1 2 3
JamesMcD
JamesMcD Reader
11/19/11 7:49 p.m.
Nitroracer wrote: What kind of MPGs have you F2T drivers been pulling down? And how heavy is this the 5door hatch?

I would think the 5-doors weigh about 2850lbs. The MX6s are around 2750. It depends upon the options.

To give an idea of the engineering that went into these cars, There are TEN possible sets of front springs, and SIX possible sets of rear springs. The sets were picked amongst according to what options the car had. A car with A/C had different springs than a car with A/C and a sunroof. Or a car with A/C and an automatic trans, but no sunroof, Or a car with no A/C and no sunroof, but with an automatic trans...etc.

I fee a bit better now that I understand that the white car above is not the "under $1500" one. The blue one still looks sweet for that price. And yeah, the interiors on these things, unless they were driven by Jabba the Hut, are always really nice looking. They hold up better than any interior I've ever seen.

ValuePack
ValuePack Dork
11/19/11 8:39 p.m.

mndsm wrote: "Valuepack, you know you want to."

You bastards are going to make me taste the Kool Aid, aren't you. sigh

Turns out the closest thing I can find in New England is out of my price range(of $0), and F2T-less, but awesome regardless.

Link.

ValuePack
ValuePack Dork
11/19/11 8:47 p.m.

And just when I think there aren't any...

Link.

JamesMcD
JamesMcD Reader
11/19/11 8:52 p.m.

About the 1st gen 626 above...

DAMN, someone of the GRM mindset needs to buy that ASAP before it goes to someone who's going to drive it until an obsolete part breaks and they send it to the junk yard. HOLY CRAP! I would be after that if I didn't already have 3 626s and an FD.

ValuePack
ValuePack Dork
11/19/11 8:56 p.m.

I can chip in about $50... now, who's with me?

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
11/19/11 10:57 p.m.
ValuePack wrote: mndsm wrote: "Valuepack, you know you want to." You bastards are going to make me taste the Kool Aid, aren't you. *sigh* Turns out the closest thing I can find in New England is out of my price range(of $0), and F2T-less, but awesome regardless. Link.

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG!!!!!!

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
11/19/11 10:58 p.m.
ValuePack wrote: And just when I think there aren't any... Link.

This would be a deal @ $2000. Nice car. The fenders aren't a big deal, i see these in my yards fairly often.

Look for a new member of the F2T club coming soon if all goes well.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar SuperDork
11/19/11 11:07 p.m.

that's a hell of a sleeper. wonder how much more rust...

ValuePack
ValuePack Dork
11/20/11 12:07 a.m.
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote: Look for a new member of the F2T club coming soon if all goes well.

Ha! I figure if I start setting aside disposable income now, I should be able to afford the GT in Hartford by... Oh, I dunno, around the time my youngest is out of college. In 2031.

I'm actually a bit curious about the lesser models as well. A buddy in high school had a '90 626DX (the only car I've ever seen who's rad was successfully fixed in the long term with duct tape) that was actually some manner of fun. Considering the wallowing, broken, torqueless crapcans I've been driving for the past six years since having klds, I'd think even a base model would be a breath of fresh air.

Either way, the front driver bug is calling again, and it HAS to be cheap, older than OBDII, Japanese, and pissed.

Off I go a-learnin', to MX6.com.

Catatafish
Catatafish Reader
11/20/11 3:34 a.m.

how hard are these to mount to the b2200/fc tranny?

mndsm
mndsm SuperDork
11/20/11 9:02 a.m.

In reply to ValuePack:

We're trying. Miatas got a fan base, why not these?

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
11/20/11 9:45 a.m.
Catatafish wrote: how hard are these to mount to the b2200/fc tranny?

The motor? Bolts directly to B2200 trans. The only hard part about swapping an F2T into a B2200 is figuring out whether or not to cut a hole in your firewall for the distributor, or trying to find the rare-ish RWD 12v head from a Bongo.

The correct answer is Megasquirt + COPs.

There's quite a few F2T B2200s rolling around.

Also at least one F2T FC RX7. Use the B2200 front bell with FC TII internals.

I want an F2T Miata.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
11/20/11 9:49 a.m.
ValuePack wrote:
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote: Look for a new member of the F2T club coming soon if all goes well.
Ha! I figure if I start setting aside disposable income now, I should be able to afford the GT in Hartford by... Oh, I dunno, around the time my youngest is out of college. In 2031. I'm actually a bit curious about the lesser models as well. A buddy in high school had a '90 626DX (the only car I've ever seen who's rad was successfully fixed in the long term with duct tape) that was actually some manner of fun. Considering the wallowing, broken, torqueless crapcans I've been driving for the past six years since having klds, I'd think even a base model would be a breath of fresh air. Either way, the front driver bug is calling again, and it HAS to be cheap, older than OBDII, Japanese, and pissed. Off I go a-learnin', to MX6.com.

