1 2 3
MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand New Reader
3/7/14 9:21 a.m.

liking the look of this.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/7/14 11:50 a.m.
NONACK wrote: What ever happened to "when you can spin the tires to the end of the longest straight, only then do you have enough power"?

Ever try driving that?

Knurled
3/7/14 11:53 a.m.
N Sperlo wrote:
Storz wrote:
This says it all. Do It

Nothin' says fun like making insurance costs go up and ruining it for everybody.

Cars get up on two wheels enough that I'd seriously recommended against ever running a truck.

NONACK
NONACK Reader
3/7/14 11:58 a.m.
Knurled wrote:
NONACK wrote: What ever happened to "when you can spin the tires to the end of the longest straight, only then do you have enough power"?
Ever try driving that?

Take a look in my garage and ask me again in 10 days. Also yes, every time the water truck came out at the Summit Point venue.

Fobroader
Fobroader New Reader
3/7/14 12:06 p.m.

If you are serious, start looking at Ford Rangers....there is a huge desert racing community and the aftermarket is massive. Ive read about some built very cheaply that are hugely competitive.

Storz
Storz Dork
3/7/14 12:07 p.m.

Guy in the Detroit Region used to RallyX an Envoy...

Fobroader
Fobroader New Reader
3/7/14 12:12 p.m.
Storz wrote: Guy in the Detroit Region used to RallyX an Envoy...

That would truly be a sight to behold....did his wife know what the guy was doing to her luxo SUV??

NGTD
NGTD SuperDork
3/7/14 1:53 p.m.
Woody wrote:

My understanding is that truck had a NASCAR V6 powering it and it would go.

Rally trucks have been done. They are traction limited however they do have some benefits:

1. They can use A/T tires that although have less traction than a true rally tire, they are significantly less $$$'s

2. They put up with abuse better than some cars.

3. They tend to be easily found with a posi or locker or they can be swapped in easily.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
3/7/14 1:58 p.m.

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 Reader
3/7/14 2:02 p.m.

I would definitely suggest going with the S10, Ranger, or other small pickups over a full sized truck. Weight and size should make the smaller trucks easier to race and faster.

Bumboclaat
Bumboclaat HalfDork
3/7/14 2:11 p.m.

Do any of these trucks look low enough to pass tech?

MrChaos
3/7/14 3:22 p.m.

In reply to Bumboclaat:

I think they need to be lowered at least 2 inches for a 2wd truck and 3-4 for a 4x2 or 4x4. there was a thread on nicoclub about a hardbody built for the finger lakes ny scca that had to be lowered 3 inched in the front and it has the rear frame Z'd behind the cab to lower it like 4 inches but that was to keep the factory rear suspension geometry the same as stock, but that was a 4x4 truck built specifically for rallycross.

rcutclif
rcutclif GRM+ Memberand New Reader
3/7/14 3:49 p.m.

I've actually heard that you ain't nothin in rally till you can drag both mirrors in a truck...

Rally BMW X5

Bumboclaat
Bumboclaat HalfDork
3/7/14 5:46 p.m.
MrChaos wrote: In reply to Bumboclaat: I think they need to be lowered at least 2 inches for a 2wd truck and 3-4 for a 4x2 or 4x4. there was a thread on nicoclub about a hardbody built for the finger lakes ny scca that had to be lowered 3 inched in the front and it has the rear frame Z'd behind the cab to lower it like 4 inches but that was to keep the factory rear suspension geometry the same as stock, but that was a 4x4 truck built specifically for rallycross.

All of the three trucks pictured above are 4WD and have been lowered.

Hntsvl_E30
Hntsvl_E30 New Reader
3/7/14 8:40 p.m.

Our last Rallycross had a full size that did extremely well. Then there is the Field Mouse, who has been Rallycrossing since dirt was invented.

1782124_10100422726060948_1265418418_n

1620455_10100422723900278_1543010265_n

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
3/7/14 11:07 p.m.
NONACK wrote:
mazdeuce wrote: You guys need to remember that there is a limit to how much power you can reasonably put to the dirt. With crappy all seasons on my RX7 I can seldom use full throttle anywhere but straights (of which there are few in RX) without looping the car. Better tires would help, but even then......
I am sick and tired of hearing this. There IS a limit, but it's a lot more than what people assume, and your suspension, tires, and differential all play a part. What ever happened to "when you can spin the tires to the end of the longest straight, only then do you have enough power"?

