Carl Heideman
Carl Heideman
1/26/22 10:06 a.m.

There always seems to be an aura of mystery and magic surrounding welding, but don’t let that intimidate you. While it certainly helps to have some inherent skills—we’ll call it artistic ability—good welding is also the direct result of simple procedures, tactics and, yes, practice. We all know that musicians increase their skills through regular study with well-tuned instruments. The …

Read the rest of the story

te72
te72 Reader
1/29/22 2:51 a.m.

I'm still very much an amatuer when it comes to welding, but I find that prep work is by far the biggest part of the job. Making sure the metal is clean, measured, clamped, measured again, tacked, measured again, cleaned up the tacks, then finally you can get to the fun part of finishing up those welds.

I really enjoy it. =)

akylekoz
akylekoz SuperDork
1/29/22 6:39 a.m.

Many power supplies have a chart inside the cover for basic settings of wire speed, voltage, wire size and gas type.  It will usually get you close.

Lincolns latest generation of mig welders has a setup mode where you tell it what you are welding and it recommends a setting, with a range of Voltage and wire speed that should work.  These are pretty cool but I worry about the fancy screen.

How do you get experienced at welding, practice, just like any other sport.  

Birthdays
Our Preferred Partners
FodPCERF3XrgZ1hO9evrsClYIxZG83L1UyJWxlKcLYWGqv5aLNocLXMA3l77wWgz