Here's where i have to get honest. I wouldn't own a base model unless i planned on either boosting it or swapping in an FE3. (Google it up, awesome motor, direct bolt in in place of F2/F2T)

I'm going to take this as a chance to plug my favorite FWD from that time period. Celica.

If you don't want/can't have a turbo Mazda GD, get an 88-93 Celica. Don't bother with an ST. Sweet spots are 88-89 GTS or 92-93 GT Coupe. (92-93 GTS if you want a nicely equipped car with the ability to swallow gigantic tires.)

JamesMcD
JamesMcD Reader
11/20/11 10:37 a.m.

I would own a lesser-than-GT model. Especially an LX. Same great interior. Same je ne sais quoi. Same practicality. Same comfortable highway gobbling ability. And you are more likely to find a mint one.

ValuePack
ValuePack Dork
11/20/11 10:42 a.m.

Advice well given, sir. Then again, there's always these.

chortle

I think I've hijacked enough. Look for a learn me thread near you.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
11/20/11 10:44 a.m.
ValuePack wrote: Advice well given, sir. Then again, there's always these. *chortle* I think I've hijacked enough. Look for a learn me thread near you.

Ohhhhh that poor poor AllTrac.

The only way i'd pay $2k for that thing was if it was 100% rust free and had a perfect interior.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
11/21/11 5:06 p.m.

Oh PS: Seller of that AllTrac will drop down to $1700 if you pick up by Wednesday.

ValuePack
ValuePack Dork
11/21/11 7:59 p.m.

Maybe if he throws in the 944 beside it, and keeps the wing.

I'd like to make a generous counter offer of $13.56 in loose pennies, a pair of filthy bugeye WRX front seats, two ticket stubs to a Molly Hatchet show in '92, a half eaten box of Raisinettes, and a tasteless semi-nude self portrait of yours truly bravely traversing the Patomac. In crayon. Good things come in fives.

Am I the highest bidder?

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 New Reader
11/21/11 8:08 p.m.

I am laughing out loud/crying right now!!!

JamesMcD
JamesMcD Reader
11/21/11 9:02 p.m.

I am posting this here in hopes that it will not go to a numbskull:

http://dayton.craigslist.org/cto/2674782450.html

These are slower than the GD (88-92) 626/MX6 turbos, but the "special something" (sweet, sweet, 80's Mazda-ness) that is in those cars is more purely distilled in these, the GC ('83-'87). Same great ergonomics, directness of controls, and oscillating vents, but with a more thin-pillared airy cabin, and less weight (-300lbs or so). This is the stuff dreams are made of, people.

mndsm
mndsm SuperDork
11/21/11 9:14 p.m.

Oh man, that GC is sweet. I feel like I need to rescue it lest it go to someone dumb and then get crushed. I only wish I had the resources.

ValuePack
ValuePack Dork
11/22/11 12:26 a.m.

Oh, baby...

Last time I saw one, it was on CL some 7+ years ago and lived a half mile from me. Charcoal gray '87, not quite as clean, similar money. My daily at the time was a $400 Sentra with no floor, and I couldn't swing the money then, either.

I need a lotto hit.

ZOO
ZOO SuperDork
11/22/11 4:30 a.m.
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote:
ValuePack wrote: mndsm wrote: "Valuepack, you know you want to." You bastards are going to make me taste the Kool Aid, aren't you. *sigh* Turns out the closest thing I can find in New England is out of my price range(of $0), and F2T-less, but awesome regardless. Link.
Just a reminder -- that generation is RWD . . . OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG!!!!!!
92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
11/22/11 8:16 a.m.
JamesMcD wrote: I am posting this here in hopes that it will not go to a numbskull: http://dayton.craigslist.org/cto/2674782450.html These are slower than the GD (88-92) 626/MX6 turbos, but the "special something" (sweet, sweet, 80's Mazda-ness) that is in those cars is more purely distilled in these, the GC ('83-'87). Same great ergonomics, directness of controls, and oscillating vents, but with a more thin-pillared airy cabin, and less weight (-300lbs or so). This is the stuff dreams are made of, people.

This looks just like yours, just with more doors.

I'm not convinced they're much slower. At least not stock vs. stock.

And the F2T swap info is out there. An F2T GC would be obnoxiously fast. I like.

I'm holding out for a first gen 626 coupe or a GC Coupe, though. I was going to buy that white one you got if it was still around in spring.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
11/22/11 8:17 a.m.
ZOO wrote:
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote:
ValuePack wrote: mndsm wrote: "Valuepack, you know you want to." You bastards are going to make me taste the Kool Aid, aren't you. *sigh* Turns out the closest thing I can find in New England is out of my price range(of $0), and F2T-less, but awesome regardless. Link.
Just a reminder -- that generation is RWD . . . OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG!!!!!!

Yep, with a 3:63 rear end. The Miata guys like to cannibalize these once they boost.

1 2 3
Our Preferred Partners
DvbKykIxmUKipPJ8NZkQYLTwYebuBbcjjdA34QnMwjQq1hKpdTJTWxvrnH5qEOjQ