1 2
WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/9/17 7:26 p.m.
Stefan wrote: The main hoop isn't a single piece.

Drivers side is :) based on the research I did before I built it, I figured the worst case scenario was that a passenger wouldn't be allowed since that connection isn't contiguous.

stan_d
stan_d SuperDork
2/10/17 5:35 a.m.

So a harness bar is not good. What about a race seat and stock belts? The car is not fast enough for a roll bar the car will live on the street. With accasional autocross. The seat will only be temporarily installed.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
2/10/17 10:45 a.m.
WonkoTheSane wrote:
Stefan wrote: The main hoop isn't a single piece.
Drivers side is :) based on the research I did before I built it, I figured the worst case scenario was that a passenger wouldn't be allowed since that connection isn't contiguous.

If you're so confident in what is safe, why are you asking?

Kylini
Kylini Dork
2/10/17 10:53 a.m.
stan_d wrote: So a harness bar is not good. What about a race seat and stock belts? The car is not fast enough for a roll bar the car will live on the street. With accasional autocross. The seat will only be temporarily installed.

A racing seat with safely routed stock belts should be just fine. Even an aluminum seat without back brace should be acceptable because deformation is expected with stock seat belts and enabled air bags. Just make sure you have equal protection for your instructor if doing PDX/HDPE.

As a side note, you might need a removable steering wheel depending on your level of flexibility and how thick your gams are. Both are allowed (with weight limits) in SCCA STS/STR if staying within those rules is important to you.

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/10/17 12:11 p.m.

Sooo.... you're proposing more work to temporarily fit a racing seat for a single trackday. In your street car. Which is a Miata.

You sir are not living up to your screen name.

Personally, I'd leave it alone, get a CG-lock and go have some fun on track and spend the time worrying about many, many other things.

Blaise
Blaise New Reader
5/10/17 9:29 a.m.

I wouldn't run that bar, but it's your safety and it's up to your instructor if he would get in.

I mean that in the most sincere way. I used to track bikes, where 'yeah throw some cow skin over your butt you'll be fine' is the standard. For bikes with over 100hp and <600lb total vehicle/driver weight. I'm sure there's plenty of folks who would be fine running it.

Out of interest, where's the 5th and 6th mounting point? I count four.

Tom1200
Tom1200 HalfDork
5/11/17 1:05 a.m.

In the mid to late 90s I raced SCCA Showroom Stock C with a 1990 Miata, at the time you still had to run the stock seats. I seem to recall either the seat was modified for the shoulder belts or the belts were crisscrossed.

I have no issue with running a proper roll bar, the stock seat and standard 3 point belt. I said in another post it's a track day and your really aren't meant to be driving at race pace. If you are going to be doing this regular then get a cage in the car along with all the gear.

Tom

Durty
Durty New Reader
5/11/17 12:08 p.m.

I like the idea of a properly sized race seat and the 3 point belts. You haven't defeated any of the factory safety mechanisms and you are held securely by the sides of the seats to the car for feel.

Fr3AkAzOiD
Fr3AkAzOiD Reader
5/11/17 12:27 p.m.
Stefan wrote: Get a CG lock for the stock harness and go have some fun, which is what track days are all about.

I have run stock seat belts with CG Lock and a Torso Harness for several years now without going to an all out racing seat and 5 point harness in the Malibu.

My Miata has the racing seat and 5 point and I would say CG Lock with Torso Harness and foam-ectomy of stock seats gives you 70% of the body movement restriction that the racing seat and 5 point does but at 5% of the cost.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rY8xBYviSCK2PGUbav5K4bklJvlJP9L6aROIvBy8NomFWegXAzAB2z8vIHbF7jxK