1 2 3
asphalt_gundam
asphalt_gundam Reader
1/20/21 10:01 a.m.

The EFI head "fastburn" is the definition of valve shroud. Would not recommend without heavy combustion chamber porting. I did a lot of porting on these way back (data is probably still up on fordsix forum) and the carb head is so much better in stock form for air flow. The "fastburn" head is a huge factor in why going EFI, massively improved intake design, and better exhaust manifolds was only worth 10hp increase in factory rating over a carb engine.

wspohn
wspohn SuperDork
1/20/21 11:36 a.m.

The 300 is a big heavy engine but there are smaller displacement Ford I6 engines that work well for that sort of project.

A friend is sticking a 200 ci Ford into an MGB - see https://www.mgexp.com/forum/mg-engine-swaps-forum.40/ford-inline-6-t5-swap.2895734/

I told him he just had to use triple SU carbs like I did on my modified MGC

slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
1/20/21 12:55 p.m.

I just remembered something. There's a computer game called "Automation" where you design your own cars and engines. I built a 300ci inline 6, iron block, just like the Ford, and boosted it to the moon and put it in the back of a supercar design. It was awesome. Probably wouldn't work as good in real life, but c'mon, who wouldn't like a mid-engine inline-six supercar?

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
1/20/21 1:47 p.m.
slowbird said:

who wouldn't like a mid-engine inline-six supercar?

It was called the M1

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/21/21 7:52 p.m.

God, these tuck up in place so nicely.  I think you could even retain the AC box and everything.  DXF files at the link.

Twin T25 Turbos on FordSix.com

03Panther
03Panther SuperDork
1/21/21 8:03 p.m.

That is WICKED COOL!!! What frame is that on? I assume old F1 frame, with panther suspension?

(Jalopy use of F1, not the racers use) cheeky

Mr_Asa
1/21/21 9:02 p.m.

In reply to 03Panther :

For a '48 Chevy I think he is building 

Mr_Asa
2/17/21 11:25 p.m.

We have a follow up video.

slowbird
slowbird UltraDork
2/18/21 12:49 a.m.

And they're gonna put a turbo on it in the next installment! Hell yeah! laugh

stroker
stroker UberDork
2/18/21 6:08 a.m.

By the time they're done with this they'll have a 300 with $10K invested in it...

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) PowerDork
2/18/21 7:39 a.m.

In reply to asphalt_gundam :

Not that I have any serious interest in these, but... how much can be milled from the deck on the pre-EFI carb head to shrink the combustion chambers?  Is there much room to improve the port side of that head as well?

jimbbski
jimbbski SuperDork
2/18/21 10:09 a.m.

From what I've read the intake ports don't flow all that bad.

The real problem with a counterflow head is that the exhaust port is right next to the intake which heats up the incoming fuel/air mix which reduces the amount that gets sucked into the cylinder.  A turbo with an innercooler will fix  some of that but not the heating of the intake port by the exhaust.  

Mr_Asa
2/18/21 10:34 a.m.
stroker said:

By the time they're done with this they'll have a 300 with $10K invested in it...

So far the only real expensive thing they have is paying someone else to modify the head.  

I'll be interested to see what the turbo manifold is, though.

wspohn
wspohn SuperDork
2/18/21 10:54 a.m.

That is a bit of a heavy weight. A friend is putting a smaller much lighter Ford 6 (200)  into an MGB, which makes sense.

The engines cry out for a triple SU set up, but I believe the all have an integral (to the head) intake so you have to cut off the stock intake or buy an aftermarket head.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/22/21 4:42 p.m.

They finished the build series!  Gents, I present a turbocharged 300

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/22/21 8:17 p.m.

That's awesome! 522/597 isn't anything to sneeze at.

My 89 work van needs a turbo, right?

Mr_Asa
8/22/21 8:25 p.m.

In reply to Antihero (Forum Supporter) :

They all need turbos.  I think there was more in there as well, there was one guy on FordSix that threw on a turbo and pumped 15PSI on a stock long block with 250k miles on it and drove it for 50k before he needed to do any substantial repairs

We need to make sure logdog sees this as well.

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/22/21 8:31 p.m.
Mr_Asa said:

In reply to Antihero (Forum Supporter) :

They all need turbos.  I think there was more in there as well, there was one guy on FordSix that threw on a turbo and pumped 15PSI on a stock long block with 250k miles on it and drove it for 50k before he needed to do any substantial repairs

We need to make sure logdog sees this as well.

Yes we do, that van needs to keep the 300.

Mr_Asa
9/13/21 6:16 p.m.

Some clarification from Pat on some of the common questions

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
9/13/21 7:40 p.m.

Neat build.

I like how it hits is peak power (and holds its for a bit) at like 4400rpm laugh

Mr_Asa
6/23/22 7:52 p.m.

They threw the turbo'd 300 in an old shop truck.

Not sure of the solid mounts, but ok.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qlKZm6mC3uZwEVQcG4X0Uk5OEDKUVh0dyNTeiyKLMHTXuWSTqq6FVP6BzUjSQ7WI