You're only saying that because you may have the most powerful 2WD rallycross car in the country ;)

Guess we'll find out the answer to this question next weekend!

And as Chris mentioned earlier, all of is WDCR have plenty of experience spinning tires through an entire straight, even the low-power 4cyl cars like mine. Water+red clay is like ice.

moxnix
moxnix Reader
3/8/14 9:21 a.m.
irish44j wrote: And as Chris mentioned earlier, all of is WDCR have plenty of experience spinning tires through an entire straight, even the low-power 4cyl cars like mine. Water+red clay is like ice.

My stock SOHC saturn did that at summit point.

Knurled
3/8/14 2:25 p.m.
NONACK wrote:
Knurled wrote:
Ever try driving that?
Take a look in my garage and ask me again in 10 days. Also yes, every time the water truck came out at the Summit Point venue.

Sucks, doesn't it?

The generally accepted rule of thumb for 2wd on gravel is that you can't put down more than 250hp. My feeling for rallycross is that anything over 200hp requires too much driver intervention.

Of course, chassis plays a big role. I'd guess that EvanB's Miata makes roughly the same power as my RX-7 but I can put the power down to a much better degree. On the other hand, his car can "turn" so it works a lot better on course.

I'm thinking next year of just putting a stock port Turbo II engine in the car, maybe 150-160hp and 75% of the torque of the bridge port, and then running a really loose diff to get some of the turn-in that I don't have...

edizzle89
edizzle89 New Reader
3/8/14 3:35 p.m.

I now will need to try this out once I get the 302 yota pickup going

Iusedtobefast
Iusedtobefast Reader
3/9/14 9:34 a.m.

You know, back in the late 80's, early 90's, when I did short course off road racing in central and southern Illinois, we did a fun little race we called obstacle. One car on the course against the clock. Sound familiar? Buggies and trucks. The reason I bring this up is the idea of running a truck in rallycross has been done and done well. You can make anything work, question is, do you want to spend the money to reinvent the wheel?

Iusedtobefast
Iusedtobefast Reader
3/9/14 9:39 a.m.

Also, back then, the trucks had not evolved into the half million dollar vehicles they are today. Basically gut the interior, safety stuff( roll cage, fuel cell) maybe duel shocks and go race. Personally, I would love to do what you are contemplating, unfortunately there is no rallycross in the SW suburbs of Chicago

MrChaos
3/9/14 11:42 a.m.

If I build one it will be similar to the old SCCA Pro-ITT trucks

stock other than safety equipment, lowered 2 inched and special torsion bars.

MrChaos
3/9/14 4:45 p.m.

OK I might be going a little crazy here, but hear me out.
A Nissan Hardbody truck Plus a Ford 1.0 Ecoboost plus a miata 5 speed = perfect rallycross truck.

Maroon92
Maroon92 MegaDork
3/9/14 5:52 p.m.

I ran one event in this beast -

This is my old rig -

I haven't rallycrossed in over a year, unfortunately.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/20/17 7:18 p.m.
irish44j wrote: There was a Mitsubishi Mighty Max that ran locally a few years back and did ok. Also we had a couple old Toyotas run last year that were basically pre-runners. Fast but couldn't hang with the RWD cars in the technical sections. Hell, there was a Mighty Max that beat an e36m3 at Sandblast rally last week and finished 5th in the 2WD class overall.

Not a canoe, just reviving a zombie because it was the very first listing on Google when I searched "scca rallycross truck".

I am actively trying to get rid of the cop car, which is a problem because it's the only vehicle I have that's rally cross legal. I need a truck(preferably) or SUV or something than can carry a full sheet of plywood or a load of steel.

On the drive home today, I started wondering if I could lower and run a pickup truck. Even if it's just an extended cab(requirement) S10 or Ranger, with the right options I could tow a vehicle with one, and haul all kinds of stuff. Would that be the answer to my do it all vehicle dilemma? Particularly because I don't care about competitiveness and have no desire to campaign a season to nationals.

I could also sell the cop car, buy a hard top and a beater truck, but then I'd be stuck driving a miata with a hard top on it to events which is not fun or comfortable for me in the least.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Xi7Cfw7qAzuGjvQ4lz0tzGxyv4u1OW22xDVTZj4bRaAYWGwextNcQ8RcEhHNMvbx