1 ... 8 9 10 11
wheels777
wheels777 HalfDork
9/28/08 7:52 p.m.

The whole team was over and we had a banner weekend. Herman is in the trailer as of tonight. Tomorrow we'll clean it and finish loading tools. We leave Tuesday night.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/28/08 8:30 p.m.

for the first time in a long time the V8 944 has a hood on it. it starts up great when the starter is at room temperature, so i'll take andy's suggestion and aim a fan at the starter between runs. the list still has 18 items, each should take less than an hour. how much time do i have?

VWguyBruce
VWguyBruce Reader
9/28/08 8:52 p.m.

The Jetta drove under it's own power tonight to bed in the pads. It's loud, slow, stops, and feels like I'm dragging the tow vehicle behind IT. I'm gonna check the compression and the brakes to see if they're dragging.

Steering is weird but this is my first time driving a car with camber plates and the alignment is way off. Also the stiffest car I've ever been in so who knows.

I have come to a couple conclusions tonight.

1. My wife is great for letting me ignore her and spend my time with this dumb car and go to an event where I will, in all likelihood, win nothing except possibly the respect of my peers. Then again, I suspect most will wonder what I was doing in the garage all these nights and showing up with the turdwagen.
  2. I may possibly be the worst welder ever.
  3. Oreo Cakester's and Miller High Life are very tasty together.

Later...

VWguyBruce
VWguyBruce Reader
9/28/08 8:57 p.m.
SVreX wrote: After a VERY long weekend, my car moved on it's own power today. Barely. Ran like crap in every way possible. No brakes, clutch not releasing, engine won't idle, trans linkage binding badly, suspension cocked, car sitting 1" higher on one side than the other, turbo spooling weird, water leaking, overheating, etc. etc. etc. Oh, and it still looks like crap. I can (and will) sort it out, but I'm not sure I can before Thurs. I'm tired. I may be shagging cones.

You and Corey bring what you got and we can limp down the quarter together.

GVX19
GVX19 New Reader
9/28/08 10:01 p.m.

Car is on jack stands. Tires on a trailer i have to balance in the morning. I had to change the fuel injectors, one felled now I have to remap the fuel sys. I have over 1000 miles to work that out

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/help-along-the-way-to-the-challenge-thread/3409/page1/

problemaddict
problemaddict New Reader
9/28/08 10:28 p.m.

One year ago, i was packing for the $2007 Challenge. I took the car around the block for a final shakedown. Halfway around the block, the Check Engine light comes on and the volt meter pegged to over 18 volts.

I've been fighting this charging system problem all summer. I had it licked. or so i thought. It has been charging normally for weeks now. Even got through a whole day of drag racing w/ no charging issues.

Tonight, while packing for the $2008 Challenge, i took the car for a final shakedown around the block. Halfway around the block....drumroll.... The Check Engine light pops on, the volt meter pegs.

This has got to be a sign.

I'm leaving for Atlanta in the early AM to spend a couple days w/ my parents. Or what now looks like a couple days of wrenching and electron chasing in my parents garage. Oh well, hopefully i can make a couple runs before it catches fire

Oh, and Patrick, my starter's got the same room-temperature mentality. I'm thinking of getting one of those computer-cleaning-compressed-air cans to blast it with when its hot. Think it'll work?

See ya'll Thurs!

kcbhiw
kcbhiw Reader
9/28/08 11:15 p.m.
AngryCorvair wrote: for the first time in a long time the V8 944 has a hood on it.

That makes two of us. I'd forgotten what the car looks like with all the body panels assembled.

problemaddict wrote: Tonight, while packing for the $2008 Challenge, i took the car for a final shakedown around the block. Halfway around the block....drumroll.... The Check Engine light pops on, the volt meter pegs. I'm leaving for Atlanta in the early AM to spend a couple days w/ my parents. Or what now looks like a couple days of wrenching and electron chasing in my parents garage. Oh well, hopefully i can make a couple runs before it catches fire. See ya'll Thurs!

Skip the shakedown runs! ;) Good luck on the charging problem. At the very least, maybe you could run the car for each auto-x/drag segment with no alternator and a well charged battery. It'll at least get you to the finish line with normal voltage and maybe a bit less weight with the lacking alternator .

kcbhiw
kcbhiw Reader
9/28/08 11:18 p.m.

I finally wrapped up the driveline this weekend. She turns all 4 wheels, drives, boosts, and has all the body panels. Whew. Not a moment too soon, I suppose. I just need to dial in the alignment. I'm sure I just jinxed myself with the above comments and something will fail catastrophically in the next 4 days.

In the mean time: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceIftybAtFY

Pat
Pat New Reader
9/29/08 5:37 a.m.

If you can't fix it, run it without the alternator. Just ring a battery charger and just charge it between runs. See you down there Mike.

Pat

Pat
Pat New Reader
9/29/08 5:37 a.m.

If you can't fix it, run it without the alternator. Just ring a battery charger and just charge it between runs. See you down there Mike.

