1 2 3
Coldsnap
Coldsnap Dork
2/9/17 8:37 a.m.

Some kid in my city daily a 944 that is rat rod to hell. It's seen better days and rust is slowly taking it, it sounds like the exhaust dumps straight from the headers. He guns it at every traffic light change. Seems fun.

jr10cross
jr10cross Reader
2/9/17 10:57 a.m.
Coldsnap wrote: Some kid in my city daily a 944 that is rat rod to hell. It's seen better days and rust is slowly taking it, it sounds like the exhaust dumps straight from the headers. He guns it at every traffic light change. Seems fun.

nothing like winding it out in every gear and still getting beat by a Honda Civic Hybrid.

keethrax
keethrax Dork
2/9/17 11:28 a.m.
Joe Gearin wrote: Good luck! You really can't lose for $400. If you find something catastrophic, you have more $$ there just in parts.

That depends how much farther in than $400 you before bailing if things do go south.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand UberDork
2/9/17 11:50 a.m.
keethrax wrote:
Joe Gearin wrote: Good luck! You really can't lose for $400. If you find something catastrophic, you have more $$ there just in parts.
That depends how much farther in than $400 you before bailing if things do go south.

At this point, he's made it a running, moving car without much money invested (that I can see). I'd say he's far ahead of the game.

jr10cross
jr10cross Reader
2/9/17 12:12 p.m.
Tom_Spangler wrote:
keethrax wrote:
At this point, he's made it a running, moving car without much money invested (that I can see). I'd say he's far ahead of the game.

Yep here's a break down:

$97 - battery

$27 - timing belt

$42 - balance shaft belt

$33 - fuel pump

$3 - new fuel line

$8 - dot 4 braking fluid

$40 - reference,speed sensor and bracket

$16 - brake lines

$3 - starter fluid

$4 - brake line bender tool

$20 - flare nut wrench set (for brake lines removal)

$293 - Total

I don't think that's too bad. I was trying to stay under $1000 before getting tags, but I may need new spark plug wires and a DME if I can't find the solder issue.

jr10cross
jr10cross Reader
2/20/17 9:50 a.m.

Update: Car developed a problem where it just would not start, tapping the DME caused it to sputter to a start so I decided to take apart the DME for inspection. Video below is a discussion of the different connectors and transistors of the DME. Since the DME for most porsches were exactly the same in the 80s this should help others also.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/SebCXP995_0

Also a quick video of her maiden voyage after the troubleshooting https://www.youtube.com/embed/5S_oWbsp0GU

paranoid_android74
paranoid_android74 UltraDork
2/20/17 11:32 a.m.

In reply to jr10cross:

If you need any additional resources while figuring out those boards feel free to check out All Hands Active. Open build hours get you free access to all their electronics and soldering stuff. They have individual components too.

jr10cross
jr10cross Reader
2/20/17 1:38 p.m.
paranoid_android74 wrote: In reply to jr10cross: If you need any additional resources while figuring out those boards feel free to check out All Hands Active. Open build hours get you free access to all their electronics and soldering stuff. They have individual components too.

Wow I just checked that out. Looks awesome. I'm very interested.

paranoid_android74
paranoid_android74 UltraDork
2/20/17 9:01 p.m.
jr10cross wrote:
paranoid_android74 wrote: In reply to jr10cross: If you need any additional resources while figuring out those boards feel free to check out All Hands Active. Open build hours get you free access to all their electronics and soldering stuff. They have individual components too.
Wow I just checked that out. Looks awesome. I'm very interested.

Cool! It's a good resource to keep in the back of your mind. They have lots of useful stuff and expertise to offer.

I'm down there for open build hours Thursday evenings, and my friend Tyler covers Saturdays.

jr10cross
jr10cross Reader
2/27/17 5:39 p.m.

Finally got the rear lights working. After taking apart the assemblies, taking apart the switch, troubleshooting the headlight motor relay,removing the entire fuse box, it was a missing fuse, Lol. The warning #11 fuse got everything work.

She's really starting to look good!

jr10cross
jr10cross Reader
3/4/17 11:54 a.m.

Update to the project. New Dme, rear lights fix, and a dash cam drive. She road worthy!

https://www.youtube.com/embed/jVTZh3YhLo0

rustybugkiller
rustybugkiller Reader
3/4/17 6:03 p.m.

Ok, I'm impressed! That garage looks tight to work in, it's cold out, and your opening up the Dme (among other things) on a Porsche and I'm sitting on my couch reading your updates. Can you send me some ambition??? I'm seriously lacking. Lol

jr10cross
jr10cross Reader
3/4/17 10:28 p.m.
rustybugkiller wrote: Ok, I'm impressed! That garage looks tight to work in, it's cold out, and your opening up the Dme (among other things) on a Porsche and I'm sitting on my couch reading your updates. Can you send me some ambition??? I'm seriously lacking. Lol

Man I got a heater and barely any friends. It's perfect. Friends want you to hang with them and be interested in their boring stuff. Meryl (the car) keeps whispering to me, "make me relevant, I deserve your devotion."

Billy_Bottle_Caps
Billy_Bottle_Caps Dork
3/5/17 11:24 a.m.

Nice to see such great progress in such a short time.

jr10cross
jr10cross Reader
3/16/17 6:11 a.m.
Billy_Bottle_Caps wrote: Nice to see such great progress in such a short time.

Thanks sir, I'm a little surprised myself

jr10cross
jr10cross Reader
3/16/17 6:13 a.m.
jr10cross
jr10cross Reader
4/6/17 11:54 a.m.

Turns out bleeding your cooling system does wonder for not over heating. LOL noticed she ran a little hot on a 72 degree day in Michigan. Here is a video of how to properly bleed the cooling system in a 944https://www.youtube.com/embed/7YQlwnUtdNA

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ASLeIX05xksCKt6IvMwmgoJP3yehddRg8jG4hDeI1X0vuaUM5LhJJ9RImHVSRlVG