David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/21/17 4:07 p.m.

The recipe for a project car is relatively simple: Mix a vehicle with a specific goal and a logical plan. The journey to the finish can be as varied as the people turning the wrenches, and the end product can range from a summer toy to a hardcore racer.

Magazines have been using project cars for years. They’re great tools …

Read the rest of the story

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette UltraDork
3/22/17 8:38 a.m.

Very Nice Deal Thanks !

DocV
DocV New Reader
3/22/17 11:56 a.m.

Man i want a time machine so I can enjoy an example of each like your projects-- 240Z, early Civic Si, FX-16, 2002, 510, RX-7, E30 M3, 944 turbo.... that's the stuff dreams are made of.

AWeinman
AWeinman
4/4/17 7:23 p.m.

I'm reaching the end of a similar build to yours - goal is an unusual street car. Fiat 850 rust out gift chassis, fiat 1608 100 k gift engine, Porsche 901 5 speed $200 transmission, adapter cost more than transmission, 124 spider brakes all 4 corners, Spitfire rack and pinion (to allow clearance for coolant and fuel lines to front radiator and gas tank, seats rebuilt from rusted shells using re-sewn wrong-year seat covers, you get the picture. Made an aluminum lathe out of a re-engineered wood lathe using wood lathe cutting tools - only way I could machine the Porsche to Fiat speedometer drive - well, I'm putting final finishes on it starting this weekend. Goal is complete in time for the Italian Car Fest show this fall, September 10 - Do you wanna hear more about it ? I believe it may somewhat resemble some of your project cars. As I am older than the usual racer, my goal is a good looking, unusual street machine. ART

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/4/17 7:41 p.m.

In reply to AWeinman:

Um, I want to hear more and see pictures!

Rupert
Rupert Dork
4/11/17 9:49 a.m.

I really enjoyed that article!! I owned and enjoyed several of the same rides as well. Sorry you didn't include my two favorite autocross cars. The '85 CRX Si, & the Fiat X19 were the most fun autocross rides I've owned. And the CRX, yes they did make Sis in '85, was a sure fire trophy winner every trip out.

David S. Wallens
4/11/17 10:10 a.m.
Rupert wrote: I really enjoyed that article!! I owned and enjoyed several of the same rides as well. Sorry you didn't include my two favorite autocross cars. The '85 CRX Si, & the Fiat X19 were the most fun autocross rides I've owned. And the CRX, yes they did make Sis in '85, was a sure fire trophy winner every trip out.

Glad that you enjoyed the article. You know, we have never done a first-gen CRX project at the magazine. We have done the Civic version, but not that first CRX.

Kreb
Kreb GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/11/17 10:23 a.m.

What strikes me is how many of those cars that I remember, and therefore how long I've been reading your magazine. One by one I've dropped my other subscriptions, but GRM still ends up on the table. Kudos. Maybe someday I can even get a pithy remark in your readers remarks column, or even, dare-I-say, a car in your mag. A fella can dream....

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/11/17 10:34 a.m.
Kreb wrote: What strikes me is how many of those cars that I remember, and therefore how long I've been reading your magazine. One by one I've dropped my other subscriptions, but GRM still ends up on the table. Kudos. Maybe someday I can even get a pithy remark in your readers remarks column, or even, dare-I-say, a car in your mag. A fella can dream....

Get that thing in your profile pic done - that'd be a good start!

David S. Wallens
4/11/17 12:08 p.m.
Kreb wrote: What strikes me is how many of those cars that I remember, and therefore how long I've been reading your magazine. One by one I've dropped my other subscriptions, but GRM still ends up on the table. Kudos. Maybe someday I can even get a pithy remark in your readers remarks column, or even, dare-I-say, a car in your mag. A fella can dream....

Thank you! And that's an older article from an older issue. Man, we have built a lot of cars.

oldtin
oldtin PowerDork
4/11/17 12:53 p.m.
AWeinman wrote: I'm reaching the end of a similar build to yours - goal is an unusual street car. Fiat 850 rust out gift chassis, fiat 1608 100 k gift engine, Porsche 901 5 speed $200 transmission, adapter cost more than transmission, 124 spider brakes all 4 corners, Spitfire rack and pinion (to allow clearance for coolant and fuel lines to front radiator and gas tank, seats rebuilt from rusted shells using re-sewn wrong-year seat covers, you get the picture. Made an aluminum lathe out of a re-engineered wood lathe using wood lathe cutting tools - only way I could machine the Porsche to Fiat speedometer drive - well, I'm putting final finishes on it starting this weekend. Goal is complete in time for the Italian Car Fest show this fall, September 10 - Do you wanna hear more about it ? I believe it may somewhat resemble some of your project cars. As I am older than the usual racer, my goal is a good looking, unusual street machine. ART

build thread with pics please....waiting...

Toebra
Toebra Reader
4/11/17 1:07 p.m.

$200 for a 901 transmission? Wow, I got a deal

StuntmanMike
StuntmanMike New Reader
4/27/18 11:35 a.m.

Great article! I wasn't smart enough to make my way to the autox or the track throughout this timeline but I've been in the car scene for about the same and I just want to say the quad 4 in you Olds Achieva was the unsung hero of the early sport compact days. It was also put into Berettas and Cavaliers with a 5 speed tranny and probably lighter than the Olds. A lot of people did a junkyard turbo and really woke it up, only problem is they were known to blow head gaskets. Over time other brands increased 4 banger output while the quad never got its due.  

Devilsolsi
Devilsolsi Reader
4/27/18 12:34 p.m.

What wheels are on that 944?

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
4/27/18 12:37 p.m.

Zombie thread.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vDbMg4nZNE40Bq7PKUNW1v3t4bP4Q1VBGwfCmLR3L62s5Pk0yegqfQPpuYpaN62e