1 2 3
MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand New Reader
3/6/14 7:24 p.m.

I know scca rallycross kind of allows trucks(yes, I know that it is up to the chief judge/event organizer.)

On CL there are sooo many full size(F150, d150, 1500, power wagon, etc) 2wd trucks that are dirt cheap. Other than the weight and no weight over the rear. Why not choose a 2wd truck? It would need to be lowered most likely but you can run aggressive off road tires easier, there are plenty of pre runner parts for handling, plentiful in junk yards and on cl, parts are stupid cheap, easy to find with a manual, V8 easy.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltraDork
3/6/14 7:28 p.m.

They're substantially bigger than the average rallycross car for starters. Courses are designed for vechicles that are a certain size and turning ability. Next, there aren't a ton of them available with a manual and those that are have the crappiest motor that was available in the range. There are probably as many reasons to do it as not do it in the end.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
3/6/14 7:33 p.m.

My S10 is progressing along, suspension is almost done.

crankwalk
crankwalk GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/6/14 7:40 p.m.

I think an old Mazda B2200 or Isuzu pup might be a pretty cool little rallycross truck. Keeping the weight down and easy to fling around.

RoughandReady
RoughandReady Reader
3/6/14 7:40 p.m.

Sounds ass happy and tons of fun.

MrChaos
3/6/14 7:45 p.m.

In reply to RoughandReady:

I found an 88 f350 4 door long bed 2wd witha 460 for $1500. I think that might be a little big for a rallycross truck.

RoughandReady
RoughandReady Reader
3/6/14 7:51 p.m.

In reply to MrChaos:

hahaha. That sounds great. I guarantee you'll stand out.

My bench racing rig: 80s c10 with a 350, mustang II front suspension, a saginaw 3 speed, and a confederate flag on the hood.

Maybe just throw a bunch of weight in the bed?

crankwalk
crankwalk GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/6/14 7:53 p.m.

What about a light duty 4wd truck lowered run in 4H?

MrChaos
3/6/14 7:57 p.m.

In reply to crankwalk:

solid axle/ttb + 4wd = pushes badly

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/6/14 8:09 p.m.

Mitsubishi mighty max and 4G63, do it

JtspellS
JtspellS Dork
3/6/14 8:17 p.m.

Lots of FB+FC parts trade out with the B2000's, Its crossed my mind many times.

RoughandReady
RoughandReady Reader
3/6/14 8:20 p.m.

I saw run the 460 crew cab.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltraDork
3/6/14 8:21 p.m.

You guys need to remember that there is a limit to how much power you can reasonably put to the dirt. With crappy all seasons on my RX7 I can seldom use full throttle anywhere but straights (of which there are few in RX) without looping the car. Better tires would help, but even then......

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
3/6/14 8:32 p.m.

There was a Mitsubishi Mighty Max that ran locally a few years back and did ok. Also we had a couple old Toyotas run last year that were basically pre-runners. Fast but couldn't hang with the RWD cars in the technical sections.

Hell, there was a Mighty Max that beat an e36m3 at Sandblast rally last week and finished 5th in the 2WD class overall.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/6/14 10:00 p.m.

I read the title as "rallycross pig" and thought yep, that sounds about right.

RoughandReady
RoughandReady Reader
3/6/14 10:06 p.m.

Not full sized, but how about a Nissan Hardbody. Those are cheap. KA24DE + ebay turbo manifold.

Storz
Storz Dork
3/7/14 6:22 a.m.

A couple people on the Isuzu boards race pickups

Kept it upright

NONACK
NONACK Reader
3/7/14 7:03 a.m.
mazdeuce wrote: You guys need to remember that there is a limit to how much power you can reasonably put to the dirt. With crappy all seasons on my RX7 I can seldom use full throttle anywhere but straights (of which there are few in RX) without looping the car. Better tires would help, but even then......

I am sick and tired of hearing this. There IS a limit, but it's a lot more than what people assume, and your suspension, tires, and differential all play a part. What ever happened to "when you can spin the tires to the end of the longest straight, only then do you have enough power"?

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/7/14 7:03 a.m.

^^^ And that's why.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/7/14 7:41 a.m.

I think it can work. Look at all the 2WD desert race trucks. Granted rally cross has tighter turns. Good axle articulation and lots of travel seem to be the key. Some trial and error to dial in spring rate and shock valving. Coil springs or quarter elliptical might be the hot ticket here.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/7/14 7:45 a.m.

NONACK
NONACK Reader
3/7/14 8:01 a.m.

I had a nice response all typed up and my browser lost it.

Long story short, if you don't care about being competitive, get the longest, dumbest thing you can find and go party. The course workers will hate you .

If you do care, I think finding someone else's aborted project and aiming for MR is probably the best way to go without having to throw money at it. 3 or 4 link rear, a good diff, improved front geometry, and a bunch of weight reduction would be the main things.

There was a throroughly gutted Ranger in MR at a WDCR event last year, and with a driver who had never rallycrossed before and almost no suspension travel, it was surprisingly close to the pace.

eastsidemav
eastsidemav Dork
3/7/14 8:02 a.m.

I'd say compact trucks are fine, but when you get to full sizers, the combination of size and lack of traction makes them less than ideal. Not to say not to do it, but don't expect it to be competitive. I've seen a Ford Raptor rallycross. It wasn't pretty.

NONACK
NONACK Reader
3/7/14 8:11 a.m.
N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
3/7/14 8:17 a.m.
Storz wrote:

This says it all.

Do It

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners