1 2 3 4
Jordan Rimpela
Jordan Rimpela Digital Editor
8/22/19 3:39 p.m.
feature_image

For sale: Flyin’ Miata-built, V8-powered ND. This Miata isn't powered by just any run-of-the-mill V8, though, it's a 525-horsepower, Lingenfelter-built LS3. 

It's currently listed on Bring a Trailer with a bid of $45,259 with six days to go at the time of this writing. And just look at (and listen to) this thing.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/E86yXK8cdrU

https://www.youtube.com/embed/EodZntzidkM?start=45

Read the rest of the story

300zxfreak
300zxfreak New Reader
8/22/19 3:50 p.m.

One has to wonder why current owner is parting with it after so few miles.......

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/22/19 4:18 p.m.

FYI, this is not FM’s own car. It’s a customer car. We’re taking care of the listing because he asked for help selling, and we take care of our V8 customers.  

The customer is moving on for various reasons of his own. Nothing wrong with the car. Take advantage. 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
8/22/19 4:20 p.m.

So, guesses as to the hammer price? Impressed with the bidding so far. 

Hasbro
Hasbro SuperDork
8/22/19 5:57 p.m.

Just stunning. Are those exhaust cutouts between the muffler pipe routing?

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/22/19 6:13 p.m.

The only v8 miata I'd pay for if I could. Is an FM ND 

Keith Tanner
8/22/19 7:59 p.m.
Hasbro said:

They sure are. It allows you to use sheer sonic energy to propel the car. 

Keith Tanner
8/22/19 8:00 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

So, guesses as to the hammer price? Impressed with the bidding so far. 

Look at it this way, it’s still cheaper than a Global Cup car!

I'm hoping for a hammer price that starts with 7. 

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/22/19 8:23 p.m.

So basically to have a legal install in TX you need a '16 Z28 LS engine complete (accessories fit?), and a 98-02 F body spec T-56?  The TR-6060 does not fit?  Curious as this could be my ultimate car project.... costs appear on par with building a full Cobra kit, but this seems way more refined.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/22/19 9:23 p.m.

I passed TX emissions with Betty with no issues. Honestly they never even asked about the engine age. All they cared about was the no codes and the gas cap test. Other than that, even at the sticker stop I never had an issue. 

Kieth, this was the one you were building when I picked up Betty right? I remember the Lingenfelter engine part and the car being white so I'm figuring it was the same one. 

Maybe I should have put Betty on BAT.....Oh well. :)

HundredDollarCar
HundredDollarCar New Reader
8/22/19 9:23 p.m.

Pretty appropriate photographed in front of a Bell 407 in PHI livery.  A hot rod in its own right.

AnthonyGS
8/22/19 10:46 p.m.
bmw88rider said:

I passed TX emissions with Betty with no issues. Honestly they never even asked about the engine age. All they cared about was the no codes and the gas cap test. Other than that, even at the sticker stop I never had an issue. 

Kieth, this was the one you were building when I picked up Betty right? I remember the Lingenfelter engine part and the car being white so I'm figuring it was the same one. 

Maybe I should have put Betty on BAT.....Oh well. :)

So I can just get an F car drivetrain and have it refreshed run it on newer computer and viola?  Man.... this may become my new 50th birthday dream car. 

bmw88rider
8/23/19 4:31 a.m.

I mean technically it's suppose to be a newer engine but in practice, they never even lifted the hood in Austin area at least and I don't figure Dallas is any different. They just plugged in the ODB2 reader and did the gas cap test. More than anything you just need to have a full ODB II feed with I think it was 2 or less not ready codes and you were golden. 

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/23/19 5:21 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:
Hasbro said:

They sure are. It allows you to use sheer sonic energy to propel the car. 

At first I was a little horrified by the wrapped exhaust, but then I paid a little more attention, and it looks like the exhaust has been given plenty of room to grow lengthwise.  Should never have doubted smiley

Armitage
Armitage Dork
8/23/19 8:17 a.m.

Love it.

NermalSnert
NermalSnert Reader
8/23/19 9:00 a.m.

What a car! Just for e36 m3's, grins, and giggles, what is the top speed, give or take?

bmw88rider
8/23/19 11:21 a.m.

It'll run in the area of 175 MPH if it's anywhere close to the NA-NC. Right now at the TX Mile, the unofficial miata record is 176 by a NA that was LS swapped. 

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
8/23/19 1:04 p.m.

I would imagine that with 525hp, the top speed is going to be limited by whatever final drive gearing is in the car.

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/23/19 1:09 p.m.

Eh, don't get all worked up guys.. It's a 2016.   They added like 15 more horse in a year or two.  Save your money.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
8/23/19 1:34 p.m.
WonkoTheSane said:

Eh, don't get all worked up guys.. It's a 2016.   They added like 15 more horse in a year or two.  Save your money.

Ah, true, good point. smiley

By the way, I drove the prototype. (That was the prototype, right?) It's all the wow. 

Jay_W
Jay_W Dork
8/23/19 3:06 p.m.

Oh holy crap

I'd go broke, but happy....

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/23/19 3:36 p.m.
WonkoTheSane said:

No no, see, you need the 2016 because LS swapping an ND2 gets you less of a gain.

AnthonyGS
8/23/19 10:56 p.m.
Knurled. said:
WonkoTheSane said:

No no, see, you need the 2016 because LS swapping an ND2 gets you less of a gain.

Call me crazy but I was pricing 2016s today for this very reason.....  It's shocking what some of the new sport and club models can be had for.  I may sell my Boxster S get the ND and start socking away parts.  I budgeted it all out and it's about the same as building a nice FFR Cobra, and I'm positive which one is more user friendly on a daily basis. If anyone has one in DFW or is passing through, I'd love to see it in person. 

Keith Tanner
8/24/19 2:19 p.m.
stuart in mn said:

I would imagine that with 525hp, the top speed is going to be limited by whatever final drive gearing is in the car.

Not quite. I think 6th is geared for close to 300 mph. Those T56 ratios have a long legged top. 

But 5th tops out at just over 200. Given enough room to run and the improved aero of the ND, I find that plausible. Haven’t tried yet.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
8/24/19 4:36 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:
stuart in mn said:

Not quite. I think 6th is geared for close to 300 mph. Those T56 ratios have a long legged top. 

But 5th tops out at just over 200. Given enough room to run and the improved aero of the ND, I find that plausible. Haven’t tried yet.

Holy overdrive, Batman.  smiley  I didn't know they were geared that high.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
oR9Lxbg4oEQYW55ly50hJxJPGNcndeo1GuLy3Brcdoay4lTiG15XYxYDU2roBXGw