1 2 3 4
Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/20/15 2:58 p.m.

A sort of repeat from this thread, except I am looking for a larger vehicle. Budget can probably go up to 7k.

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/budget-beater-with-a-heater-small-midsized-suv-qui/91076/page2/

This would be to use as a vacation hauler, tow vehicle (5000 pounds or so, most likely) and for driving on the beach with a bunch of beach stuff. 4x4, cargo room, reliability, and the ability to put 2 kayaks on top are driving factors. Heated seats (wife) is also apparently a requirement if we get rid of the Xterra. There would be no serious wheeling involved, probably the most it would ever see is a 2.5 trail, with the vast majority of time spent performing the above functions instead. As such, I probably don't need a solid front axle, and a regular Cherokee may be a bit too small, while a Suburban would be too big (my wife simply wouldn't want to drive it). It must be automatic.

I already have an Nissan Xterra, and it can probably perform everything I want it to. However, it is a bit rusty and has a lot of deferred maintenance to catch up on, and it has a constant draw on the battery that, if I am honest with myself, I will never be able to find. Additionally, it is a slug. I have been working on it is a catch-as-catch can proposition and I'm starting to get tired of it.

If I bail on the Xterra, I'm looking to get into something like I listed above. It seems 4Runners are universally more expensive than anything else, and Jeep quality being kind of hit or miss (based on personal experience). I know nothing about the Monteros besides what I read here, but there are a few third gens on Craigslist in the $2500 to $3000 range. Explorers are all over the map, but there are plenty of green ones available. Tahoes seem too expensive.

The net result is analysis paralysis.

Easy mode: Keep the Xterra and drive it until it rusts out.

Other option: Trade the known problems of the Xterra for somebody else's problem. Buy the best example of "X" I can find.

http://onslow.craigslist.org/cto/5262469139.html

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/cto/5263527154.html

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/ctd/5276623222.html

oldtin
oldtin UberDork
10/20/15 3:16 p.m.

I've been happy with our 4th gen 4runner. Nice size - a 4x8 sheet of plywood will fit in the hatch - virtually no issues other than a muffler heat shield coming loose (fixed with a fender washer) and us pretty much abusing it. Only maintenance issue was forking over $800 for a timing belt change for the 2uzfe (I work on toys, not so much DD cars that can't be off the road for a week at a time).

NGTD
NGTD UltraDork
10/20/15 3:21 p.m.

If you want an Explorer stay in the 97-01 range and get the V8.

That era was the most reliable and the V8/auto (sorry I can't remember the trans code)combo was much better than the V6/5R55E auto combo. The SOHC V6 requires pulling the motor to change the right side timing chain. I had a 98 V6/5R55E and it was the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned. I didn't have a problem with timing chains (replaced on a recall) or the trans issues (slip on the 2nd-3rd upshift). I owned it for 10 years.

The 02-10 era ate transmissions like candy. I know a guy who went through 3 of them.

We now have a 2012 Explorer but its a "fancy high-riding car", not a truck.

Brett_Murphy
10/20/15 3:30 p.m.

Looking at 4Runners, it seems that the price is WAAAY above a Grand Cherokee or Explorer. How are the Jeep V8s? I think I'd be looking at a WJ if I go that route.

Jaynen
Jaynen Dork
10/20/15 3:32 p.m.

Ask Swankforceone about the Gen 3 Montero I just sold him for 5700. It ticks all those boxes.

7 passenger seating third row folds flat into floor

Low range/locking center diff/4h that is usable on dry pavement

Nice stereo/leather heated seats/big moon roof/good AC

5500lb towing capacity

And they are a STEAL compared to the land cruisers you could compare them to at least IMHO. It's more of a luxury SUV I felt compared to most the 4runners etc I have been around. The newer boxy 4runner is pretty amazing however

Since you are finding some cheaper ones mine(now his/his wifes) was a 2003 with the 3.8 20th anniversary 109k miles

outasite
outasite Reader
10/20/15 3:36 p.m.

In reply to Brett_Murphy:

There is a good reason the 4-runner is more $$$. After working on all of your choices, I would opt for the Toyota. Less $ and hassle in the long run. AND, don't get behind on the maintenance.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
10/20/15 3:49 p.m.

Was the 4th gen 4-runner available with a manual? My wife has an FJ with the 4.0 and the six speed and it's one of my favorite things to drive. Give me that with cargo space and I'd be in love.

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/20/15 3:55 p.m.

