to make new mistakes instead of old ones.” We don’t know who first uttered that phrase, but it rings strongly through our heads.

Most of us have learned that painful lesson regarding a hot stove. Searing pain can teach us much: Leave the stove alone.

However, that experience didn’t remove all hazards from our …

Read the rest of the story

motomoron
motomoron SuperDork
12/3/15 2:47 p.m.

Or, as my wise father says: "Experience is what you get when you were expecting something else".

classicJackets
classicJackets Reader
12/3/15 2:49 p.m.

Thank you for not putting them on individual slides . Good advice with the right amount of fun in it!

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UberDork
12/3/15 2:58 p.m.

my elcamino is proof that you can weld dirt, air, and rust. don't believe me? look at the drivers side a-pillar. theres a 10lb spool of flux core staring back at you.

NOHOME
NOHOME UberDork
12/3/15 3:20 p.m.

Wisdom comes from experience. Experience comes from a lack of wisdom.

DWNSHFT
DWNSHFT HalfDork
12/3/15 9:40 p.m.

Wisdom is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't.

2K4Kcsq
2K4Kcsq Reader
12/9/15 7:46 p.m.

Well put. When you accept that you know little, your free to learn a lot.

Basil Exposition
Basil Exposition Dork
12/9/15 9:58 p.m.

Experience is recognizing a mistake the second time you make it.

dotdotdotPaul
dotdotdotPaul New Reader
1/2/16 6:36 p.m.

Wisdom is rolled at creation. Experience is awarded by the Dungeon Master. :)

evildky
evildky SuperDork
1/5/16 4:17 p.m.

"Wyld Stallyns Rule!"

mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
1/5/16 4:26 p.m.

In response to fire: months of healing and a lifetime of scars can happen at the speed of flame propagation. That's faster than you can move. Be careful.

airwerks
airwerks Reader
1/5/16 4:35 p.m.

Stupid hurts.

Austincrx
Austincrx New Reader
1/13/16 7:22 p.m.

How about 'Wisdom, Experience, Money, and Time are all things I don't have much of.' I agree most with...all of them, hah!

livinon2wheels
livinon2wheels GRM+ Memberand New Reader
6/18/18 6:18 p.m.

I like the idea that you get experience first, then you get the wisdom...if you are lucky enough to live through the experience (especially if it relates to fire). Most of the folks that read these pages have a fair amount of both wisdom and experience. I'm glad to be counted among that group. Can we have just a moment of reverence for those that weren't lucky enough to acquire the wisdom before encountering the occasional harsh realities of this sport. I for one feel very grateful to still be on this side of the grass and able to enjoy this compelling activity. To borrow a line from an old TV series...lets be careful out there. :)

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/26/18 8:11 a.m.

I must have read that article somewhere because I have been living so many of those suggestions these past few years.  One thing I will say about safety is that people tend to groan about all of the safety rules in place to go racing, even at the Autocross level.  Experience has taught me that they should be considered the bare minimum, if you can do more you should, but NEVER circumvent the rules or go cheap on safety.  The one thing in your car that can't be welded back together is you. 

rdcyclist
rdcyclist GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/26/18 9:11 a.m.

Safety Third.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/26/18 10:40 a.m.

If you ignore everything else, take this one to heart. Shoot Your Friends. And expand it to include family.  

I've been shooting digital pictures since Sony came out with the Mavica camera in the 90s.  I've been sorting through gigs of images over the last couple of weeks. One thing that stands out, the objects I took pictures of aren't very important. And I didn't shoot the people near enough. 

Case in point. I just went through 26, 3.25" floppy disks of a Washington trip from 20 years ago. All shot with my first Sony digital camera. Average 20 shots per disk. Less than 25 of them were people. Lots of Smithsonian shots of crap that doesn't matter. Lots of pictures of the Mall and buildings. Not near enough of the family and none of me. I was surprisingly sad about that. 

chandler
chandler PowerDork
11/26/18 2:56 p.m.
motomoron said:

Or, as my wise father says: "Experience is what you get when you were expecting something else".

That’s perfect.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UberDork
12/5/18 6:30 a.m.

All knowledge can only be finite, while our ignorance must necessarily be infinite.  

pirate
pirate Reader
12/5/18 8:10 a.m.

Experience breeds character and  character breeds wisdom.

Scott00
Scott00 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
12/13/18 3:04 p.m.

The title says 25 tips for Motorsports enthusiasts, but a lot of it can apply to all! Fantastic article and it really makes you think... we're consumed with life and all that's going on around us that we do forget to actually "be present" in it. Don't take the people in your life for granted, because they'll be gone before you realize it and always enjoy the little things! 

meldog21
meldog21 New Reader
12/21/18 7:41 p.m.

Those aren't scars, they're experience marks.

BimmerMaven
BimmerMaven New Reader
1/10/23 7:59 p.m.

The average guy makes a mistake; next time, he's learned from it, and doesn't make the same mistake again. He remembers the pain.

The "less than average" guy makes the same mistakes, over and over again.  Pain is forgotten or dismissed.  "It'll work THIS time."

The smart guy learns from OTHER people's mistakes; he doesn't need to feel the pain himself to "prove it".

And what's the most overlooked way to learn from someone else? Read!....or watch YouTube (selectively).  I'm always thankful to the people who took the time to share their experiences...gives us a head start!

DaleCarter
DaleCarter GRM+ Memberand New Reader
10/8/23 1:55 p.m.

In reply to motomoron : That's a great perspective.

DaleCarter
DaleCarter GRM+ Memberand New Reader
10/8/23 1:56 p.m.

In reply to meldog21 :

Scars are tattoos with better stories

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YVIhEG191fxJfItz7rK9Oak6iIVGBRlFxuMaxOciBeNFHiEZUts28uz7RJ2Dkk0l