1 2
Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Associate Editor, Grassroots Motorsports & Classic Motorsports
5/24/16 3:54 p.m.
feature_image

Our last update had us in a seller's field buying a dirt-cheap 1997 BMW M3. The reason? We wanted to build a V8-swapped monster, of course.

This engine is the other half of the puzzle. We picked it up from a forum member for just $400, knowing only that it was supposedly complete, but in pieces. We weren't willing …

Read the rest of the story

TiggerWelder
TiggerWelder Reader
5/24/16 4:01 p.m.

Those aluminum blocks can't be bored more than 0.003" I think. The truck blocks are heavier but can be bored, glad yours doesn't need it! My 6.0L from a van still had visible cross hatch in the top travel of the rings, you are right, marvels of engineering!

Trackmouse
Trackmouse Dork
5/24/16 7:41 p.m.

That is a fantastic idea. 750$ to learn to fish. Instead buying from the fish market everyday. Thanks for the idea.

Cooper_Tired
Cooper_Tired HalfDork
5/24/16 9:12 p.m.

Did not know there was such a thing, but what a great concept

tr8todd
tr8todd Dork
5/25/16 5:27 a.m.

Learn to fish? Thats like teaching someone how to operate a fishing trawler and then giving them a length of line and a hook and sending him out into the world. Unless they plan to buy a machine shop, where are they going to have access to all those cool machines? Sure they will walk away with some assembly knowledge, but don't most of us on this board already have that. Still looks like a fun way to spend a few evenings.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
5/25/16 6:33 a.m.

Check your local community colleges for classes. We did a lot of work on our challenge car in a class like what Tom did.

Coldsnap
Coldsnap Dork
5/25/16 9:02 a.m.

I've been trying to check my local college for classes as a way to work / learn on my project but finding nothing.. Maybe I'm just bad at finding it as Raleigh NC has like 1,000 colleges in the surrounding area it seems.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UltraDork
5/25/16 9:22 a.m.

local classes are good... not saying otherwise.... BUT a shop with over 200 years of collective (6 people) experience is a complete different story

Trackmouse
Trackmouse Dork
5/25/16 9:28 a.m.

In reply to tr8todd:

Let's see you come up with a better analogy.

Wxdude10
Wxdude10 Reader
5/25/16 10:00 a.m.

In reply to Coldsnap:

You might also want to look for Vocational/Tech schools. Also, community education programs done by local towns/voc-tech schools.

mrwillie
mrwillie Dork
5/25/16 4:26 p.m.

The Wake Tech main campus used to have rebuilding classes several years ago. Not sure where you live in Wake County, but check Durham Tech and Johnston Comm College as well.

Will
Will SuperDork
5/25/16 5:31 p.m.

Need a new-in-box Fluidampr (F-body style)? I bought one for my Camaro and never used it.

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/25/16 5:46 p.m.

That's awesome!

It doesn't matter if he'll ever have access to that equipment again, if he ever needs to rebuild another engine (spoiler alert: it's GRM HQ, he will), he'll know the complete process of what it's is happening to it..

Not only that, the writing/reporting will be that much better from a thorough understanding of what is being done.

Money well spent.

novaderrik
novaderrik UltimaDork
5/25/16 6:19 p.m.
TiggerWelder wrote: Those aluminum blocks can't be bored more than 0.003" I think. The truck blocks are heavier but can be bored, glad yours doesn't need it! My 6.0L from a van still had visible cross hatch in the top travel of the rings, you are right, marvels of engineering!

Some of the aluminum truck 5.3 blocks can be bored out to the LS1 bore size, which is something like .100" bigger.

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA Dork
5/25/16 9:56 p.m.

Tom, I'm a bit surprised you haven't done one yet. If you haven't, there's nothing like hearing that first one roar to life for the first time. Don't forget to yell, "IT'S ALIVE!" in your best Boris Karloff imitation.

novaderrik
novaderrik UltimaDork
5/25/16 10:35 p.m.

Rebuilding an engine is easy: I did my first one on the greasy floor of my garage when I was 18. Used the coin operated car wash to get everything clean for like $3..

f6sk
f6sk Reader
5/28/16 6:23 p.m.

Many tech schools don't have a pressure testing machine.
Inspect the are around the center head bolts on the intake side and look for cracks...

The0retical
The0retical Dork
5/28/16 6:51 p.m.

Very cool. I remember the first motor I did an overhaul on, an old Lycoming O-320 that had timed out. Never told the poor bastard why I declined a ride after I hung it off the front of the airplane.

No matter what the outcome its a great skill set to have and teaches you, at the very least, about why being meticulous in close tolerance situations is important. Also why a torque wrench is important unlike what some would have you believe.

Have fun.

The0retical
The0retical Dork
5/29/16 11:18 a.m.

In reply to GTXVette:

Partly because I'm 6' and was 250lbs and partly because didn't fit real well in the cockpit (One sort of lead to the other.) I was as confident in the engine as I could be as it ran well on the test stand after overhaul.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
5/30/16 6:52 a.m.

Was the seller planning to convert it from EFI to SU carbs?

paranoid_android74
paranoid_android74 SuperDork
6/5/16 8:17 p.m.
alfadriver wrote: Check your local community colleges for classes. We did a lot of work on our challenge car in a class like what Tom did.

If you don't mind me asking, which school was it?

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Associate Editor, Grassroots Motorsports & Classic Motorsports
6/6/16 8:29 a.m.
Ian F wrote: Was the seller planning to convert it from EFI to SU carbs?

No, that's Tim leaving parts in my pile (again).

TimM
TimM New Reader
10/8/16 3:26 p.m.

Is this project dead or in delay?

TimM
TimM New Reader
11/7/16 3:53 p.m.

???

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Associate Editor
11/7/16 4:04 p.m.

Sorry about that, Tim. Been busy around here lately. It's been delayed, but you'll start seeing updates again next week. Long story short: I needed to make more room in the garage before going deeper into the build.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mOouA0GsmYJQGi4LRpYWyTBp1wkfQrOCI1gRy3nYstWyVIfRyLkTnWZXi9hsagfW