Honestly, an XJ really does fit your requirements pretty well. The size difference between one and some of the vehicles you mention above (Grand Cherokee, Exploder, 4Runner) is pretty minimal, it's as (or more) reliable than anything listed, cheap/easy as hell to work on, rated to tow 5k, could find a nice one WELL under budget. The biggest downside I can think of is lack of heated seats (unless they were available on the 97-01?), but ZJ or WJ seats are an easy swap and can be found heated, although the wiring might require some minor engineering.

4Runner is also very nice, I poked around a few on used car lots before buying my XJ and drove a Tacoma which I liked a lot (mechanically very similar). The 3.4 is the engine you want if going this route, makes acceptable power and has a reputation for cockroach-like reliability, unlike its 3.0 predecessor that had a reputation for popping head gaskets. Rust will probably kill the truck before the engine dies. They definitely carry a 'Toyota Tax' also and parts are a fair bit more expensive than the domestic counterparts.

What era Tahoes are you looking at? A GMT400 should be well within budget, and they're built on what is often regarded as the best all-around truck platform of all time, albeit a bit larger than your other candidates. If they follow the same model year changes as the trucks, I think in '95 they got an updated interior and '96 (I think) the upgraded Vortec engine. Tony Soprano rocked one so how bad can they be

What about an FJ/FZJ80 Landcruiser? They can be found within budget, especially if the factory lockers aren't important to you. Decidedly more upscale than your other contenders and hilariously overbuilt. They seem to hit 400k miles with ease and don't seem to have the rust issues that plague some of the other Toyotas. They have a reputation for being expensive to work on, although I don't think that is entirely deserved. There are a few items that can be pricey to replace if/when they go bad, birfields come to mind, but everything seems to be designed with a service interval several times as long as most modern vehicles. I also doubt you would lose much on resale.

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla HalfDork
10/20/15 4:21 p.m.

4th gen 4runner ditched the weak 3.4(had it in my taco)in favour of the strong and thirsty 4.0.My current daily work horse/enclosed race car hauler(only 16x7 with a Miata squeezed in)is an '03 V8 runner and I like it a lot.

Not a single squeak inside and drives like new,only real issues with these are buy in cost,cracked exhaust manifolds(just starting to get a tick at startup),sticky front calipers(no issues with mine however)and rear hatch rust due to clogged drains.

The V8 only comes AWD which is dumb and its pretty thirsty....V8 runs SMOOTH and sounds very nice with custom exhaust I built myself.

Brett_Murphy
10/20/15 4:45 p.m.

Landcruisers and LX470s are expensive. Like, seriously expensive unless they are ragged.

XJs don't have a lot of rear passenger space. I've ridden in the back and I was cramped and uncomfortable. My Forester seems to have more rear leg room. This is going to be stuffed with 4 people and gear much of the time it is in use, doing 3 hour trips, minimum. I may have to look at them again, though.

The GMT400 Tahoes seem to fall into the price range about half of the time, but many of them have been subjected to questionable modifications, have a ton of miles or just seem overpriced for what they are.

This one is an exception:

https://raleigh.craigslist.org/cto/5274586106.html

belteshazzar
belteshazzar PowerDork
10/20/15 4:50 p.m.

V8 jeeps with the 4.7 are horrible. Bang for the buck win is a V8 explorer, imo. A 4runner is slightly less capable and more expensive, though you'll get some back later too.

iceracer
iceracer PowerDork
10/20/15 4:51 p.m.

Which ever one is in the best condition for the best price.

don't be choosy.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
10/20/15 4:57 p.m.

There is a reason 4th Gen 4runners are pricey. Damn nice, reliable vehicles.

I miss my '08 V8 Limited, all options except the rear air leveling suspension. Wish I still had it.

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/20/15 6:03 p.m.
Brett_Murphy wrote: Landcruisers and LX470s are expensive. Like, seriously expensive unless they are ragged. XJs don't have a lot of rear passenger space. I've ridden in the back and I was cramped and uncomfortable. My Forester seems to have more rear leg room. This is going to be stuffed with 4 people and gear much of the time it is in use, doing 3 hour trips, minimum. I may have to look at them again, though. The GMT400 Tahoes seem to fall into the price range about half of the time, but many of them have been subjected to questionable modifications, have a ton of miles or just seem overpriced for what they are. This one is an exception: https://raleigh.craigslist.org/cto/5274586106.html

Pricing for LCs and LXs seems to be all over the place, and varies widely by region. Deals are out there if you look hard enough, though. I passed on one for $2500 earlier this summer that really wasn't bad, drove WAY better than anything with 200k on the clock has any right to.

