1 2
dansxr2
dansxr2 New Reader
6/11/08 11:14 p.m.

Yeah we're gonna change the timing belt as soon as we hear the engine run when the fuel pump gets here hopefully Thurs.

Travis_K
Travis_K New Reader
6/12/08 9:15 a.m.

If it was my car I would not even crank the engine until the timing belt was replaced. I know someone who ruined the engine in a Maserati Biturbo before they even got it running becasue they were trying to get it to start and the timing belt slipped.

dansxr2
dansxr2 New Reader
6/18/08 9:20 p.m.

Well the fuel pump is in and now supplying fuel, but the fuel injectors were a mess. We bought a set or rebuild ones and they will be here in the morning. Also we're working on sorting out the rotted hoses of the car and I must say that the Clutch Master Cylinder Hose is a real Pita to get to... The hose running from the Brake/Clutch Res. to the Slave is toast so after we replace the hose, and bleed it and see what we have. Hopefully maybe a cruise around the yard tommorrow isn't outta the question!!!

Also the timing belt is in good shape as we looked at it, but will be replacing it and rebuilding the tensioner as well as a new H20 pump.

racerdave600
racerdave600 New Reader
6/19/08 10:31 a.m.

Don't let a good looking timing belt fool you. My old 944 Turbo had one that looked good, and even though it was changed only 25k miles before I bought it, it broke less than a week or so later. That's not too bad in a Turbo 944, but it's the kiss of death in a 928.

These are very, very complicated cars, and the major reason they're so cheap now. Fortunately you have help in working on it, but after sitting so long, it's gonna need help in getting back to running condition. It probably has a host of little things. I've recently been going through all of this with a 944 that was sitting for only a couple of months, complete with full records since new.

Probably the most expensive thing to fix on that one is the clutch, and they have a very short shelf life. Once you get it running, don't be surprised if it slips. I know more than one 5-speed 928 that was parked because of clutch troubles. Usually, the automatic versions are more desirable to masses because of the associated clutch issues. Most people were getting only 10k to 20k miles between replacements, and at over $2k at the time with labor, it wasn't a job most people wanted to do every year or two.

Also, electrics are another known weak spot, as with most German cars. A buddy owned one back in the mid '80's, and even when new, it was always getting warranty work done due to electrical issues.

Having said all of that, these are some of the best touring cars ever made. Quiet (relatively speaking), comfortable and fast, and great high speed stability, there's plenty to love about a 928. Only it's running expense and questionable looks (not to me though) keeps it from being a true classic.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/19/08 1:09 p.m.

Dan,

You lucky SOB I lived with an 87 s4 standard trans one for a while. I want it back SOOOOOOOOO bad.

Timing belt is a must ASAP. Have fun they are great cars to eat the miles up on the interstate.

dansxr2
dansxr2 New Reader
6/19/08 5:13 p.m.

Hey Dean! Haven't heard from you for a while. Do you still have the engine? Well we got the injectors today and just installed them and it was still doing the same, start run for a sec and die... so we found the culprit to be a faulty Injector relay. The engine seems to be very sound!!! Next will be the clutch bleeding and then we'l see. My father in law just went to get a new relay and when he gets back he said we'd let it run for a bit and see if we find any leaks,cooling issues, or whatever else. Then the TimingBelt wil be replaced as well as some rountine maintence.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
6/19/08 6:22 p.m.

I can smell the interior just by looking at those pictures.

gamby
gamby SuperDork
6/19/08 10:21 p.m.
DILYSI Dave wrote: I can smell the interior just by looking at those pictures.

A well preserved 928 is a glorious smell.

High-end leather FTMFW.

dansxr2
dansxr2 New Reader
6/19/08 10:31 p.m.

actually its pretty dirty and needs a good cleaning, but I'll do that after the father in law and i get it mobile after the clutch is working. I'm gonna respray it at school in the near future, and I'll post pics of it when I do.

Pinche_Chingadera
Pinche_Chingadera New Reader
6/19/08 11:13 p.m.

Makes me think of Scarface. As the first car Tony Montana buys is a 928...."say hello to my little friend"

EricM
EricM New Reader
6/20/08 3:17 p.m.

5 speed! Rare! and nice!

Good find.

dansxr2
dansxr2 New Reader
7/17/08 11:08 a.m.

We brought the car home from the Technical School here in Chipley that I attend. I did the bodywork over the last week and its basically ready to shoot primer on and block out. With the current way the car sits we have $1,500 in the car(we got a set of 944 turbo wheels and a set of phonedials, and the turbo wheels have a set of victoracers on them both for $250). so withe the paint being ~250 and sprayed by me, we may well be within the price range to come to the challenge.;-) I'll post more pics up as we make more progress on the car. Photobucket Photobucket

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed New Reader
7/17/08 6:08 p.m.

I think it is awesome. Good score and you are coming along just fine. Keep us posted!!

Bret
Bret New Reader
7/18/08 7:33 a.m.

Good luck with that one. I've got a 78 Shark that I picked up for about $6500 a couple of years ago and I thought that was cheap. But compared to mine that one looks pretty rough.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Gj0Xjo7qdRNrUCHfNxO7sCGskcB0ODkVpCzL9YrFFGqIGTmsjT5Ux0C1jBQZQsV3