1 2
Travis_K
Travis_K Dork
10/12/10 9:53 a.m.

"one of a kind custom" 1970 mgb. Eww.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/1991960283.

bravenrace
bravenrace Dork
10/12/10 9:57 a.m.

linky no worky. I also run from "very fast", ads that use text message spelling, ads that only want you to reply by texting, ads that have a long list of flaky mods but say nothing about the massive rust, dents the size of watermelons, or the multi color body panels.

Fletch1
Fletch1 Reader
10/12/10 10:09 a.m.
  1. Do not have the title (usually the last thing you read after you get all excited).

2. I am testing the waters (not scary, but you know they're after a high price and not in a hurry to sell).

3. "Hit me up" or "Drop a line" How about I just "call" or "e-mail"? Ok, thats only 3 words.

FlightService
FlightService New Reader
10/12/10 10:18 a.m.

"I do not have the title" is always followed with two emails.

1. May I have the address I would like to look at the car.

2. Please send me the VIN.

In that order and call your local Sheriff. They can tell you where it was last registered and if it is stolen. If it is you can give them information from email #1 to go and get it.

Travis_K
Travis_K Dork
10/12/10 10:32 a.m.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/1991960283.html

it should work now.

mtn
mtn SuperDork
10/12/10 10:44 a.m.

I just threw up

ArthurDent
ArthurDent Reader
10/12/10 10:48 a.m.

Very different! The front end looks a bit like a Lancia. The rear is just odd with those batmobile style wings.

bravenrace
bravenrace Dork
10/12/10 11:01 a.m.

That'll buff out.

dimeadozen
dimeadozen Reader
10/12/10 11:34 a.m.

Seller wrote: Was a venerable barn find . Sat in wharehouse for 9yrs covered & in a rural barn/garage for almost 2yrs

Does anyone else think the term "barn find" is really being stretched quite a bit lately?

Assuming it's steel, not foam and bondo, while the result may not be my cup of tea, I'm impressed by the time that must have gone into it.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter Dork
10/12/10 12:10 p.m.

Here's what bugs the hell out of me: people insisting to talk over the phone. I'm not a scammer, but I don't want to talk to you. Talking is a waste of time. Give me the info I want, I'll give you the info you want, and neither one of us has to sit there and blab at each other to get it.

And being in california, the scariest words are "runs great, you smog".

kb58
kb58 Reader
10/12/10 12:20 p.m.

"I'm selling for a friend."

stuart in mn
stuart in mn SuperDork
10/12/10 12:21 p.m.
ReverendDexter wrote: Here's what bugs the hell out of me: people insisting to talk over the phone.

I'd much rather talk on the phone than via email.

kb58
kb58 Reader
10/12/10 12:23 p.m.
stuart in mn wrote:
ReverendDexter wrote: Here's what bugs the hell out of me: people insisting to talk over the phone.
I'd much rather talk on the phone than via email.

Plus it tests their responsiveness, both time-wise and mentally...

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter Dork
10/12/10 12:24 p.m.
stuart in mn wrote: I'd much rather talk on the phone than via email.

How old are you? I find that attitude mostly with 40-and-over.

itsatrap
itsatrap New Reader
10/12/10 2:01 p.m.

I'm 27 and I much prefer the over the phone conversation. I think you can feel out a person better over the phone than in an e-mail, helps to weed out the shysters. Plus I don't like going back and forth all day in e-mails when one 15 minute conversation over a phone could have sufficed.

Sofa King
Sofa King Reader
10/12/10 2:06 p.m.

Oh the humanity!

itsatrap
itsatrap New Reader
10/12/10 2:10 p.m.
Sofa King wrote: Oh the humanity!

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog Dork
10/12/10 2:25 p.m.
itsatrap wrote: I much prefer the over the phone conversation. I think you can feel out a person better over the phone than in an e-mail, helps to weed out the shysters. Plus I don't like going back and forth all day in e-mails when one 15 minute conversation over a phone could have sufficed.

I agree 1000%

bravenrace
bravenrace Dork
10/12/10 2:34 p.m.

I hate the phone. I'll talk to someone when I start to get real serious about something, but otherwise I'd rather email. And I'm 50.

bludroptop
bludroptop SuperDork
10/12/10 3:31 p.m.

I recently sold a car to a buyer on the opposite coast. A 20 minute phone conversation sealed the deal for both parties - transforming us both from terrified of being ripped-off to 95% comfortable with the transaction.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt Dork
10/12/10 3:33 p.m.
Travis_K wrote: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/1991960283.html it should work now.

Looks like the product of an unholy crossbreed between a '70 1/2 Camaro and a Daimler Dart.

MCODave
MCODave New Reader
10/12/10 4:25 p.m.

Another five word craigslist phrase that annoys me is "I know what it's worth."

This usually translates to: "I once saw a car vaguely similar to this that was personally hand-restored by Chip Foose get sold at auction for a lot of money to a tipsy hedge-fund manager for whom money has no meaning and who was trying to be a big-shot on TV, so now I am asking $X,000 for a rusty non-running hulk of what was once a slightly above-average car."

integraguy
integraguy Dork
10/12/10 5:03 p.m.

"How old are you?"

Apparently, you don't watch much People's Court. At least once a week there is a case involving a parent who wants to get the money back that their teenager spent on.....well, pretty much ANYTHING. If you are a minor, any contract you sign is invalid / unenforceable. Therefore, if the "kid" blows up his new car on the way home, no matter who's fault / what happened, he can get his money back and you can get your now very tired car back. Not sure, but there may not be a time limit to "second thoughts" in this case. If he is still 16-17, and it's been WEEKS....he/she can still get their money back and you are on the hook with a dead or nearly dead car.

integraguy
integraguy Dork
10/12/10 5:10 p.m.

As far as this "MG"....it would have been quite a nice car, once upon a time. This attempt at one of a kind customization really kills it tho.

Why, if folks are throwing taste out the window, do they keep the grille badge? Why not go with a custom badge? The owner's initials, maybe?

And I realize that Ca. has nice weather nearly year around (I was stationed in Northern Ca. in the '80s) if this guy thinks "it's summertime" in October....well, that pretty much explains this "dog's breakfast" of a car.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
10/12/10 5:28 p.m.

Call for a good time...

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ihXRsF3hpE9U9V4GqbGrxTUt4ugJSMUQHauUZ77LMLYuHHt8EtmvC3PgtQkfnfuB