XJs really are pretty tight on accomodations, like mine is significantly shorter than my Camaro in overall length, but is an Explorer or WJ that much bigger? (Legit question, its been a long time since I've ridden in either.)

What about Pathfinders? Vitara/Grand Vitara? I think I've heard some love for them on here before. Just spitballing really at this point...

untchabl
untchabl New Reader
10/20/15 6:28 p.m.

If you are going to tow anything close to 5k lbs then I would go straight to the Tahoe/Yukon and skip those mid-size options. My rock crawler buggy and my trailer weigh 4500-5000 and I tow it with a 97 K1500 Suburban. Personally I wouldn't want anything less than a full size 1/2-ton to tow that kind of weight.

I would go with a 2001-newer Tahoe/Yukon, the 5.3 is a great engine and gives better mpg than the 5.7 does. Although I'm getting ready to sell my 97 Suburban, if you think your wife could get over the size issue, and it will be well in your budget plus it just rolled 170k miles and is very well maintained. Picked up a 99 K2500 Suburban with the 454 to be my new tow pig.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
10/20/15 6:41 p.m.
untchabl wrote: if you think your wife could get over the size issue

mind in gutter,

belteshazzar
belteshazzar PowerDork
10/20/15 6:51 p.m.

W163's have a 5000lb tow capacity, fit your price range, and aren't terribly big on the outside.

Brett_Murphy
10/20/15 7:54 p.m.
belteshazzar wrote: W163's have a 5000lb tow capacity, fit your price range, and aren't terribly big on the outside.

I'm very wary of any Mercedes in terms of long term maintenance. Plus, they are a crossover.

Brett_Murphy
10/20/15 8:01 p.m.
Furious_E wrote: What about Pathfinders? Vitara/Grand Vitara? I think I've heard some love for them on here before. Just spitballing really at this point...

Pathfinders have the stupid knock sensor buried under the intake, like my Xterra. The Vitara/Trackers are too small.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar PowerDork
10/20/15 8:04 p.m.
Brett_Murphy wrote:
belteshazzar wrote: W163's have a 5000lb tow capacity, fit your price range, and aren't terribly big on the outside.
I'm very wary of any Mercedes in terms of long term maintenance. Plus, they are a crossover.

It's a body on frame design. I'd hesitate to classify them as crossover.

I'm liking that particular design better the more I'm around it.

Brett_Murphy
10/20/15 8:04 p.m.

Additional info/question: the later Explorers, the Trailblazer, etc. had independent rear suspension. I've never towed with anything other than a solid axle vehicle, and I wonder how much difference the IRS makes. Since rock crawling is not on the menu, articulation isn't as important.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar PowerDork
10/20/15 8:05 p.m.
Brett_Murphy wrote:
Furious_E wrote: What about Pathfinders? Vitara/Grand Vitara? I think I've heard some love for them on here before. Just spitballing really at this point...
Pathfinders have the stupid knock sensor buried under the intake, like my Xterra.

Only if they're old enough to still utilize a VG motor, but the Pathfinders went to the VQ sooner than the Xterra did.

Brett_Murphy
10/20/15 8:07 p.m.

I also completely neglected the Durango. I'm wondering if that wasn't subliminal. My in-laws have a 2WD model and have literally never had a problem, though.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar PowerDork
10/20/15 8:09 p.m.
Brett_Murphy wrote: Additional info/question: the later Explorers, the Trailblazer, etc. had independent rear suspension. I've never towed with anything other than a solid axle vehicle, and I wonder how much difference the IRS makes. Since rock crawling is not on the menu, articulation isn't as important.

Trailblazers never had independent rear suspension. Can't say I've seen the Explorer ones cause any particular trouble.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar PowerDork
10/20/15 8:11 p.m.
Brett_Murphy wrote: I also completely neglected the Durango. I'm wondering if that wasn't subliminal. My in-laws have a 2WD model and have literally never had a problem, though.

Rust worse than the competition. I'd completely disregard any of them new enough to have the 4.7 V8. An nice older one with the 5.2 or 5.9 could be okay, for the right price I suppose. They're super cheap around here.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wovc5mOc3Cf79olMDaU4vlo8TSwv4cwmKqmxGKQhxYZGeJmg6Jkm6ofxzmpubEGa