java230 Reader
1/11/16 8:29 p.m.

Way to throw us off!

Good choice BTW I love my 4th gen.

20151108_133538

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/12/16 12:12 a.m.

The search has already started for heated seats and a replacement for the XREAS suspension.

java230
java230 Reader
1/12/16 9:27 a.m.

In reply to Brett_Murphy:

The xreas comes out easy. Just read the writeups and break it apart at the correct locations. There are valves in certain joints do you don't lose pressure or fluid.

I'm running OME stuff on mine.

Brett_Murphy
1/12/16 2:32 p.m.

There is a set of FJ TRD take-offs for sale. I might go with those for now.

Brett_Murphy
1/12/16 4:03 p.m.

Aaaannndd... the seller of the car didn't realize his wife had to be present to sell the car since they were both on the title.

It's going to be Saturday before I have the car and Monday before I'm able to get a plate for it.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UltraDork
1/12/16 6:27 p.m.

I'm sure my wife has signed many things in my name. Couldn't he have just signed it for her?

Wall-e
Wall-e GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/12/16 7:31 p.m.

My wife wouldn't hesitate to sell anything I owned, I wouldnt dare sell her car without her present. Having heaters added to your seats shouldn't be too hard and cheaper than replacing the seats.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy PowerDork
1/12/16 9:10 p.m.

Is XREAS that absurd diagonally linked system? I always thought Volvos 4C system was useless and expensive until I ran into one of those.

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/12/16 9:27 p.m.

Another vote here for OME suspension. I wouldn't bother with stock take-offs.

Brett_Murphy
1/13/16 11:10 a.m.
Mazdax605 wrote: I'm sure my wife has signed many things in my name. Couldn't he have just signed it for her?

He could not, the signatures have to be witnessed and notarized in North Carolina.

XREAS is the diagonal system. I'd live to do an Old Man Emu suspension, I might just wait until I have the dollars for it.

CobraSpdRH
CobraSpdRH Reader
1/13/16 1:38 p.m.

300k on the clock ,huh? Did that give you any pause?

I know these are great trucks that last forever (coming from a previous 3rd Gen Sport owner), but as I've been searching the 4th Gens like yours I wonder if they will still show the same reliability from the earlier generations.

I find a ton of them with between 150-200k, but I wonder what I'm in for in the coming years. If it's just suspension, brakes, etc. then I could just upgrade my way to a nice rig, but trans/engine problems would be another story.

Brett_Murphy
1/13/16 2:28 p.m.

The price on one with almost 300k unit was less than half what one with 198k would cost. The same engine in the Land Cruiser is known to do 300k with no leaks. I'm more worried about the transmission, to be honest. That said, I can buy and install another 2UZ-FE and transmission for the difference.

That being said, besides the timing belt, it seems like the previous owners were really picky about things. I looked up the dealer service records at the Toyota Owners portal and there are records with entries like: "WHEEL/TIRE CONCERN, INT TRIM CONCERN, ALIGNMENT" so it seems like they ran to the dealer quite a bit for even minor problems.

Granted, it might very well come back to bite me in the tuckus. It wouldn't be the first time I made a mistake.

CobraSpdRH
CobraSpdRH Reader
1/13/16 2:57 p.m.

Funny enough, I'd put my money on your 300k Toyota over some other brands with less than 100k. Mine never gave me a single problem, and I have been missing it lately. Seems like the higher mileage ones present a nice opportunity as they are considerably less.

Looks like the 6 cylinder in the 4th Gen has a timing chain, which might be nice.

Oh, and as someone else said t4r.org has a ton of information, DIY, etc.

Brett_Murphy
1/14/16 12:54 p.m.

Alright, consider this a wrap. I'm going to make a build thread in the other section before I even have the vehicle in my hands, because that is WHAT WE DO.

92dxman
92dxman SuperDork
1/14/16 1:05 p.m.

TL:DR..what did you end up getting?

Brett_Murphy
1/14/16 3:18 p.m.

A 4Runner, since towing duty is, for the foreseeable future, a 14 foot aluminum boat that weighs about 750 pounds absolutely full of gear. It might happen that someday I may want to tow a bigger boat, but it's unlikely to approach 5000 pounds of boat and gear.

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla HalfDork
1/14/16 4:31 p.m.

Your runner has a 7000lb tow rating btw.

I tow close to 6 with mine without much fuss.

Brett_Murphy
1/14/16 4:57 p.m.

I didn't look in the manual, but research said it was 5000 with 500 tongue unless it is a weight distributing hitch. Still, 5000 is going to be plenty, most likely.

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla HalfDork
1/14/16 6:18 p.m.

V8's came with the tow pkg which is nice.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
uEfPfpoUcmgzNycT74TQRWwrGthWPNubWEpfm1ggPepjYniseRZDNuiaOnV46zgp