Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/20/10 9:04 p.m.

Seriously, NAPA, Six Dollars and Eighteen Cents? For that?!

Photobucket

I guess that's how you're able to sell new Miata brake rotors for $19.

JThw8
JThw8 SuperDork
3/20/10 9:06 p.m.

I believe it, stupid little brass brake line adapters are stupidly expensive. $6.18 seems about right actually.

Tommy Suddard
Tommy Suddard GRM+ Memberand SonDork
3/20/10 9:53 p.m.

It was only 4.99 at the Autozone closest to Road Atlanta.

Desperate times call for desperate measures.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/20/10 9:57 p.m.
Tommy Suddard wrote: It was only 4.99 at the Autozone closest to Road Atlanta.

That's a bit out of my way.

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
3/20/10 10:14 p.m.

you think thats bad, A regular 9007 headlight bulb is $5, tops, $10 each for brighter ones. My 881 fog light bulb is $10 for the standard bulb with no brighter options, and I have to make time to get to an acctuall parts store to find them.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
3/21/10 12:06 a.m.

^Try finding H1 bulbs sometime. Stupid fogs in the Escort.

I just had to buy a pair of 9004s for the MX6. That hurt.

JeepinMatt
JeepinMatt HalfDork
3/21/10 12:16 a.m.

A single H4 bulb for my Jeep costs $38. And they don't seem to have the longest life. Of course, that's not factory. The stock Wagners really suck.

DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade Reader
3/21/10 12:31 a.m.

I paid $6 for a simple bleeder screw for the Buick. Had to get it from GM as well.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
3/21/10 1:05 a.m.

I pay $4 for a decent IPA on tap. Almost nothing else in this thread will be pissed away as quickly as that. Count yourselves lucky.

WilberM3
WilberM3 New Reader
3/21/10 1:11 a.m.
JeepinMatt wrote: A single H4 bulb for my Jeep costs $38. And they don't seem to have the longest life. Of course, that's not factory. The stock Wagners really suck.

did you make a new harness for them? ive heard of a lot of jeeps having problems with short bulb life on upgraded bulbs/hella lenses while using the small factory wiring. i made a whole new big gauge harness right off the battery that worked really well.

JeepinMatt
JeepinMatt HalfDork
3/21/10 1:40 a.m.
WilberM3 wrote:
JeepinMatt wrote: A single H4 bulb for my Jeep costs $38. And they don't seem to have the longest life. Of course, that's not factory. The stock Wagners really suck.
did you make a new harness for them? ive heard of a lot of jeeps having problems with short bulb life on upgraded bulbs/hella lenses while using the small factory wiring. i made a whole new big gauge harness right off the battery that worked really well.

Yep. It's not that bad of a problem really, but I can expect to replace them more frequently than anything stock. Could attribute it to how much I drive, close to 20k miles a year, a good fraction of that in the dark.

Opus
Opus Dork
3/21/10 1:56 a.m.
JeepinMatt wrote:
WilberM3 wrote:
JeepinMatt wrote: A single H4 bulb for my Jeep costs $38. And they don't seem to have the longest life. Of course, that's not factory. The stock Wagners really suck.
did you make a new harness for them? ive heard of a lot of jeeps having problems with short bulb life on upgraded bulbs/hella lenses while using the small factory wiring. i made a whole new big gauge harness right off the battery that worked really well.
Yep. It's not that bad of a problem really, but I can expect to replace them more frequently than anything stock. Could attribute it to how much I drive, close to 20k miles a year, a good fraction of that in the dark.

If not an electrical problem, may be a suspension problem. Lots of bouncing, hard ride will cause bulbs to burn out quicker

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/21/10 7:24 p.m.

Why do VW bulbs burn out so often?

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 Reader
3/21/10 7:36 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: I pay $4 for a decent IPA on tap. Almost nothing else in this thread will be pissed away as quickly as that. Count yourselves lucky.

Amen brother. They get around $5 for a decent IPA in my neck of the woods, but I figure it's always money well spent.

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/21/10 7:41 p.m.
Woody wrote: Why do VW bulbs burn out so often?

VW service writer job security!

seeker589
seeker589 Reader
3/21/10 7:53 p.m.

In reply to Woody:

Cost breakdown of the $6.18: Cost to make it - 18cents Cost to box it - $1.00 Cost to ship it to supplier warehouse - $1.00 Cost to box it up and ship it to NAPA's warehouse - $1.00 Cost to re-box and ship to store - $1.00 Cost to place it in the bin - $1.00 Cost to keep it nice and cozy in the nice bin at the NAPA store - $1.00

Modify this cost breakdown considerably if it was imported!

I would bet there is a CNC machine somewhere on the planet that spits out thousands of these things in a day from a piece of brass bar stock.

TuffWork
TuffWork New Reader
3/21/10 11:48 p.m.
Teh E36 M3 wrote:
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: I pay $4 for a decent IPA on tap. Almost nothing else in this thread will be pissed away as quickly as that. Count yourselves lucky.
Amen brother. They get around $5 for a decent IPA in my neck of the woods, but I figure it's always money well spent.

That's why I just brew my own. It's alot cheaper that way and is usually better tasting too. Got 5 gallons of European Pilsner lagering in the fridge right now.

slantvaliant
slantvaliant HalfDork
3/22/10 9:13 a.m.
seeker589 wrote: Cost breakdown of the $6.18: Cost to make it - 18cents Cost to box it - $1.00 Cost to ship it to supplier warehouse - $1.00 Cost to box it up and ship it to NAPA's warehouse - $1.00 Cost to re-box and ship to store - $1.00 Cost to place it in the bin - $1.00 Cost to keep it nice and cozy in the nice bin at the NAPA store - $1.00

Now, compare that to trying to whittle one yourself.

HappyJack
HappyJack New Reader
3/22/10 9:43 a.m.

I needed a bleeder screw for a front caliper on an 81 VW Rabbit. The dealer wanted $30!!!!! For $60 I could get a whole new caliper! Luckily I scrounged one elsewhere.

Bumboclot
Bumboclot New Reader
3/22/10 9:49 a.m.

The Anzo projector's in my wife's old Focus would eat a pair of SilverStars in about 30 hours of use. Normal bulbs lasted closer to a year.

daytonaer
daytonaer Reader
3/22/10 10:01 a.m.
Woody wrote: Seriously, NAPA, Six Dollars and Eighteen Cents? For that?!

If you ever have to make some brake lines with SAE bubble flare but want to convert it to inverted flare so you can make everything else yourself, NAPA sells the brass adapter. Much similar in size to the one you pictured, a little more than $9 a piece. :-) You'll probably need 2 per line.

chknhwk
chknhwk Reader
3/23/10 10:10 p.m.

I once paid $0.97 to get a flat fixed at Wal-Mart...

dxman92
dxman92 Reader
3/23/10 10:14 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: I pay $4 for a decent IPA on tap. Almost nothing else in this thread will be pissed away as quickly as that. Count yourselves lucky.

This is why I brew my own hard cider and drink PBR when I go out..

Our Preferred Partners
VKkiL9sgguuCDTuy5YZSO6egVn1ksdk85P7akAa7FHl2YlKSlVkiQM638XHKU9KJ