Pat

fastasleep
fastasleep New Reader
9/29/08 8:21 a.m.

Problemaddict, I am in Atlanta and I can probably help to fix that alternator issue. Are you bringing another turbo-Dodge? I have a ton of parts here, maybe we can get it done. I am in Covington, right outside Atlanta. We are leaving Thursday morning; do you wanna caravan?

-Les 770-778-7368

spin_out
spin_out New Reader
9/29/08 10:02 a.m.

Loved the Video of the Nelson '68 Bug Drag racing on Cam's site. What I had to point out to a co-worker was that they were smoking some very fast cars.
Odd that Cam777 did not post the times, you would think they would have been handed a slip. :)

I did see that that time was shown as 1x.xxx, and not 9.xxx Must be saving the good tires for The Challenge.

Detailed the Fiero this weekend. My concourse score was in the bottom ten last year, which just shocked me. I'd like to move up a spot or two this year. Here's hoping spending $5.65 of my budget on Pontiac valve stem caps pays off.
:)

VWguyBruce
VWguyBruce Reader
9/29/08 10:56 a.m.

Anyone still wanting to split a hotel room with two others? I'd like to avoid getting a whole room if I can. Beds not required, bringing sleeping bags and have $$$ to pay our share.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/29/08 11:07 a.m.
Pat wrote: If you can't fix it, run it without the alternator. Just ring a battery charger and just charge it between runs. See you down there Mike. Pat

+1. disconnect the wires from the alternator if you can't remove it altogether or if you need it in place for belt routing. a fully-charged battery will get you down the track several times.

bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/29/08 12:46 p.m.

hrm... let me check with the GF if she's ok with random people crashing on the floor of our room.

edit: ok, she's cool with it. pm/email sent.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
9/29/08 1:12 p.m.

Problemaddict:

Not sure if we confirmed the room or not. Looks like my family may be coming. You're still welcome, but you might be happier bunking with the Noors or West Side than my kids. Unless your a big fan of Chutes and Ladders (which might be OK after a few dozen brews).

Invite is open, but no offense taken if you are looking for a roomy with a less dignified approach to a sippy cup.

fastasleep
fastasleep New Reader
9/29/08 5:43 p.m.

We may have room if Paul's kids are hogging all the covers.......

See me when you get there if ya need a piece o' floor.

-Les

16vCorey
16vCorey Dork
9/29/08 7:34 p.m.

I'm sure someone will make room for you. I promise to bring the clothes you left in 2004 or 2005.

GVX19
GVX19 New Reader
9/29/08 9:33 p.m.

"I promise to bring the clothes you left in 2004 or 2005"

You make it sound like your doing new. So what your saying you still have not cleaned out your trunk.

sanyarcosean
sanyarcosean New Reader
9/29/08 9:42 p.m.

DIOIBAR Motorsports is Locked and Loaded. I helped Aaron finish off the Budget and Vehicle information sheet. We pickup the trailer tomorrow night and head south Wed afternoon.

Have a great trip everyone! Be Safe!

Sean and Aaron

problemaddict
problemaddict New Reader
9/29/08 11:45 p.m.
SVreX wrote: Invite is open, but no offense taken if you are looking for a roomy with a less dignified approach to a sippy cup.

I'm in ATL safe n sound.

No problem, Paul. I love your family, but what may start out as an innocent Chutes and Ladders game could very well end up some sort of Chutes/Ladders/BeerPong/Drinking game involving the Hongers. Could be a bad influence hehehehe

I'm sure i'll find some room.

16vCorey wrote: I'm sure someone will make room for you. I promise to bring the clothes you left in 2004 or 2005.

hey, i thought we werent' going to tell ppl about that night...

fastasleep said: See me when you get there if ya need a piece o' floor.

Thanks Les, and thanks for the offer to help w/ the dodge. I'll call ya Tues after i have had a chance to look it over and see if there's anything glaring that i've missed. I'm thinking a fusible link, but i dunno. A second set of eyes would be a great help. I'll keep ya posted.

fastasleep
fastasleep New Reader
9/30/08 8:44 a.m.

Yeah, please do. I am here and waiting for your call if you need help. Let me know.

-Les

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
10/1/08 12:05 a.m.
16vCorey wrote: I promise to bring the clothes you left in 2004 or 2005.

Violation! Violation!

What happened to , "What happens at the Challenge, stays at the Challenge?"

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
10/1/08 12:06 a.m.

I might be dead in the water.

Shifter cables are bad. Can't get it into gear.

16vCorey
16vCorey Dork
10/1/08 12:36 a.m.

What? You're letting some stupid ass cables stop you? I'm sure we can come up with a fix. Bring it anyway. You can fix my megasquirt, I'll make some cables.

1 ... 8 9 10 11

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
An5HEpOc3PqMLoR12UKZ3EHbYxaXj0v9WXFl99sqPfSv4pydaEUQrzYVuSe1lNdO